JP2C + Mark V = redundant?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggs

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, probably has ... would owning both be redundant?
I love my Mark V but also like what I'm hearing from JP2C.

Thanks all!

I have both and I'm very pleased I do. The JP is bigger, bolder, yet furrier/crunchier and slightly less immediate. It has surprising versatility within its subset of tones and its push/pull knobs are incredibly well-thought-out. The MIDI control and the lack of superfluous features just seal the deal for me. It is flawless.

The V is faster, sweeter and tighter, and performs significantly better in the low-medium gain region. It really covers almost every imaginable tone as you know - I think of of mine almost like a modelling amp. And despite all the features I barely use, Crunch is still my core tone.

I should add that on the JP it's far easier to match the channels as you step through them. All the features work so seamlessly and there's none of the balancing act that the V seems to require almost every time you use it!

To sum up, the JP is the better overall design IMO but the V is faster, sweeter and more flexible. I honestly couldn't tell you which I'd keep in a pinch, and my favourite changes daily.

I've talked about this some more here, hope it helps: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=73060

I kinda thought that when I bought my JP2C. I was planning on selling the V after I first played the JP. It was that good. But now I'm glad I didn't. They are very different amps. The V does low gain, classic overdrive tones better and is more versatile. But the JP2C has the better lead sound. It's like if the V's third channel took steroids and got some vocal training, it's awesome.

donnyboiler said it well. The amps have different personalities. Both in tone and feel. After playing the JP2C for a while, plugging back in to the V will still make me smile. If the JP2C is a huge roided monster, the V is a focused laser beam. The V feels faster to play and is less forgiving. It's very satisfying to play one after the other. The differences are easily distinguishable and each has its purpose.

So no, not redundant at all.

I have both as well.

JP-2C + Mark V >= (ideal)/12, in other words, you would have 12 unique voices in total with a larger than normal range of characteristics at your disposal excluding the shred mode as that would add to the pallet of things. Both sound like Mesa Boogies but yet do not sound the same. Mark V has a bit more gain character to it on CH3 (bit more compression with the Mark IV mode). JP is closer to extreme mode but depends on CH2 or CH3. I can dial in a tone on CH2 similar to Mark I mode of CH2 (trick is dial out the mids and use GEQ to shape). For me, the JP gives me the sound I love and have spend many hours trying to dial in with the Mark V but could not achieve (similar to Mark III and the Mark IV tones that I could get with EL34 mixed with 6L6, sold those amps some time ago).

Your best option, find a local dealer that has both and compare. Note that you may need to run the JP at a higher volume setting to get that mojo going. At lower volume (if going louder is not permitted) use the shred control on CH2 or both CH2/CH3 as this restored what you loose at lower volume and filters out the dominant bottom end. JP-2C really blossoms above Master volume of 11 o'clock. Do not just listen to the general tone but explore as much as you can with the guitar. Pinch off harmonics, palm muting, or what ever techniques that you have developed that really makes you love the Mark V may be different with the JP.

Had to bump up this one....
Still have both JP-2C and Mark V. What may seem to be redundant in having both would be to do the saturation mod on the Mark V. Simple trick that fixes the ice pick tones is to change V4 from a 12AX7 to a 12AT7. Holy Mesa Boogie does this simple tube swap place the Mark V on a different level. With the mod the Mark V CH3 (Mark IIC, Mark IV, and Extreme) will definitely get you the JP-2C tone and it does not matter if using CH2 or CH3. Plus the triode/Pentode switch gives the Mark V a bit of an advantage. Still my favorite amp thus far goes to the JP-2C. It is possible to find the voices of the Mark V CH2 with the JP-2C by adjusting one of the 5BEQ and dialing in or out the midrange on the tone control.

Even with the saturation mod, the two amps are not quite equivalent. Dang close though. JP-2C still remains tighter on the bottom end and just sounds too **** good to think it is redundant. At least there was hope for the Mark V ice pick cure that did not require any circuit mods with a solder iron.

