Reverb circuit

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsgard

Reaction score
It appears that the reverb circuit is before the FX Loop. Does anyone know for sure? I think ME locked the schematics up in a vault over there.

Yes, the reverb send and return usually follow the triode circuit just before the send/return.
There is one way to tell, if you have another amp, connect a wire from the send of the JP and then bring that to the return of another (you will have to turn on the FX loop on both amps) basically you are slaving the other amp fed from the JP. Note that the GEQ will not be in the mix as that occurs after the FXloop. If you hear the reverb it sits before the FX loop. If you do not have another amp to slave into, just look else where for the IIC+ schematics, it should be abut the same as the JP-2C.

Thanks for the reply Bandit. Your suggestion on the test is a good one. I know in some cases it is preferable to have it after the FX loop. Pre-send is not necessarily a universal routing design, although very common. Most of the amps Mesa makes where I could get schematics indicates pre-send is the routing in those amps, so it probably is a standard design for Mesa.

I’m new around here, and have some other questions about my recently acquired JP which I’ll start a different post for, but in regard to this thread, if I understand this correctly, wouldn’t having the reverb circuit pre effects loop send mean you would be feeding a reverberated signal into whatever processors you have in the loop? This seems like an odd choice. I run chorus, delay and reverb in the loop and in that order, I don’t want reverb prior to them. Am I misunderstanding this?

I just got my jp2c last week and only last night did I confirm that indeed the reverb circuit comes before the effects loop, normally I would find this intolerable, and it is a real bummer if you want to throw up a noise gate to live full time in the loop (as this will kill your reverb tails). But I honestly thought it sounded just fine with my delays, reverbs and other modulation. I wonder if someone at Mesa would be able to mod the amp such that the reverb circuit starts after the effects return?

If not, it’s ok for me, but it’s going to make me want to get an effects routing and midi solution that can automatically insert and remove a gate depending on which channel I am on. The more I look around the harder it gets to justify buying anything but the Fractal FX8 to pair with this amp.

The JP-2C (or the IIC+ which is the schematic I looked at for the reverb location) is not the only Mesa amp that places the reverb before the effects loop. Both the Road King II and the Roadster have the reverb return prior to the effects send, same goes for the Mark V.

So if i am running my noise gate in the loop, am I out of luck when it comes to the amp reverb tails? They get cut. Anyone know a way around this? I run delay and loop/reverb in the loop but I have them after the gate. I'd like to use the amps reverb for a little wet all the time and the pedal for a lot of wet some of the time. Thanks

Latest posts

Back