New Owner Checking in like what I found so far.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lokair

Reaction score
Hello All
I am a new JP2C owner, I come from a Mesa Quad back around and still love the quad alot, but wanted a newer Mesa. I must say so far only about an hour on it, I am still dialing in my clean channel, but the potential is blowing me away. I used the Instant Grat Settings , man channel 2 is dead on ringer for Dream Theaters images and words tone. As to everything else time will tell.
If I like it enuff I will keep it if not I will sell it and say hey I tried it. BUT so far its amazing, gonna ab it with my quad set up next week. I paired it with a custom built (by LOPO to my design drawings) vertical 2x12 with Eminence Governor speakers, in parallel at 4 ohms, its a beast.
I will say this its tweaker's dream machine, you could dial in tone for the rest of your life.

Lok

Ok , could not wait to a b these rigs, so I jumped at it to day at home.

The Quad into a BK Butler ProValve in to the custom 2x12
The JP2C into a Mesa vert 2x12 recto cab.

The cleans from the JP2C are just shinier and bit more robust, The quad one rhythm can do that clean and sounds great, but the lead portion of channel on suffers(more on that to come)
The JP2C channel two is crushingly crisp, and definitive , once again the Quad can do this with lead one, but then I loose my clean settings and to lesser extent lead two can do this sound too.
Channel three is a goto sound for leads for me with very little work, The Quad in my setup is channel one lead solo set up, with lead two being a little bit of a variation on my lead.

So far the JP2C is doing what I hoped, which is replace the Quad. The Quad rack weighs in at 103 lbs , the JP2C is a mere 45 lbs

The Quad is no slouch, with my pedal board it is just as usable. It may lack some of the definition and robustness of the sound of the JP2C, but that could be due to older tubes.
The JP2C is really easy to set up , but takes some work to fine tune. I so far only think that the JP2C's only weak point is I wish I could foot switch the mode shred on and off.

I will be testing it more and more over the next couple of weeks.

Lok

I might be wrong, but since the JP-2C is Midi controllable, can't you hook it up to a MIDI controller and activate SHRED that way?

Why yes you can , I am still working on my knowledge from the Quad. So I may have to school up on midi controller for this amp. Thanks for the heads up Iron, Still just getting into the JP2C in the raw, using no effects other than the built in reverb. It does an awesome Triptykon, Type O Negative, and now I am playing around with Aerosmith tone , Next up an The Eagles, then maybe a Michael Schenker Tone.

Lok

This amp is a big success for me. To the fact that I sold my Quad today, not that the Quad wouldn't do what I needed, just was more work to get there. The Quad could be a great studio piece, but my needs are playing now. I simply cannot find much fault with JP-2C. Every tone I want is there and more. Thank you Mesa for inspiring my playing and completing my tonal search.

If anyone has a suggestion on a simple midi controller for quick control of functions please let me know.

I am looking at the midi mouse so far.

Lok

I too pulled the trigger today and ordered one of the limited edition models. I still cant believe I spent 3000 on an amp :oops:. I am in love with my Mark V 25 but wanted something with a 6l6 big bore feel. I will pair it with my Mesa vertical 2x12. If this thing sounds as good as my mini mark I already love it. To help pay for it I sold my recto-verb 25 and 1x12 cab because I could never really connect with it. I also bought a Mesa Stiletto Deuce and it filled the need for a recto type sound though more British flavored. So I think this trio will fill any needs for the time being.

I figured I would share with a fellow new owner rather than start another thread. 8)

Rich I think you'll find that the JP-2C will be the easiest of all the Mark amps to dial in.
Welcome to the thread, I look forward to reading a review as to how it compares to the Mark V 25 with its tone and easy of use.

Lok

So after spending a couple of days with the JP2C I thought I would share my opinion. I really like what i am hearing so far. I still need more time with it but at the moment I still prefer my Mark V as I am just so used to it and have it dialed in just how I like it. I can tell that the Clean has more headroom than any amp I have ever owned personally and I really dig that. That said I also really like the Mark V clean and how it breaks up at lower volumes but appreciate the headroom of the JP2C. This is where I am conflicted, I planned to sell the Mark V to help fund the JP2C but now I see that they are different enough to own both sigh... I may have to sell my Kemper and Mark V 25 and then order a Mark V 35 and just call it a day. I think with those 2 amps they cover all of the styles I enjoy playing.

Part of the charm of the Mark V is how light it is and I can take it to practice and not hurt the old back. I can tell you that the JP2C is never leaving my studio and I never plan to sell it, as I just love the collect-ability of it with the signatures from John Petrucci and Randall Smith.

/rambling off

richprice79 said:
So after spending a couple of days with the JP2C I thought I would share my opinion. I really like what i am hearing so far. I still need more time with it but at the moment I still prefer my Mark V as I am just so used to it and have it dialed in just how I like it. I can tell that the Clean has more headroom than any amp I have ever owned personally and I really dig that. That said I also really like the Mark V clean and how it breaks up at lower volumes but appreciate the headroom of the JP2C. This is where I am conflicted, I planned to sell the Mark V to help fund the JP2C but now I see that they are different enough to own both sigh... I may have to sell my Kemper and Mark V 25 and then order a Mark V 35 and just call it a day. I think with those 2 amps they cover all of the styles I enjoy playing.

Part of the charm of the Mark V is how light it is and I can take it to practice and not hurt the old back. I can tell you that the JP2C is never leaving my studio and I never plan to sell it, as I just love the collect-ability of it with the signatures from John Petrucci and Randall Smith.

/rambling off

This is what I did exactly! I picked up my JP-2C LE head in June (previously had the regular version for a few months). I then sold my mini-Jube combo and got an Mark V 35 combo. All basis covered. I regularly use my JP-2C head live as well. It just sounds amazing. The Mark V 35, I use for a quick grab and go as needed. I love everything about it except that C90 speaker which I will probably swap out for a Celestion Century Vintage.

Latest posts

Back