JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Discussion area for the new (and first) Signature Model from Mesa Engineering.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Post Reply

Which amp do you prefer here?

Amp 1
4
40%
Amp 2
6
60%
 
Total votes: 10

User avatar
donnyboiler
Mark II
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am
Contact:

JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by donnyboiler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am

My friend brought his fantastic Smallbox round. We did a test in the room by dialling up each amp through an identical cab for the sounds I use to gig with - the aim being to find out which would suit me better.

I recorded the results through my Torpedo Live so here is a studio-quality comparison of the two amps at medium-high gain, clean breakup and mid gain respectively. I'll keep the order of the amps quiet for now as I've decided to turn this into a poll. See what you think...

https://soundcloud.com/end-of-the-centu ... iedmantest

User avatar
Markedman
Donating Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Norfolk, CT

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by Markedman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:48 am

Both are quite dark in tone IMO. I like it bright and crispy!
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

User avatar
donnyboiler
Mark II
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am
Contact:

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by donnyboiler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Urgh, that’s Soundcloud. I have to remember to mix stuff brighter as you lose so much high end to their algorithm.

kingb
Mark I
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by kingb » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:18 pm

vote cast. def very close in many ways. I wonder how much of that is the Torpedo... (as well as my "eh" monitor speakers). Interesting how "marshally" the JP can be.

mace
Mark III
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 am

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by mace » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:40 am

donnyboiler wrote:My friend brought his fantastic Smallbox round. We did a test in the room by dialling up each amp through an identical cab for the sounds I use to gig with - the aim being to find out which would suit me better.

I recorded the results through my Torpedo Live so here is a studio-quality comparison of the two amps at medium-high gain, clean breakup and mid gain respectively. I'll keep the order of the amps quiet for now as I've decided to turn this into a poll. See what you think...

https://soundcloud.com/end-of-the-centu ... iedmantest
I voted and seem to be in the minority! haha Anyway, the one amp just sounded like it had a lot of excessive top end breakup, like mp3 compression artifacts in the upper part of the spectrum (maybe it was just that). But, it was especially noticable on the clean samples. The crunch samples (first and last) sounded similar except for the upper spectrum fizzle-fuzzle (at least to my ears).

Very curious which amp was which. Blind tests like this are very interesting.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

User avatar
donnyboiler
Mark II
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am
Contact:

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by donnyboiler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:53 am

Cheers. It’s so frustrating, I have the files here in perfect quality. Even the mp3 version I have on my phone sounds good. It’s like Soundcloud are uploading at a really low bitrate, there’s swirl and artifacts all over the high end.

bandit2013
Triple Recto
Posts: 3116
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by bandit2013 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah, that is the case with soundcloud. Tone does not match original like you said.

mace
Mark III
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 am

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by mace » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:32 am

donnyboiler wrote:Cheers. It’s so frustrating, I have the files here in perfect quality. Even the mp3 version I have on my phone sounds good. It’s like Soundcloud are uploading at a really low bitrate, there’s swirl and artifacts all over the high end.
Maybe YouTube is better and uses less compression with an HD movie? I don’t know for sure.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

jack s.
Mark II
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by jack s. » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 pm

mace wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:Cheers. It’s so frustrating, I have the files here in perfect quality. Even the mp3 version I have on my phone sounds good. It’s like Soundcloud are uploading at a really low bitrate, there’s swirl and artifacts all over the high end.
Maybe YouTube is better and uses less compression with an HD movie? I don’t know for sure.
I've had good luck with the You Tube HD conversion for what it's worth. I've never had major issues with sound cloud though.

nevermind
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm
Location: Over yonder...

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by nevermind » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Split decision. Amp 1 for first tone, 2 for the second two tones. :mrgreen:

kingb
Mark I
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by kingb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

so what's the answer here....?

User avatar
donnyboiler
Mark II
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am
Contact:

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by donnyboiler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 am

I thought I'd get a few more than 7 votes TBH (one was actually me...) so I'm not sure this really tells us anything at all, but amp 1 was the Boogie. For what it's worth I vastly prefer the Boogie on all three sounds, and even more so in the room.

mace
Mark III
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:51 am

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by mace » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:12 pm

donnyboiler wrote:I thought I'd get a few more than 7 votes TBH (one was actually me...) so I'm not sure this really tells us anything at all, but amp 1 was the Boogie. For what it's worth I vastly prefer the Boogie on all three sounds, and even more so in the room.
Haha. I guess that makes you and me. Although, I’d have to listen again to remember why I voted the way I did. Getting old.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #1b TC50 combo, #3 Rectoverb 25 head

Bornhard
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by Bornhard » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:34 pm

so which amp is when in the timeline?

BTW which amp can we hear in this clip? The last Steve Vai riff was really cool
https://soundcloud.com/end-of-the-centu ... 5-then-v30

User avatar
donnyboiler
Mark II
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am
Contact:

Re: JP-2C vs. Friedman Smallbox test

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Bornhard wrote:so which amp is when in the timeline?

BTW which amp can we hear in this clip? The last Steve Vai riff was really cool
https://soundcloud.com/end-of-the-centu ... 5-then-v30
Thanks, that was my Marshall JVM410HJS.

Amp 1 is always the Boogie, and amp 2 is always the Friedman in this one.

Post Reply