Now that the JP2C has been out a while...

Discussion area for the new (and first) Signature Model from Mesa Engineering.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

fatbagg
Mark III

Now that the JP2C has been out a while...

Post by fatbagg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:21 pm

How is everyone liking it? I have been a boogie player for about 12 years, had a genuine 2c+, Mark III, Mark iv’s, and a Mark V. I always come back to the IV. I LOVED my 2c+, but for a guy who isn’t rich, I needed more switchable sounds to gig with. I am in love with the IV!

About a year ago I went and played a JP2C, and was blown away, it was so reminiscent of my 2c+, but with the versatility I needed. I’m ready to buy now, but it has been so long I was wondering how everyone is liking them now that the honeymoon is over. I can’t find many clips of anything other than metal with it (which is cool, but now how I use them). I like a fat and smooth lead tone, and a big roaring, harmonic expression. I’d love to hear it doing some not scooped metal!

Eevil
Mark II

Re: Now that the JP2C has been out a while...

Post by Eevil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:37 pm

donnyboiler wrote:The best rock tone of my life http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=74391
Kinda makes me GAS just a little bit moooooooore....
Current:
- Electra-Dyne
- Mark V
- 2x12 Recto horizontal
- 4x12 Stiletto slanted
- Gibson R7 Goldtop
- Custom strat
- Ibanez RG2550Z

fatbagg
Mark III

Post by fatbagg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm

That’s pretty Gnarly stuff! Nice to hear it do that.

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 am

JP-2C is an amp that will put a smile on your face. Oh yeah. This amp is what it is. Trade in the Mark V or sell it, get the JP-2C. I can basically dial in the JP to sound like the Mark V but only better but it is hard to do that with the Mark V as it may not be capable to match the JP-2C.

mace
Mark III

Post by mace » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 am

bandit2013 wrote:JP-2C is an amp that will put a smile on your face. Oh yeah. This amp is what it is. Trade in the Mark V or sell it, get the JP-2C. I can basically dial in the JP to sound like the Mark V but only better but it is hard to do that with the Mark V as it may not be capable to match the JP-2C.
I’m sitting tight for an updated V. I like the flexibility of all the channels, including Tweed and Edge. It would be nice to have built in cab clone, MIDI and a dual EQ on the next all ‘rounder Mark (Mark VI?). But who knows, maybe Mesa will ditch the “all ‘rounder” approach with the next iteration.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

UpNorthMark
Donating Member

Post by UpNorthMark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 am

I’ve had mine just a year and still can’t get enough of it. I play my Mark III and think man that is good stuff then throw the JP on and think that’s great stuff. I’ve had almost all the Mark series exception of an original C+ and like the JP best. It nails all genres with ease I think, just use guitar volume to make quick gain adjustments. I wouldn’t hesitate on getting one again.

Mark
Current Amps:
Mark II C+ DG
JP-2C
Mark V:25
& Lots of Cabs!!!!! (all Boogie)

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am

I’m glad people are liking my video. Here it is on the same gig doing ‘80s stuff with some micro-pitch, delay etc.

https://youtu.be/oeDysCNOfDQ

Y’know, I’ve thought about what I would want from a Mark VI. I owned the V for a year and loved it too. The more I think about it, I want the VI to just be a JP-2C with Simul-Class. The amazing thing about the JP-2C is not only does it sound and feel amazing, but every control does exactly what you’d hope and expect. It kind of achieves more with less - the perfect example being the mid-boost control on the clean channel which takes me right up to Tweed territory. Also I don’t miss Crunch mode or Mark IV mode at all and I really thought I would.

UpNorthMark
Donating Member

Post by UpNorthMark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am

A Mark VI with a mid boost on the gain channel like the little Mark V has would be nice as well
Current Amps:
Mark II C+ DG
JP-2C
Mark V:25
& Lots of Cabs!!!!! (all Boogie)

paulyc
Mark I

Post by paulyc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:14 am

donnyboiler wrote:I’m glad people are liking my video. Here it is on the same gig doing ‘80s stuff with some micro-pitch, delay etc.

Y’know, I’ve thought about what I would want from a Mark VI. I owned the V for a year and loved it too. The more I think about it, I want the VI to just be a JP-2C with Simul-Class. The amazing thing about the JP-2C is not only does it sound and feel amazing, but every control does exactly what you’d hope and expect. It kind of achieves more with less - the perfect example being the mid-boost control on the clean channel which takes me right up to Tweed territory. Also I don’t miss Crunch mode or Mark IV mode at all and I really thought I would.
Buy a Simul Class poweramp and run W/D/W with it and the JP2C, I LOVE running mine with my Simul 295 this way...

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am

UpNorthMark wrote:A Mark VI with a mid boost on the gain channel like the little Mark V has would be nice as well
According to the manual, it’s only channel one that has the boost. Channel two is a standard mid control apparently. Might be a cool thing to have though...
paulyc wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:I’m glad people are liking my video. Here it is on the same gig doing ‘80s stuff with some micro-pitch, delay etc.

Buy a Simul Class poweramp and run W/D/W with it and the JP2C, I LOVE running mine with my Simul 295 this way...
Neat idea. I still want a Simul head though!

paulyc
Mark I

Post by paulyc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Well, the Mark V is Simul... run it in stereo with a JP2C ? I’d love to have a Mark V running all EL34s...

donnyboiler
Mark II

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

paulyc wrote:Well, the Mark V is Simul... run it in stereo with a JP2C ? I’d love to have a Mark V running all EL34s...
Yeah, a good solution. Y'know, the funny thing is I prefer having two IIC+ channels - the JP-2C sounds and responds so perfectly on both dirt channels that I'm unwilling to go back to Crunch mode from the V. I actually have two JP-2Cs to run in stereo right now (not that I ever get the chance at gigs really) for that exact reason. The perfect feel and voicing of the JP just trumped the V every time for me. I guess I'll be holding out to see what the Mark VI brings...

bandit2013
Triple Recto

Post by bandit2013 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:54 am

donnyboiler wrote:
paulyc wrote:Well, the Mark V is Simul... run it in stereo with a JP2C ? I’d love to have a Mark V running all EL34s...
Yeah, a good solution. Y'know, the funny thing is I prefer having two IIC+ channels - the JP-2C sounds and responds so perfectly on both dirt channels that I'm unwilling to go back to Crunch mode from the V. I actually have two JP-2Cs to run in stereo right now (not that I ever get the chance at gigs really) for that exact reason. The perfect feel and voicing of the JP just trumped the V every time for me. I guess I'll be holding out to see what the Mark VI brings...
Well said. I did consider another JP-2C but opted for the TC-100. Also holding out to see what may be next in the Mark series....

Markedman
Donating Member

Post by Markedman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:59 am

It’s as if Mesa boogie made this amp especially for me. Has all the features that I want and the sound I desire.
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.