JP-2C with midi effects boards

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prssecustum

Reaction score
So I'm new to the forum, but alas I'm in the market for a new amp and the 2c is the frontrunner for switching from SS to tube sweetness. I'm trying to understand though how the amp's midi capability works with midi enabled devices. Forgive me, I'm uneducated as to how this charade works.

I am really interested in running the JP-2C with the floor model line 6 helix to use for rig control and handling most effects like modulation (delays, flanger, chorus, etc) but using pedals for slightly overdriven tones to use on top of a dry ch. 1 signal. I'll be using a strymon sunset for getting light gain sounds with ch. 1, a tubescreamer as a boost, and a wah outside of the helix (oh and a tuner). Does the 4cm have to be used to achieve this or do you simply need 2 midi cables for send/return between the 2c and helix and then run the strymon in the loops of the helix? I'd want to run the guitar through the wah, tube screamer, and tuner directly to the front of the amp and have the helix control everything else (channel switching, patches, setting the strymon to use with ch. 1 a certain way, etc). Sorry if this seems convoluted, I just want to make sure I understand how this all works.

I run my JP-2C LE head with a Helix Rack and control using the 4CM. I run 1 midi cable out into my JP-2C and that changes my channels and whatever switches i set on the amp.

I have a Digitech drop in loop 2 of the Helix rack for my changes of pitch as needed. It absolutely works fabulously. I have not found a need for an external boost pedal with the JP-2C. the fx included in the Helix are outstanding. The different boosts and ODs are also great and there is quite a number in there that work perfectly with the JP-2C channels. I thought I would need an external Wah as well but the Helix Wahs are great and really customizable. I was going to use my JP Wah with it but instead have moved that to my smaller board with my Mark V 35 combo. You may be able to save yourself some headaches and setup issues by really using as much as you can from the box itself....it is that good! I picked up the Mission Expression pedal for helix with the switch on it and it works perfectly and maintains that Wah feel in a pedal.

I use mine live regularly and the tuner is great for that. I use a Turbo tuner mini for setting up my guitars.

Back