JP-2C Brutal!!! Totally Brutal!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
A public service message from Me, myself & I to your & yours. And, to all that is brutal. Or ever will be.

I've owned this amp now for almost a year. It is very brutal sounding!!! To say that it isn't the most absolute brutal amp of all time is to say you haven't twisted the knobs in the right direction. It is human nature to disagree with me, but, no your amp is not more brutal than the JP2C in any sense of the word. This amp can go where no other amp has gone before it with the gain structure it has and a GEQ that has full power. At my recent gigs when I'm dialing in my tone, I always get a crowd around me wondering how I'm getting the tone I have. I've let guy's try my set up out only to have them look at me cross-eyed grinning from ear to ear dumbfounded as all heck. "OMG, dude, f'ing total brutal insane tone, OMG!!! Dude!!!"
I am also very fortunate to have played many other high gain amps and have owned many Mesa Mark series amps so my learning curve was somewhat shorter than a fellow who's never play through the Mark series before. Some amps do brutal great but tend to be one trick ponies, not the JP2C. It is total brutality beyond compare!!!

If you can figure out how to get it sinister.... let me know..... Only time I ever heard something crazy evil sounding was when I mixed a pair of TAD 6L6GC-MSTR with a pair of SED =C= 6L6GC in a Mark IV. That totally blew my doors off how it sounded :shock: Mark V just could not do that tone as I have tried it many times to replicate it. Most likely it is due to the Simul-Class differences in bias between the two models.

Love the JP-2C out of box experience has been very rewarding. I have found that awesome tone myself, trick is to get the amp into its sweet spot for that full blown Boogie tone. :x has just the right amount of mids at the correct frequencies that is pleasing to listen too.

I was using my JP-2C with a vertical 2X12 - and it sounds great - but I've recently been pairing it with a Mesa 1X12 Widebody and man, it is brutal. I always thought you needed a 4X12 for that "thump" - but the 1X12 is putting out way more than I thought it could. I'm wondering if its because it's fully coupled with the floor. I'm going back to the 2X12, but taking the casters off to see if that's why.

What I really love is how you can have the "thump", yet totally cut in the mix. I didn't have that with the Mark V as much - it sounded great, but I was either too sub sonic, or that shrilly ice-pick tone with the Mark V.

I bought a mini rectifier, and after having it a couple weeks, I sent it back. Great amp, but there was just no comparison to the JP-2C, and I couldn't justify keeping it as a bedroom amp at $1000.

I have also had my jp-2c for about a year now, and agree with all of the above :)

once i got used to how to dial it in for sound and feel, i haven't much altered my sound. simply don't feel the need, and that's never happened before:) sweet black box of awesomeness!

Odd thing I have noticed but may be based on depth and internal volume of the cabinets. 412 will definitely have a deep tone at lower volume settings with the JP. However once you get closer to the sweet spot (Master set to noon or 1:30) the bottom end is not the dominant factor. I have noticed more bottom present with the Vertical or Horizontal 212 cabinet at the same amp settings. Not sure about the 1x12 cab as I do not have a Mesa 112 to compare too. My reference would be to a deep 1x12 cab I use with an EV speaker. I did have a V30 in it prior and it had a definite bottom note that seemed unrealistic compared to the other cabinets. Depth of the cab is critical in resonating the lower frequencies. However it will sacrifice the upper midrange and top end and sound more flat. I have tried the JP though the speaker of the Mark V combo. (had a few different speakers in it to try out and may have killed one in the process) Open back was not very rewarding.....

Back