my JP2c sounds weak and frail, it has no balls.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Ryder

Reaction score
I use to have a dual rectifier paired with a Hughes and Kettner 16 ohm 2x12 cab. The dual rec was a mammoth in volume and gain. I sold my rec and bought a JP2C. I am really shocked and upset and disappointed that my JP2C is weak and I'm praying to god that this can't be. I just ordered a mesa boogie recto 2x12 8 ohm cab hoping and praying that this will resolve the crap tone problems that I'm having and then I think back to the dual rectifier that I had with all that power and high gain madness that was paired with the 16 ohm H&K cab and the voice of hope faded as I realize that when the mesa cab comes in that my worst fear will be confirmed, a still weak and thin sounding JP2c with no balls.

could my JP2C be weak because I just so happened to buy a bad apple? is it a tube problem that I need to have a technician to check into it?

or maybe the dual rec is a beast and the JP2C is just an overpriced piece of crap and I need to sale it and get my dual rec back....

why does my JP2C sound like ****? please god someone help me.

Hi - can you share the settings you are currently using on the amp? Also what type of sound are you hoping to achieve?

The cabinet will make a difference but would not make the JP2C sound weak.

Have you tried the sample settings in the manual?

With the amp on are all the tubes lit up?

I agree the Dual Rec is a monster amp but so is the JP2C. The controls just work a little differently than the Dual Rec.

The JP2C will sound and feel much tighter than the Dual Rec but is equally a tone monster, just a different flavor.

I am using the same settings that are suggested in the owners manual under John Petrucci's settings.

all of the tubes show that they are lit up.

I don't get it. I'm worried and upset and disappointed. the dual rec that I owned was a monster in the volume department. I tried the JP2C out last year at a mesa shop in San Francisco and it sounded excellent.

I bought mine on line in mint condition for 2 grand, maybe I should have spent an extra 5 hundred and bought one from the mesa shop.

could my JP2C be a lemon? should I take it in to a technician for repair? or maybe I can take it to the mesa shop and do an even trade on a dual rectifier. my JP2C is so weak that it is heart breaking.

Please post a pic of your settings. It could possibly be a lemon, but just in case. I have a Triple rec next to my JP2C and the JP kills the rec in tone and tightness but it took a while to find the right tone.

I took the amp to guitar center and hooked it up to a 4x12 8 ohm cab and the amp behaved differently, it had more balls, the JP2C was not nearly loud as the dual rec, I don't know if that is normal.
I don't know how to attach a photo of my settings to this board but I have the eq and channel 2 set to John Petrucci's crunch settings. I play metal. I guess I will go to the Mesa Boogie shop tomorrow and try out a few of the JP2c models to see if mine has a problem.

Jim_Ryder said:
the JP2C was not nearly loud as the dual rec

I don't think my local guitar center would be too happy if I was trying to find out if the JP2C is louder than a dual rec through a 4x12 in their store. :shock:

I may not have the Dual Rec but something very close to it: Roadster.

In comparison: The JP-2C will push more air than the Roadster though any cabinet I have tried. OSR 412 (V30), OSR modified 412 with EVM12L and I also have both the Vertical 212 and Horizontal 212. I also have a 16 ohm Egnator cab but never really liked the stock speakers. I have run both Roadster and JP-2C just to hear how the cab would sound. Not as authoritative through the 16 ohm cab ( but could be the speakers as they are Celestion Elite with the smaller magnets similar to the Seventy 80. )

In the gain arena, the Roadster on CH3 in modern voice does seem to have more gain but at an expense to note definition (muddy) when compared to the JP-2C (CH2) however with the gain knob pulled and set appropriately on CH3 there are plenty of balls there to drown out the Roadster. In reality, they are about the same when operating at the sweet spot. Loud as hell when plenty of detail so they have about the same perceived level loudness and character though I feel the JP is just a bit punchier than the Roadster as it does not sag as much. Note that when I used a load box attenuator with a peak power output, the JP-2C was almost pegging the 150WRMS mark compared to the Roadster that remained steady at 100WRMS. Both amps use Class A/B power amp circuits. Not sure on plate voltage or plate current of either amp.

You may have a bad preamp tube. I did not have the weak issue but slight microphonic problem found and replaced the suspect tube.
Contact Mesa customer support either by phone or email. Contact information should be in the manual or best of all go to Mesa website.

