The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:30 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Ok. So I did it. It should be here between March 6th and March 13th. I'm so excited. This is the first Mesa amplifier I've ever gotten and by far the most high end piece of gear I have EVER owned.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:31 pm 
Mark II

T85 wrote:
Hi all. Im new here and I have a question I was hoping some one could help me with. I may have the chance to get the JP2C soon but I was wondering how it performs at low volumes when it comes to modern high gain. It doesnt have to be whisper volumes but low enough to keep form blowing up the house or pissing the wife off. It'll be played through a Recto 2x12 if that helps any. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Have you considered getting or trying an attentuator?

From my limited tests low volume is fine. But if you're open to an attenuator I can highly recommend the Torpedo Reload for this. I typically run mine at 60w with the channel masters around 9:30 to 10o'clock and the Torpedo reducing that to about 1/4 to 1/2 depending on if anyone's home. Works amazingly well and allows the amp to drive as it does but keep the volume to as quiet as you need.

For this amp specifically, it works great as an overall master since balancing the 3 can be a bit of annoying since it doesn't have an overall volume.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thaymz wrote:
T85 wrote:
Hi all. Im new here and I have a question I was hoping some one could help me with. I may have the chance to get the JP2C soon but I was wondering how it performs at low volumes when it comes to modern high gain. It doesnt have to be whisper volumes but low enough to keep form blowing up the house or pissing the wife off. It'll be played through a Recto 2x12 if that helps any. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Have you considered getting or trying an attentuator?

From my limited tests low volume is fine. But if you're open to an attenuator I can highly recommend the Torpedo Reload for this. I typically run mine at 60w with the channel masters around 9:30 to 10o'clock and the Torpedo reducing that to about 1/4 to 1/2 depending on if anyone's home. Works amazingly well and allows the amp to drive as it does but keep the volume to as quiet as you need.

For this amp specifically, it works great as an overall master since balancing the 3 can be a bit of annoying since it doesn't have an overall volume.

It's definitely something I'm thinking about just in case. I'm hoping I won't need one though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:34 am 
Mark II

Yeah I definitely don't think you will need one. For the first time I tried bypassing the attenuator and I reduced the Ch2 master to 0. Volume was well below conversation volume and still sounded great.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:22 am 
Bottle Rocket

Count me in the minority that does not like the JP2C at bedroom volumes. I run my master volumes for channels 02 and 03 at about 10:30 each into a Soldano 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers. I have had mine for about a year. It's loud but I live in an old farmhouse and I can turn up my amps louder than I can stand before the neighbors can even hear it. It's loud. At first I did not like the 60W setting but I recently tried it again and now I like it. It takes a little volume off the top (not bedroom volume) and since I don't move the speaker cable when I do it (the cab is 16 ohm) the slight mismatch cuts a little more volume and softens the top end in a manner that I dig. I tried moving it to the 8 ohm jack at half power but I prefer the 16 ohm jack. It's nowhere near bedroom volume but it does tame the beast a bit. I just could not enjoy this amp at bedroom levels but honestly I don't dig any amp at bedroom levels. I used to live in an apartment where sub-bedroom level was required and my main amp was a Johnson J-Station and a set of nice headphones. I would not have laid down $2600 on a JP2C (I got mine new for $1900 plus tax, but still) to run it that low. That's just me. Your mileage may vary.

It is really an incredible amp. I owned a Mark IIC+ combo (wood cabinet/wicker grill) back in the late 80s / early 90s. I do not recall it sounding this good. If it did I'd still own it. Would love to track it down (I think it is still locally owned) and A/B them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 pm 
Dual Recto

one trick for reduced volume level playing with the JP-2C, Turn on Shred mode. this cuts the bass and balances the treble and midrange. Sounds the same as if you had shred mode off and Channel volume set to noon or a bit less.

It is not 10W loud like the Mark V. I did not buy the JP-2C to play at bedroom level anyways. It is quite similar to the Mark III and Mark IV in some respects but there is more gradual taper on the volume controls when compared to the older amps.