JP-2C vs. Mark V - an alternate view

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnyboiler

Reaction score
Hi guys. Picked up my JP-2C around three weeks ago and wanted to let it sink in before I shared my thoughts.

I love it!

What a magic little box. So small and neat yet insanely powerful and punchy. The flexiblility is perfectly judged - I can get the clean channel (which is exquisite) to break up just enough by cranking all the dials, the two graphics are genius (I currently have one assigned with very mild settings to clean and a global one for dirt), and the BIG surprise was the crunch channel. I really was expecting a lower gain version of channel 3, but there are all kinds of crunchy textures in here. The lower internal Volume 1 setting really does change the nature of this channel - it's got a nice snap to the high mids, and a nice "kronk" to the mids, plus it cleans up pretty good.

Channel 3 is ridiculous. It's everything I wanted Mark IIC+ mode on the V to be - it's got that Boogie addictiveness and clarity but delivered with the weight you have to go to Mark IV or Extreme mode to find in the V. String response is just a hair slower on fast-picked runs, but the trade-off is girth, weight, and punch. Response-wise, this is still a Samurai sword compared to most amps.

To top it all off, the FX loop is immaculate, and Shred mode is awesome for low volume practise, or livening up a dull guitar. I use it with my 7-string as Petrucci mentioned in the video, and it greases up the low strings a treat.

I'll write a full review for my site later, but for now the thought that keeps repeating in my head is "could this be the perfect high gain channel switcher?"... it's near as dammit three IIC+ heads in one box, and the MIDI is the icing on the cake. If a real IIC+ sounds even better, I couldn't care less. You'd need three of them and a MIDI switcher and a load of tone-sucking wiring to approach the flexibility found here. Sure, take your original to the studio and work the dials, but I couldn't be happier with this amp. It's a treat.

Now, to the Mark V. Unlike other posters, I still absolutely LOVE this amp. For a start, it gets to places the JP doesn't, so in my home studio it's a marvel. Also Tweed mode is bouncier and raunchier than any of the great breakup tones available in the JP's clean channel. This is a big selling point for me as I love that Tweed Bassman thing and it's a big part of what I do, at least in a live scenario. I also love everything about the JP's clean and breakup, but it is different.

What really struck me about the Mark V is, although it's not perfect (the graphic EQ isn't as great as the JP's, IIC+ mode is too thin, and it has a STEEP learning curve) it is slightly more articulate and bouncy overall than the JP. I'd sum it up in general as the difference between Simul and Class A/B, although the amp seems to be voiced a little more for sweetness and responsiveness in the power section generally, whereas the JP seems to be geared slightly more towards weight and growl. That's not to say there isn't overlap, and the two amps are clearly cousins.

I found I could get the V into JP territory on the third channel by using either Mark IV mode (which has the Pull Deep engaged internally) or by flipping to Extreme and raising the presence to compensate. With either of these two modes and judicious use of the graphic EQ I can sculpt a high gain sound I like just as much as the JP... a little faster and greasier, a little less girthy.

Crunch mode, to me, is the jewel in the Mark V's crown. I spend probably two thirds of every gig on this mode - I found my sound there. I like something that's part EVH, part Lukather I suppose and I've absolutely sculpted the sound in my head here. Fat, warm, articulate, sustaining but with dynamics, clarity and the ability to clean up. The snarl and string definition along with the chewy midrange and fat, tight lows just blow my mind every time I plug in. It's dynamic enough to take your head off on rock rhythms, but greasy enough to solo on. I can get here on the JP-2C's middle channel with the gain just over halfway - but the character is different. The JP again is weightier, more forward, less greasy and with slightly less of that hair trigger precision feel on the thin strings. Both are amazing and absolutely drip with character.

So, I just wanted to share my experience as I think a lot of early adopters have either gone "IT'S AMAZING, WAHOO!" or "it's not quite my 2C+, I'm selling". I wanted to put some time into this before posting so that somebody who's considering this amp can have the benefit of my mileage.

To sum up, the JP-2C (unlike the V) is flawless at everything it sets out to do. Everything on it works exactly as you'd hope, it's easy to dial in if you're a Boogie person and I would guess not TOO tricky even if you're not. They really have distilled this one to absolute perfection, from the look to the feel to the layout and the controls. For me, in some ways, it sits roughly where the EVH 5150 III sits - it's relatively targeted but delivers far more than the sum of its parts due to excellent design and expert voicing. The V on the other hand (in concept perhaps more like a Bogner Ecstasy if you like) tries to be all things to all men and ends up delivering slightly less than the sum of its parts - but still doing an astounding number of things well and being absolutely untouchable at many of them.

