No need to keep the Marshall! The JP-2C can mimic a JVM OD1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
I bought a LE JP-2C a few weeks ago. Amazing amp. Everything I ever wanted the Mark V (which I sold five years ago) to be. It just delivers. (My only gripe is that the foot switch somewhat sucks. But I switched to a MIDI Moose, so no worries.)

Since selling the Mark V, I've gone through 5150 III and then, most recently, a Marshall JVM. When I purchased the JP-2C, I told my wife I planned to keep the JVM and the new Mesa, so I'd have both the Marshall and Mesa sounds covered.

But to my delight, the JP-2C's 5-band eq is powerful enough that I can get it to sound almost exactly like how I had OD1 Orange--my favorite mode--set on the JVM.

My original plan with the JP-2C was to use channel 2 with EQ 1 for rhythm, channel 3 with EQ2 for leads. But I found that channel 3 sounds round enough (especially with the presence lower than in channel 2) that I can get distinct Mesa rhythm and lead sounds using both of those channels with EQ1. So I then set the EQ2 up, A/Bing the Mesa with the Marshall, and got the JP to sound the same as the JVM.

Thus, using my MIDI Moose, I've got on demand five sounds: 1. Mesa clean, 2. Mesa rhythm, 3. Mesa lead., 4. Marshall high-gain rhythm, 5. Marshall high-gain lead.

Awesome. I wasn't expecting that at all.

I don't have a JP-2C, but I do have a JVM. I do plan on getting a JP-2C next year.

But why not just keep the JVM for more tones in the EL34 realm? I'm sure there's loads of classic crunch tones on the JVM that are not obtainable on the JP-2C - like the 3 modes on the Clean and Crunch channels.

Just my 2 cents......

Latest posts

Back