My plan is to have

Clean: JP Channel 1
Dirty Clean: V Channel 1: Tweed
Crunch: V Channel 2: Crunch (Max gain / treble which sounds close to extreme mode). I use this mainly for 7 string and 6 string thicker palm muted riffs to add a bit more weight and thump.
Rhythm: JP Channel 2 (Shred optional)
Rhythm Spare: Optional (V Channel 3: c+, IV or Extreme) depending on which is most different in tone / feel to JP)
Lead: JP Channel 3

That's what I'm expecting but things could change once I get a chance to A/B them and develop preferences. Mainly around which V Channel 3 vs JP 2/3 for both rhythm and leads. I do have the AT7 tube swap too so imagine that may impact my preferences. Can. Not. Wait. Going to be pure heaven!

If you really want to take advantage of both amps. Run them in parallel with an isolated input on one amp.
Holly crap does that fill the room with something that is too hard to describe. I have been pairing amps up to compare what the effect is as I am planning out my next project that will be using amps running in parallel. Having an isolated amp switcher kills the hum you get as it breaks the ground loop issue. Not sure what will happen if the FX loops are sent to the same pedal if used in stereo mode since they will still share a common ground. Also Mark V and JP do not use the same signal level on the FX loop. Not sure if the line level shifter uses transformers. If it does then problem solved (I think).

Perhaps if you use the midi control on the JP you can put it into mute for when you want to run the Mark V and vs versa mute the V for the using the JP. Not sure if there is a combined pedal that will do both midi and TS switching.

Mesa is a restless company. They remind me of my other favorite hobby----fast cars. Ferrari are constantly improving their new models, and you can be left thinking you bought too soon every time they come out with a special new edition a year later with valid improvements.

I think the JP2C is the ultimate Mesa for the kind of metal flexibility I want at this time. However, JP is even more restless than Mesa based on his dizzying flurry of signature guitars and pickups in the last 10 years, so he'll probably update the 2C soon enough! :lol: Regardless, I don't think the 2C would become unacceptable for use to me in my lifetime, regardless of whatever brilliant beast Mesa cranks out in the future. Hell, I still use a 30+ year old Mesa amp as my main rig now!

I've had the JP in the setup for a few months now. Initially I was hoping the JP would make the V redundant as it would ad a few thousand dollars to my bank account, reduce a tonne of cables and eliminate a lot of noise. If you use tweed or crunch, I don't believe you can achieve either of these on the JP. The V with the AT7 is still hard to give up. Even though I revert to JP Channel 2 for metal rhythm I still very much enjoy the immediacy and complexity of the V Channel 3.

If you really want to spoil it, Get 5 of the Beijing NOS Chinese tubes from Doug's Tubes in install them in V1, V3, V5, V6 and V7. CH3 will match the JP-2C in most respects. I am using Mullard CV4004 in V2. However do not expect the Beijing tubes to perform well in the JP-2C as I have tired it and the end result was fizzy. JP-2C with stock tubes = Mark V with Beijing and 12AT7 (but with more flavors to choose from). The huge difference is the clean channel and CH2 (actually now has three useable voices, could not stand Edge mode but now it sounds better). I still love both amps regardless if one may seem redundant or not. I have two RA100s and one TC-50, very similar but yet keeping all three of those too.

Hello, fellow tone nuts. Long time lurker, avid reader, first time poster. I owned a Mark V from 2009 until very recently, I got some great tones out of it. I tried lots of stuff, EL-34's, ECC83S in V1, 12AT7's as recommended on this board, etc. I always felt like I was missing something with the Mark V.

Although I somewhat enjoyed the variety of tones I could get out of the Mark V, I play metal. I don't need variety, I need *my tone*. CH3, Pentode, Mark IV mode, high gain, V-taper EQ, you know the drill. I do appreciate the tone of a good cranked Marshall too, and CH2 of the Mark V in Crunch was a pretty good approximation, I used that a lot when I was in a more "rock and roll" type of mood. Occasionally I'd play around with Tweed mode on CH1 for 30 seconds to remind myself I don't really care much for that tone... Mainly, I'm just a metalhead and I would stick to CH3 with the gain up pretty high.