If you are used to the Dual Rectifier, the JP-2C should be putting a smile on your face. I love my Roadster and the JP-2C is a great compliment to this amp as they pair well together.

I will look into the possibility of a bad preamp tube ( I hope that is it ) not only does my JP2C have not as nearly the volume as the Dual Rec, but also has a static like hum, the amp should be quiet, right? my Dual Rec had the same problem. could there be something around my apartment that is causing interference? or maybe I just have a bad preamp tube? god I hope so, cause that is an easy fix. I want to resolve this issue, I want to like this amp, if I cant fix these problems then at least I can sale it on ebay.

If the static issue is constant or random with pockets of popcorn sounding noises the probability is high it is a preamp tube. All you need is one tube and start rolling though to find the culprit. Note the front face plate is removable for preamp tube access. May be a little stiff to get off at first but tapping from the back of the amp will help free the face plate (use ample amount of lighting or flashlight to see where the preamp cutout window is to tap the face plate out of position after removing or loosening the screws on the front. I have not seen in the manual how to access the preamp tubes. The manual has too much boiler plate format (copied from other manuals or in essence it is too general). Too bad they do not have a procedure how to remove the face plate to access the preamp tubes. :|

Here is some boiler plate comments: (just being generic here)
I can get some static noises on occasion with all my amps (depends on what room I am using the amp and if an when the central air system kicks in or out). In some cases such as duplex or apartments, the power feeds to each unit may not be well isolated due to electrical transients. Also this may be a good time to have the wall voltage checked for voltage levels as it may be common to have less or more voltage at the wall than what should be standard. In the US and Canada it is 60Hz, 110VAC. In other countries it is different and some places are not well regulated in terms of frequency or voltage stability.

If you are in Europe, not sure what to state here... unless your model has an export transformer. If or amp is a non-export model and rated ro 120VAC-60Hz: If you are using a power converter you may need to confirm that the output frequency is at 58Hz to 62Hz at a minimum of 108VAC (typical for low line) and not to exceed 120VAC. 110-115VAC would be ideal. Note that you may need to have the converter output voltages with the amp connected and turned on. Perhaps Mesa has more stringent power requirements....... (117VAC is stated in the US manual but does not indicate applicable range of voltage).

Jim_Ryder said:
I am using the same settings that are suggested in the owners manual under John Petrucci's settings.

I tried the suggested Petrucci settings on my JP-2C the day I bought it and hated them. Love his videos but it made my amp sound "meh". "Anemic" is an adjective that comes to mind. I ended up dialing the amp back up pretty much the way I had it before and liked it again. It will definitely move some air. My settings on Channel 2 look like this (using a clock face as the numbers):

Gain Pulled 1:30
Master 9:45 - 10:00
Presence Pulled 11
Treble 1:30
Mids 10
Bass 10:30
Shred Off

I use EQ 01 and have it set to a basic smiley face. The 750Hz is just under the mid line. The 80Hz and 240Hz sliders ride a little higher than the 2200HZ and 6600Hz sliders. No reverb. I run my effects in the front end - love how time based effects sound on the front end. I use a Soldano 4x12 straight cabinet with Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers. Speakers and cabs have a significant effect on this amp. If you have other cabs available try them out, too. I am digging this tone. My advice is to ignore the suggested settings for now and use your ears to guide you.

Speakers and cabs can make a very audible difference with these amps.. My Soldano 4x12 is currently gutted getting ready to be re-tolexed. I am using a rear loaded SLM/Crate 4x12 with WGS Reaper 30 speakers in the meantime. Still sounds good but not as good as with the Soldano/Celestion cabinet.

I will admit I was not too impressed with the amp either when I powered it up for the first time. I did not see the Petrucci settings at first or the instant gratification settings. I did however find the standard factory settings and it seemed dull. "Where is the mojo ?" I thought to myself. It did not take long to find it. I battled with the Mark V, Roadster and left the RA100 alone. I spent more time trying to dial in the Mark V to get the same rewarding tone and could not. I can get the same grinding gain character with the Roadster and JP. Ran though most of the typical techniques and found palm muting to be more rewarding with the JP than the Roadster. Most of my first trials was though a Mesa OS Recto 412 cab. The other cab was loaded with Celestion G12H75 Creambacks. Both sounded great. Not too long ago, I re-stuffed the old Recto cab with EV speakers and really like those with both Roadster and JP. However, I love the Vertical 212 the best with the JP (does not blow out my ear drums like the 412 cab but can still be loud and overbearing if the volume is set too high). Speakers and cabinets will have a dramatic influence on your tone and each will express the amp characteristics differently. Still waiting on when I will swap the Creambacks into a traditional size cab but it is not a Mesa quality cabinet. Should still sound good.

