No load needed with Cab Clone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddnotez

Reaction score
I just want to double check and be 100% sure this is accurate so I don’t fry my new amp. :mrgreen:

From the manual:

“NOTE: IMPORTANT! The SPKR OFF switch position automatically connects a Load Resistor to the SPEAKER Outputs to prevent damage to the output tubes and transformer and allow silent (no cabinet connected) direct recording with the XLR D.I. OUT. Select-ing SPKR ON defeats the internal Load and connects the signal to the SPEAKER Outputs. DO NOT USE THE AMPLIFIER IN THE SPKR ON SWITCH POSITION WITHOUT A CABINET (LOAD) CONNECTED! Damage to the amplifer will likely occur and this is not covered under the Warranty! For this reason, we recommend keeping a cabinet or Load connected even when you are using the SPKR OFF position as an extra measure of safety in case someone other than you (Tech or Sound Engineer) was ever to switch to SPKR ON in a “Silent” session. It won’t hurt anything and only add a degree of safety.”

So yeah, it pretty much spells it out for me that I do NOT need a cab/load connected, that the speaker off provides a load for you but I still want to double check and be sure.

That is correct. What is very bad is to have the SPKR ON and to not have a physical speaker plugged into the jack. That is not good. With SPKR OFF you can do no harm, but you may wonder where your tone is, since there will be silence. The advice in the manual is golden...keep a speaker connected, even if you want the SPKR OFF engaged for silent playing.

In my opinion, the cab clone sounds passable when a speaker is actually connected with SPKR ON. With SPKR OFF and using the cab clone only (i.e., silent to a computer or mixer) the tone is less than stellar. But, with SPKR ON used with a speaker connected the cabclone signal sounds OK going to a mixer in a gig setting.

mace said:
That is correct. What is very bad is to have the SPKR ON and to not have a physical speaker plugged into the jack. That is not good. With SPKR OFF you can do no harm, but you may wonder where your tone is, since there will be silence. The advice in the manual is golden...keep a speaker connected, even if you want the SPKR OFF engaged for silent playing.

In my opinion, the cab clone sounds passable when a speaker is actually connected with SPKR ON. With SPKR OFF and using the cab clone only (i.e., silent to a computer or mixer) the tone is less than stellar. But, with SPKR ON used with a speaker connected the cabclone signal sounds OK going to a mixer in a gig setting.

Will try all the above (except speaker on with no load) :lol:

Just out of curiousity have you tried to record direct with this amp using separate IR’s? I think it says there already is a built in “cab clone” but naturally I’d think it would sound much better with IR’s and a loader like LeCab or something.

I have yet to dig into the recordings as I am still very much in the learning stage with this amp.

Back