Reverb wash....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I get a very harsh reverb washon channel 1 clean when switching from channel 2 or channel 3. Is this normal?

Lets say I'm playing on channel 2, I stop, then switch to channel 1 and I get a weird reverb wash.

It has been a while since I have used the JP-2C but when I was going through all of the features and such that is one thing I noticed was not there, Reverb wash or effect kill and fade in. Now I have to play with the amp and see if it does do this. I do not recall hearing the wash though. Mark V, Roadster have a wash out depending on reverb settings. Normal? perhaps. Since I have been forcing myself to use my other amps it has been a while. I will check it out and see if mine does or does not do it.

Mine does that as well. This has been asked before but I can't find it. I don't know if the fx loop mod has something to do with this or not. Mine does not have the mod, so delays in the loop will kinda do the same thing.

Mine does have the FX Loop mod. Perhaps that is why I may not have noticed the wash. I will get to it soon enough to confirm if mine has the reverb fade out/in like most Mesa amps (Roadster, Mark V, would need to confirm if TC-50 and RA100 do it too). I actually do not hear it in the Mark V anymore as I had a preamp tube fail a few years ago that killed a JFET or two. I no longer hear the fade in effect but I run the reverb at very low levels so it may still do it.

I will see what I can get to it this evening if I remember when I get home from work. Usually exhausted but may want to make noise for a while so perhaps I will remember.

I forgot what a beast this amp really is, has the master volume set a bit high when I went from clean to CH2 and suffered consequently.

Yep, mine has the wash too. It must be the TC-50 that does not have it or it is relatively quick that you do not notice it. This will drive me nuts if it is not a reality. I think I was messing with the FX loop to see if the issue was resolved. Perhaps I am just at that age where I am forgetting all of my experiences....Perhaps I need to shorten my cycle between amps.

I ran the TC-50 through its paces. This is one amp that does not have the reverb wash. I hear no fade-in using moderate (rich) reverb settings on the clean channel and when switching from CH3 or CH2 to the clean. However, I do not get any artifacts from the higher gain channels into the clean either. If there is any cut-out and fad-in with this amp it is relatively fast as the reverb is present almost (if not) immediate on channel change. Go figure why not do the same scheme with the JP-2C.... (could be related to where the reverb is sourced in the preamp circuit for each channel).

If you did not need a pause between high gain to clean you will not notice the wash occurring on the JP-2C. Sure you need to have that momentary point in a song there poetic pause and hearing the reverb wash in just does not factor into the song. The only way around it is not to use the reverb and opt for a pedal version instead, also use of midi type pedals can be used along with the midi control on the amp to select your reverb with CH1. If you have one that does full bypass and or buffered output you can set it up for reverb tails (some delays can be set up for that too if they used buffered outputs) Strymon Big Sky (has midi and can be set up for buffered outputs or hard bypass). Dig and Brigadier can do both hard bypass and buffered. Not quite sure on the TC Flashback or the Line 6 DL4 as it has been a while since I used them. I guess it all depends on the effect you are after. The JP-2C is the only amp I have that does not have a mute/tuner out function. Come to think of it, the TC-50 is lacking that feature also.

Mine does it, too. It only seems to happen if I hit a chord on Ch 2 or Ch3 and then mute it and change to Ch 1. If the amp is just sitting idle (not playing) I can change from channel to channel without the wash. It seems like it is the chord I just played still decaying through the reverb circuit after I have switched to Ch 1. It's not a huge distraction but I expect more from a $2500 amp.

Maybe you get the reverb wash when you spend $2200 or more. Mark V, Roadster and JP-2C all have it and the common theme here is they cost more than $2200. TC-50 and RA100 do not seem to have it and they chime in at $1900 or less (head only versions).

Since the midi controller is switching everything in the JP-2C, I wonder if there are timing parameters that are used to control the reverb mute circuit. If so, you could update the firmware in the midi switcher if Mesa decides to make a fix for this problem. (this is assuming all is done by Midi since the footswitch is a midi controller too.)

One thing I have not tried yet with the JP-2C is to use the mini toggle switch to change channels. When I was checking out if the reverb wash was present on the TC-50, I did not have the footswitch plugged in and was using the mini toggle to change channels. No wash..... will have to try again with the footswitch connected. On that point, does the JP-2c do the wash without the footswitch connected and the reverb toggle in the on position. I will have to experiment this weekend if I can find the time to see if the toggle switches have the same effect as the footswitch.

If anyone is changing channels though external midi , do you get the reverb wash if the reverb is only used with CH1 and change from CH2/CH3 to CH1?

It's not a channel changing issue. It's a reverb circuit issue. If you stay on Ch 1 and have the reverb switched off (but the control turned up where you normally set it) and play a chord, then mute it and switch the reverb on you will get the same wash from the tail of the chord that is still present in the reverb circuit as if it were switched on the entire time. I only use reverb on Ch 1. If you only used reverb on Ch 2 or Ch 3 it probably would do the same thing changing to that channel. I'm too lazy to reach around and test that theory. In fairness, I have other amps that do this same thing. My Yamaha T50C (Soldano design) does the same thing. It's not a big deal playing at home but would be an annoyance in a live situation. I only paid $1900 for my JP2C brand new from a Boogie dealer so I probably shouldn't complain.

Latest posts

Back