Low volume settings will sound boomy. Hint: turn on shred switch to filter some of the bottom end and bring out the mids and treble for low level playing. I generally run volume at 11'oclock when I start and then eventually bring it up to about 1'oclock (about where it hits the sweet spot) CH2, CH3 as a bit more gain structure so noon seems to be fine on the master volume for that channel. As for the GEQ, I keep the middle slider (750) up between the bottom and middle line. Max on the 60 and 6600 and adjust the 240 and 2200 to taste. Depends on what cabinet I am using. The EV loaded cab can handle the bottom end so I may be more aggressive with the 240 slider.

This amp responds well to the flux drive and the grid slammer. ( would rather use the grid slammer vs the shred mode as it is not a notch filter). I generally play most of the time without any effects but will grab a delay and throw it in the loop if blending in a mix.

Power tubes that came with the amp are Grays. I have a set of blues and greens waiting for use as I bought some extra tubes for spares Also had to replace the preamp tubes as I had a few that seemed sub-par. This reminds me that I need to resupply my preamp tube stash as I have gone though all of the new Mesa tubes and most of my inventory were used and cycled thought he cathode circuits of the Roadster.

The only amp I've had that is louder and has more gain on tap was my Krankenstein+ - but it didn't have nearly the tonal range or clarity of the JP-2C.

My first JP-2C had a preamp tube issue that is similar to what you describe. Once that got swapped out it opened the amp right up. It's common with todays tubes to get some bad apples even in a new amp - and seeing yours was used, I'd really investigate rolling in not just a preamp tube, but think about power tubes also - you don't know how much time is on those tubes. JP-2C's are performance beasts. I now have 2 and sold my other amps. I don't want to be without it. The only volume issue I have is in full power mode I have trouble keeping the amp low enough at gigs while still saturating the tubes.

What I will say is if you are used to Dual/Triple rectifiers, you aren't going to get the same tones out of a Mark series amp. They are different, the tone stack is different, and the response is different.

First change tubes, like everybody said that's usually the first culprit in amp issues. If that doesn't help, have the amp checked by a qualified/authorized tech than can pull it out of the chassis and examine it fully; used amps are a mixed bag and it may not be obvious that something is blown.

Also another thing worth mentioning: the volume taper on the JP is very different than the Rectifier and much more gradual in achieving "max volume". At about 9:00 with the loop bypassed, the Recto is ripping faces off while the JP does't reach that level until around 11:00 or so, making low volume playing more manageable (which I assume was intentional by Mesa given the prevalence of "bedroom" players, like myself, which is partially why they include cab clone/headphone outs now too).

I agree. With the settings in the manual, I found the JP-2C to be a bit tame. I wound up adjusting them, but also remember that he runs his LOUD. And I think he is usually boosting (his guitar has a 20dB boost).

After playing with the amp for a while, I found it to be much more satisfying. Remember that you will always have a trade-off between gain and clarity/tone.

my JP-2C sounds better with the mesa 8 ohm 2x12 recto cab, that improved the overall tone of the amp tremendously. has anyone experienced any trouble with their reverb? my reverb is set up for channel one and I am rocking out in channel 2 and when I switch to channel one I get a reverb echo. Is there anyone else experiencing this issue?

and thanks a million for explaining the difference between the volume tapers of the rectifier and the JP2-C, that really eased my mind.

Jim, I would agree on the volume taper differences between DR and JP. As for the reverb tails, you may have an early release of the JP.

Not sure on the issue with the Reverb. I generally run reverb on the abundant side for the clean channel and low for the gain channels. I nave not noticed this issue. Not sure if the FX loop mod has something to do with it as Mesa had made the change (mine was packed with a notice on the modification). I could raise the reverb level on the gain channels and see what happens when switching to ch1.

My reverb will do that as well. My amp does not have the fx mod though. Mesa will fix that for free if you want to send your amp to them, not something I really want to do.

Latest posts

Back