Can't get front grill off?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InFlames235

Reaction score
Hello! I know on the JP2C you're supposed to be able to get the front grill off the head for easy access to the preamp tubes but I can't. I've unscrewed the 4 screws on the front and then used a long screwdriver as recommended to try and get the front grill off. I pushed really hard there was not even a little budge. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Be very careful using a screwdriver, you could crack the wood. I used a one inch thick by one foot long wooden dowel instead and tapped it with a hammer. It is on rather tight and using a screwdriver, especially a flat head could crack the wood. It may not destroy the piece of wood but why chance it.

I used a screwdriver because that is what I had on hand that was long enough to get past the power tubes and to reach the front face plate.

Trick, use a flashlight to view the front window, if you are resting on the tool on the bottom or on left or right side of the front main board, that will not budge.

The window is an odd shaped section on the front main board (this would be a baffle board if it was a combo) (almost a U or D shaped opening that is between the power transformer and the output transformer) and a light shinning in to the cavity will help you see it. Your screwdriver, dowel rod, board or what ever you need to use to tap the front plate away from its position must be placed in the window, not on the bottom or far right or left. You almost have to place it between the power tubes or just under them and tap it a bit. The piping surrounding the front face plate does make it a tight fit. It took a little effort for me to get the front cover off the first time. Try not to hit the power tubes with anything.

I just replaced my grille with wicker. I backed out the two top screws, but left them firmly attached. I removed the bottom two entirely and pulled the grille out easily by the top screws.

I tried doing just that the first time I tried to remove the face plate, would not budge by pulling on the screws, needed a tap from behind hence the reference to the long screw driver. Now I no longer need to push from the rear as the face plate can be removed by pulling on the screws. First time removal, the face plate is very snug in its place (at least with mine that is). What a joy it was to see it pop out as the preamp service from the rear was way too tight for my hands to reach in. Best of all, you do not need to remove the power tubes to access the preamp tubes, also means no need to wait for them to cool down in order to change preamp tubes. :p

InFlames235 said:
Hello! I know on the JP2C you're supposed to be able to get the front grill off the head for easy access to the preamp tubes but I can't. I've unscrewed the 4 screws on the front and then used a long screwdriver as recommended to try and get the front grill off. I pushed really hard there was not even a little budge. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Have you made any success in removal of the front grill? It should not be that difficult. 8)

bandit2013 said:
InFlames235 said:

Have you made any success in removal of the front grill? It should not be that difficult. 8)

Hey all, thanks for your responses! I ordered wooden dowels online due to the recommendation here and I was waiting for them + my tubes to come. They came to my office on Tuesday of this week but I went on PTO starting Wednesday and forgot to bring them home (d'oh!!). I am bringing them home on Monday and will try the dowel + hammer trick to see if that gets the job done :)

Back