The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:21 pm 
Mark III

How is everyone liking it? I have been a boogie player for about 12 years, had a genuine 2c+, Mark III, Mark iv’s, and a Mark V. I always come back to the IV. I LOVED my 2c+, but for a guy who isn’t rich, I needed more switchable sounds to gig with. I am in love with the IV!

About a year ago I went and played a JP2C, and was blown away, it was so reminiscent of my 2c+, but with the versatility I needed. I’m ready to buy now, but it has been so long I was wondering how everyone is liking them now that the honeymoon is over. I can’t find many clips of anything other than metal with it (which is cool, but now how I use them). I like a fat and smooth lead tone, and a big roaring, harmonic expression. I’d love to hear it doing some not scooped metal!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:13 pm 
Mark II

The best rock tone of my life viewtopic.php?f=38&t=74391

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:37 pm 
Mark II

donnyboiler wrote:

Kinda makes me GAS just a little bit moooooooore....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm 
Mark III

That’s pretty Gnarly stuff! Nice to hear it do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 am 
Triple Recto

JP-2C is an amp that will put a smile on your face. Oh yeah. This amp is what it is. Trade in the Mark V or sell it, get the JP-2C. I can basically dial in the JP to sound like the Mark V but only better but it is hard to do that with the Mark V as it may not be capable to match the JP-2C.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 am 
Mark III

bandit2013 wrote:
JP-2C is an amp that will put a smile on your face. Oh yeah. This amp is what it is. Trade in the Mark V or sell it, get the JP-2C. I can basically dial in the JP to sound like the Mark V but only better but it is hard to do that with the Mark V as it may not be capable to match the JP-2C.

I’m sitting tight for an updated V. I like the flexibility of all the channels, including Tweed and Edge. It would be nice to have built in cab clone, MIDI and a dual EQ on the next all ‘rounder Mark (Mark VI?). But who knows, maybe Mesa will ditch the “all ‘rounder” approach with the next iteration.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:17 am 
Donating Member

I’ve had mine just a year and still can’t get enough of it. I play my Mark III and think man that is good stuff then throw the JP on and think that’s great stuff. I’ve had almost all the Mark series exception of an original C+ and like the JP best. It nails all genres with ease I think, just use guitar volume to make quick gain adjustments. I wouldn’t hesitate on getting one again.

Mark

Mark V:25
& Lots of Cabs!!!!! (all Boogie)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am 
Mark II

I’m glad people are liking my video. Here it is on the same gig doing ‘80s stuff with some micro-pitch, delay etc.

https://youtu.be/oeDysCNOfDQ

Y’know, I’ve thought about what I would want from a Mark VI. I owned the V for a year and loved it too. The more I think about it, I want the VI to just be a JP-2C with Simul-Class. The amazing thing about the JP-2C is not only does it sound and feel amazing, but every control does exactly what you’d hope and expect. It kind of achieves more with less - the perfect example being the mid-boost control on the clean channel which takes me right up to Tweed territory. Also I don’t miss Crunch mode or Mark IV mode at all and I really thought I would.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am 
Donating Member

A Mark VI with a mid boost on the gain channel like the little Mark V has would be nice as well

Mark V:25
& Lots of Cabs!!!!! (all Boogie)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:14 am 
Mark I

donnyboiler wrote:
I’m glad people are liking my video. Here it is on the same gig doing ‘80s stuff with some micro-pitch, delay etc.

Y’know, I’ve thought about what I would want from a Mark VI. I owned the V for a year and loved it too. The more I think about it, I want the VI to just be a JP-2C with Simul-Class. The amazing thing about the JP-2C is not only does it sound and feel amazing, but every control does exactly what you’d hope and expect. It kind of achieves more with less - the perfect example being the mid-boost control on the clean channel which takes me right up to Tweed territory. Also I don’t miss Crunch mode or Mark IV mode at all and I really thought I would.

Buy a Simul Class poweramp and run W/D/W with it and the JP2C, I LOVE running mine with my Simul 295 this way...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:39 am 
Mark II

UpNorthMark wrote:
A Mark VI with a mid boost on the gain channel like the little Mark V has would be nice as well

According to the manual, it’s only channel one that has the boost. Channel two is a standard mid control apparently. Might be a cool thing to have though...

paulyc wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:

Buy a Simul Class poweramp and run W/D/W with it and the JP2C, I LOVE running mine with my Simul 295 this way...

Neat idea. I still want a Simul head though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:40 pm 
Mark I

Well, the Mark V is Simul... run it in stereo with a JP2C ? I’d love to have a Mark V running all EL34s...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am 
Mark II

paulyc wrote:
Well, the Mark V is Simul... run it in stereo with a JP2C ? I’d love to have a Mark V running all EL34s...

Yeah, a good solution. Y'know, the funny thing is I prefer having two IIC+ channels - the JP-2C sounds and responds so perfectly on both dirt channels that I'm unwilling to go back to Crunch mode from the V. I actually have two JP-2Cs to run in stereo right now (not that I ever get the chance at gigs really) for that exact reason. The perfect feel and voicing of the JP just trumped the V every time for me. I guess I'll be holding out to see what the Mark VI brings...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:54 am 
Triple Recto

donnyboiler wrote:
paulyc wrote:

Yeah, a good solution. Y'know, the funny thing is I prefer having two IIC+ channels - the JP-2C sounds and responds so perfectly on both dirt channels that I'm unwilling to go back to Crunch mode from the V. I actually have two JP-2Cs to run in stereo right now (not that I ever get the chance at gigs really) for that exact reason. The perfect feel and voicing of the JP just trumped the V every time for me. I guess I'll be holding out to see what the Mark VI brings...

Well said. I did consider another JP-2C but opted for the TC-100. Also holding out to see what may be next in the Mark series....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:59 am 
Donating Member

It’s as if Mesa boogie made this amp especially for me. Has all the features that I want and the sound I desire.