Thinking about downscaling

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheehanje

Reaction score
Really on the fence about selling of my JP-2C and going with something much smaller - Mini Rectifier.

As much as I love the JP-2C - it gets largely unused now that my band has decided to really tone down our gigs and only do 4 or 5 a year. I just ordered the Mini Rec and have 30 days to decide. Going to be a real hard decision I'm sure - but if the Rectifier can keep up for small gigs and sounds good (which I'm sure it does) then I'm probably parting with the JP-2C.

Argh... wish I could keep them all, but finances are tight.

Well, I had it on Reverb for about a day - then pulled the listing after sitting down and playing through it for an hour... I just can't sell it.

I have the Mini Rectifier coming on Friday. If I like it, I'm selling off a part of my other gear that rarely gets used anymore. Guess I can use the Mini for rehearsal and a live gig backup...

Why? The head is already a nice compact size and is feature packed! Just get a small closed back 1x12 if you want to get smaller.

Good call on keeping it. I absolutely love mine. So easy to carry around and it fits in small stages and orchestra pits. I can't bring a cab on a few of my gigs that I do a few times a year so I use it with my Torpedo Studio and it sounds amazing!

It's compact, but not exactly light at 40lbs. Mini Rectifier is 12lbs. Not that I can't carry around a 40lb head, but considering my rehearsal spot is about 1/8th a mile from the parking lot, then down 2 flights of stairs, I'd rather deal with 12lbs. I do have a closed back 1X12 with a C90 in it. While I liked it with the Mark V, I fell out of favor with it with the JP-2C. The JP-2C just sounds so much better with the 2X12 with V30's. Maybe the rectifier will pair well with my 1X12.

Also - one thing I really missed about the Mark V was having a clean that breaks up well. That's something the JP-2C doesn't do. From everything I've seen the Rectifier will do that - so I get a bit more versatility. The JP-2C does a lot, but not everything. I am glad I'm keeping it though - I played it again today and I'm still as blown away by it as I was when I demoed it in the store.

sheehanje said:
Also - one thing I really missed about the Mark V was having a clean that breaks up well. That's something the JP-2C doesn't do. From everything I've seen the Rectifier will do that - so I get a bit more versatility. The JP-2C does a lot, but not everything. I am glad I'm keeping it though - I played it again today and I'm still as blown away by it as I was when I demoed it in the store.

I found my Keeley Oxblood OD on the input side solves that issue perfectly. I can dial it in to taste so that the crunch is closer to a blackface than Ch 2 on gain 1 or set it so that it kicks in with a little more agressive playing. No problem balancing the volume between the OD switched in or out. No doubt other good ODs would work for different tastes as well. Just an option that may help you.

OD is the lower cost option of getting another amp and keep the JP. I am not overly keen on OD or distortion pedals but the grid slammer and flux drive can really get the JP cooking out some grit. Sooner or later I will get a Strymon Riverside as that pedal looks quite interesting. (not trying to plug but I just like their products.... sorry).

Actually since I got the JP-2C, the Mark V is collecting dust, better clean it off and put the cover on it. I would agree that the JP is hard to get a low gain clip on the CH2 or CH3 unless you roll back your volume on the guitar..... Have to get a volume pedal as I still seem to set volume to max on the guitar and leave it there. Actually getting a different control surface to do volume swells is not a bad idea.

I down sized from a 412 to a 212 and I am happy I did but still have the 412 to go back too when needed along with two other 412 cabs if I want a different tone. I do not gig but I enjoy composing music even if it is bad or terrible.

I know a second amp is an expensive pickup - but I do need a backup anyway. I've had amps go right before a gig - so this gives me a little insurance.

Are you looking for something different or the same? I would probably go for another JP-2C :p but that is me....

I do not gig so I have not had those issues. Tubes can be awesome as well as unforgiving or unpredictable. Probably the reason why when I was in a band in the 90's I was going through many tubes. No back up amp either. New session, new tubes (power and preamp) and of course this would include a burn in period to ensure the tubes were performing. (burn in was practice session before the band was ready recording). Never really went anywhere but one gig. Most of the time we spend defining our sound and style. It was fun and a good learning experience.

So If I was relying on one particular amp as my go to master, this would be assuming I am playing professional or gigging, I would have a duplicate as a backup. I would not mind getting another JP-2C but perhaps in a different enclosure (custom hardwood) and I would probably get a matching vert 212 to go with it. Often I have wanted one but what amp was worthy of the expense? The JP-2C is #1 in my books followed by the Roadster. Deciding on what wood and grill would be the hardest thing for me to decide.

I actually had 2 JP-2C's for a short time. Was selling a guitar and someone traded me a JP-2C purple bronco straight up for the guitar. Ended up selling the original JP-2C I had for a little more then I was asking for the guitar.

I'm actually real happy with this mini rectifier so far. It actually pairs better with my Widebody Closed back 1X12 better then my vertical 2X12. Not sure why, but suspect the 1X12 is couple better with the floor whereas the 2X12 is on casters. Definite difference in C90 and V30 speakers too.

The mini rec plays really well with my guitar's volume and tone controls - it's amazing in how responsive it is - probably because I'm able to hit full saturation of the tubes without blowing the doors out. Very happy with my amp situation right now - I just need to see how it is in practice next week.

Hey yeah, I do remember seeing the purple clad JP in one of your posts.

Good to know the mini rec does the job. I have seen one of the mini rectos. Holy Hanna is that thing really small, much smaller than I expected. I thought the same thing about the Mark V:25 after I saw it. Unfortunately the lunch box sized amps would not suffice as they may be too loud. :cry: For the moment I am using a Carvin V3MC that I stuffed a Jensen Blackbird speaker and I use a Boss GT100 as the preamp for the practice session as I can get the Mesa sound (recto) at bedroom levels that way. I stopped trying to understand why we wait until my friends family is asleep, especially after last night when my friends daughter came in the room who was persistent to her father to bring the cat in from outside and started whipping him with her brother's light saber toy that she found in the room. When that started, I put my guitar in its case and took a walk outside.......

When I get the group to my home, it is a different story and I am surprised I have not been visited by the local PD. Sometimes ear plugs are required, well they were when I was using the E-drums. Now armed with an acoustic drum set things will be different and run the amps at 50W.

40lbs is pretty standard fare for a combo amp for grab and go. I went with the Mark V 35 combo as another option to use. Great little amp!

Latest posts

Back