I was about to sell my JP but then I found something.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJgo

Reaction score
I think I might hold onto it a little longer.

When I first got my JP I was very happy with it. High gain, sounded good al all volumes, great feature set. I preferred it to my Mark III blue (since sold) because the III had an ear harshness that I could never dial out. Then I got a IIC+, and the JP went in the closet. In the room, playing the IIC+ on pretty traditional settings it's the best gain structure I've ever heard *by a lot*. It made the JP sound like the thin 2D version of the very huge 3D C+. Then later I got a Mark IVa, and it had the same huge 3D character. Probably better harmonics than the C+, actually, but the gain structure isn't as smooth. (More aggressive attack, though.) It was then I decided I didn't need the JP anymore & put it up for sale.

This morning I decided to give it one more play to try some things. Reading the manual it talks about how the "Volume 1" is pre-set internally in the JP. So, I've been treating the master volume in the JP like the master volume in the C+. I like high gain so I'd run the gain between noon & 3 o'clock, and the volume between 10 & 1 o'clock. The sound just didn't have any bark or balls. Then, I made a discovery. I decided to treat Master on the JP like Volume 1 on the C+, and control the volume level with the gain knob. I did this on all 3 channels & it WOKE RIGHT UP. (In hindsight I know that I always prefer power tube drive over preamp tube drive.) The amp came alive with bark and balls on all channels (even cleans) when I ran the master between 2- 5 o'clock. The gain I'd have between 7 and noon and there was plenty of gain. I decided that the JP REALLY needs a global master like the Mark IV...

So now I'm pretty happy with the amp again. I still can't get a killer classic rock tone out of it like I can with a Mark II (IMO the IIB is THE classic rock amp), and it still doesn't have that magic mojo of an original C+, but it made it back into an awesome amp that's a keeper.

Hey, it is a new dog and may take some time to learn new tricks. I have found the mojo shortly after opening the amp up volume wise.

What happens when you pull the gain control out?

If you want classic rock, roll back on the volume control on your guitar. Heck go back a decade and use CH1 with the midrange boosted (dial in your amp as you described using the gain control to compensate for volume or you can do it the other way too)

I've got a small volume "pedal" in the loop that I use as the master vol. Works great and I control it from my board.

http://saturnworkspedals.com/product/volume/

The version I'm using is 100k pot w/ switch. The switch is handy as I can bypass it and it becomes a volume boost (if needed).

I will have to give this a try, on a side note this is also how you get closer to the JMC 800 bark with a JVM 410, I have also been thinking about selling the JP. I don't get to play as much as I use to and I prefer to play through the ++ or the III.

I forgot to mention, when doing my trick above a boost does help to get really heavy tones.

You can't play quiet like this, though.

Back