As I recall, a lot of people said they didn't think the V was as aggressive sounding as a "real" IIC and I was after aggression... When the JP-2C came out it got my attention. So about a month ago, took a gamble on the JP-2C. I didn't have a chance to try one out in person, the nearest dealer is some hours drive away from me and as soon as they get one in stock it's gone, it seems, so I bit the bullet and just ordered from Mesa Hollywood.

I was not disappointed on turning it on the first time, and tweaking it a bit with the GEQ disabled. Once I got it to sound good to my ears, I fine-tuned it with the Graphic EQ and I was in heaven. THIS was the Mark-series tone I had been looking for, what the Mark V simply could not deliver. I'm sorry, but if you are looking for really heavy tones, the Mark V just is no match for the JP-2C. I don't play "modern" metal or anything, I'm just talking about a good 80's/90's heavy type of tone; not Hair Metal, but heavy, heavy metal.

Anyway, thinking I must just have forgotten how great the Mark V is due to excitement about my "new toy" I put it on standby and turned on the Mark V, I A/B'ed them quite a bit. I toyed with the Mark V from ground zero (flat EQ, knobs at noon) several times and it led me right back where I had always set it as my "best" or favorite tone I could get out of it, and compared it again to the JP-2C, and the JP-2C won, easily. I like a pretty bright tone and you have to work to get it from the JP-2C (especially with the presence pushed like I prefer) but compared to the IIC mode on the Mark V, the JP-2C is way more what I expected out of a "IIC reinvented" or however you want to put it. Much more aggressive and, well... Metal. Way more aggressive sounding than the Mark IV mode as well. The final straw was, I played though the Mark V exclusively for a few days, to get my ears "used" to it, then switched to the JP-2C, and again the JP-2C won. No matter how I tried to trick my ears, I always preferred the JP-2C

So, all that long-winded bullshit said... In my opinion (and keep in mind, this is all opinions, tone is subjective, and we all use our "tools" in different ways...) is the Mark V redundant? No, it's got a lot of tones that the JP-2C doesn't do... But for me it was rendered unnecessary, because there are far more authentic "crunch" amps (i.e. Marshall or Marshall clone) and I don't really dig the boosted Fender clean thing that much anyway. The JP-2C is a better Mark for my needs. The Mark V simply will not create the tone I'm getting from the JP-2C, I know, I tried for 8 years to do it and I dialed it in on the JP-2C in under 30 minutes (sure I've made a few minor tweaks since then.)

I sold the Mark V a few weeks ago, and I bought a nice Marshall type of amp. This covers all the bases for me much better than the JP-2C + Mark V did.