I would argue the V is just as good if you take the time to learn it; the rest is down to your taste and preferred playing feel.

I'm incredibly glad I've got both. I can't stop playing guitar. Hope this helps somebody :)

Enjoyed reading your thoughts, thanks! I look forward to your full review. Can you post a link here when you get it done?

The JP2C just has something very special in its gain channels compared to the V. I can't explain it very well but it's very pleasing. It's just simply bigger, or more. And it's crunch almost has more breath to it. I love it :lol:

Comparing the two amps is basically a hobby for me at this point. The attributes of each amp really jump out right when you plug in after playing the other. The V's focus and speed jump out right away. And the JP's punch and girth hit you harder than you remember. We are truly spoiled. :mrgreen:

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the clean channels as well. The JP definitely has its own personality there. It's warm and velvety smooth. Much closer to the V's fat mode than clean mode. And I love tweed mode too, might be my favorite mode. Best with el34s being driven hard.

Excellent review. Thank you for posting.
Hmm, crank all the knobs on the clean channel, will have to try it. However if you are using the loop, there may be a definitive change when channel hopping between a gain (2 or 3) to the clean (1) as I believe the latest fix was to set the loop level by means of the gain control.

Tweed may sound great on the Mark V but I prefer the Tweed setting on the Roadster far more. No doubt there is an issue with my Mark V as I did try out a new one when I was in PA over the holidays and I was impressed with it. That one sounded great compared to my Mark V. I will probably sell my V and get another one down the road.

Easy fix for some dirt on the Clean channel but will cost some extra cash: Mesa Grid slammer. Also works really good with CH2 and CH3. Excellent with the Mark V as well. For what it is worth, I love the JP-2C so much I have not been using my other amps. Awesome amp that pairs quite well with the Roadster. I have tried the Mark V mixed with the Roadster and was not overly impressed with the combination. All of the amps have great features and I would agree the clean channel on the Mark V is one reason why I have not sold it yet. Given more time on the JP clean channel and it really grows on you.

Good to know i'm not the only one with both:)

my experiences have been pretty much the same.
i find the jp2c to be more direct, ie. the knobs do what i feel they should do. with the V, it's usually more about combinations (little more this, little less that etc). anyway, i'm not selling either one :)

Hi there,

To the OP: Would you mind posting your crunch settings that you use as your 'go-to' settings? I'd love to check them out.

Thanks,

mace

I don't know whether this helps or hinders anybody (it certainly undermines my original post) but I finally replaced the V today with a second JP-2C. It's just so perfect for me - I loved the V but this just fixes all the minor niggles I had and it's smaller, neater and simpler and runs cooler with the Class A/B power section. Everything on it is perfectly judged and it's simply easier to arrive at the sounds I need without tweaking. I can even approach the V's flexibility now I'm learning more about how the dials interact. With two I will run in stereo occasionally and always have a spare.

When something's this perfect you don't ever want to be without it. It really is the pinnacle of guitar amplification in my view.

donnyboiler said:
I don't know whether this helps or hinders anybody (it certainly undermines my original post) but I finally replaced the V today with a second JP-2C. It's just so perfect for me - I loved the V but this just fixes all the minor niggles I had and it's smaller, neater and simpler and runs cooler with the Class A/B power section. Everything on it is perfectly judged and it's simply easier to arrive at the sounds I need without tweaking. I can even approach the V's flexibility now I'm learning more about how the dials interact. With two I will run in stereo occasionally and always have a spare.

When something's this perfect you don't ever want to be without it. It really is the pinnacle of guitar amplification in my view.

Can you talk about how you dial in a crunch tone with the JP-2C?

I wish it was available as a combo :/

dlpasco said:
donnyboiler said:

Can you talk about how you dial in a crunch tone with the JP-2C?

I wish it was available as a combo :/

Hey man. I started out with Petrucci's recommended Crunch settings but with the 750 slider a bit higher and the 240 and 2200 sliders at halfway. I use preamp mids just over half for a bit more raunch. Then I clean up from the guitar when I don't want all the gain. This gets me right where I used to get on my old V. I currently have gain pulled and at 6-7, and preamp treble pointing right at the yellow channel LED.

I was experimenting yesterday with lowering the preamp treble to halfway and the preamp mids to around a quarter. Then set preamp gain at halfway and you have a nice clanging Marshally tone with clearer, skinnier gain. It's not sinewy and crispy like a Marshall but it gets in the ballpark. If I want it crispier I'll lower gain and correspondingly raise preamp treble.

Back