I had thought about getting a Marshall, only because I was not finding my way with the Mark V. JP-2C restored my faith in the Mark Series again after having a long ownership of a Mark III for 23 years, the general tone of that amp was missing. Also had the Mark IV which was also satisfying. I did not like the ice pick of the Mark V so I jumped onto a Roadster. Much darker and aggressive in a different way. The JP-2C was quite different but a step back to the Mark III days in tone characteristic. I still have the Mark V and now it has become quite a fun amp to play though especially with change in V4 to a 12AT7. Still that was not overly satisfying as part of the tone seemed to be chocked off. I made a simple mod to one of the gain circuits and that was rewarding enough. I did try some other tone shaping changes but that just could not alter the fundamental enough. Since the overall tone of the V is as it is, it cannot replace the JP-2C in its characteristic charm. Having both is not redundant even with the minor change in preamp tube selection. (My ideal setup with the Mark V: Only tubes in the amp that are Mesa brand are the power tubes, all of the preamp tubes were chosen that suits my needs that provided the best aggressive character on CH3 as well as resulted in the lowest noise floor, generally the low frequency hum). Even the Roadster could be seen as redundant as it does offer similar tones to the Mark V and JP-2C. Recently I decided to chase the speaker balloon one more time. I may have been focused on using EV with the Mark amps as that always darkened up the aggressive nature of the grind. Someone had posted a question on a different speaker that I never heard of before. First thought it was another EV clone. What the heck, why not get one.... Holy Crap was that the best move. It may not favor the other amps like a TC-50 or the RA100 but will have to explore that in more detail later on after the speaker is broken in. Organic Timbre Rhapsody G12F is unbelievable. I have one mounted in my Mark V and that is a huge improvement over the EVM12L black label speaker. I ran the JP-2C though it and that was it for me, had to get another one as well as a wide body open back 1x12 (out with the MC90 and in with the OTR). Eventually I will also get the closed back version of the cab and mount an EVM12L speaker in it. I have run both OTR and EV with the JP-2C and that was awesome. The OTR is much better by itself than the EV will ever be. Almost a match made in heaven with the JP-2C. The more sinister the tone, heavy aggressive with enough top end to cut through and plenty of midrange balanced just right with tight bottom end. Just the OTR by itself has blown me away and I believe (in my opinion) that the Vertical 212 has been outdone by the single speaker. I like having options. When you compare the harmonic content with pinch harmonics and other techniques both the JP-2C and the Mark V excel, but the Mark V has a slight advantage in the harmonic department. If you can keep both great.

Sure I would love to entertain a different amp other than having only Mesa's. I just have not found one that would worth the expense (but I have to be actively looking to find it).

I thought about getting a Marshall too, but honestly I don't like their new stuff. When I play high-gain modern stuff I like a Mesa. I was looking for something solidly "classic Master Volume Marshall" i.e JCM800.

After some careful consideration, I ended up bringing home a Friedman DS40. It's kind of a modded JCM800 preamp into a pair of 5881's with a tube rectifier, the power section is on the loose end, not at all like the Boogies. I could always put in a diode rectifier and re-bias it for 6L6GC's if I wanted to, but so far I like it just how it is just fine. I feel like it captures the spirit of my JCM800 on about 4/10 (which was about where it started sounding good, at well over 100 dB) but the DS40 does it when it's barely into the "loud" range and it only gets better as you go up.

That was the worst thing about the JCM800 I had, even though it was "only" 50 watts it was a 6550 model (so really more like 70 watts) and it had to get absurdly loud to get any power tube breakup at all. 25 years later my ears are still ringing, if you know what I mean LOL.

I think the main reason why I have stuck with Mesa boogie for the past 28 years was overall quality of materials and construction. I went from a Fender deluxe reverb to a Marshall MOSFET 100 (it was affordable) and sold that to get the Mesa Mark III. Everything about the Mark III was of better quality than the other two amps. It is hard to compare a solid state amp to a tube amp (the fender was better than the Marshall in that respect). That being said, the quality of the Marshall was about the same as the other models of that particular year which may have been some time in 1988. I did not keep the Marshall for very long (less than a year). Mesa just blew my mind as the ultimate amp and that stuck with me. I never thought I would end up with the amps I have now. Mesa is a disease that has no cure! It festers and grows in your head until it spreads to every inch of your body. And the only cure for this illness is to feed it with more Mesa gear, from amps, pedals and cabs, and a few more guitars to go with it. Life is good, but Mesa makes it better.

Thought about the JCM410.... or is there something else out there.... So the RA100 and TC-50 has me satisfied in the Brit mode.

Friedman also looks interesting as does Diamond amplification. I had even considered a Dynamo GT-6 or even the M50x but I decided on the JP-2C instead. https://www.dynamoamplification.com/gt-6

I think I have all basses covered from the Mark V, JP-2C, Roadster, RA100 and TC-50. So at the moment I am saving up for what may come next out of the mind of Randall Smith. Still to some extent the Road King II is looking to be my next endeavor but I can wait for the next issue of what may be yet to come.

You guys who have the V AND the JP2C, have you ever tried to the use the JP2C preamp into the (simulclass) poweramp section of the V ? If yes, how does it sound/feel ?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back