JP2C ohm out comparo, 4 vs 8 vs 16 to a 1960

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJgo

Reaction score
So it was freezing & snowing here today, had some time to kill. Put together this comparo video where I took a rough 1960B I picked up & ran through various wiring setups holding everything exactly the same except for the wiring. I did it to answer some questions for me, with all the threads out there on this topic I thought it would be good to post the result!

The sound difference were subtle & could probably be tweaked with knob turning. The big thing I came away with was the difference in feel.
- 4 ohm mono I thought was muddy & lost pick definition.
- 8 ohm stereo I thought was pretty good everywhere, but not the best.
- 16 ohm mono parallel series had by far the best pick attack & feel. The tonal range was very wide & smooth. This may be my favorite.
- 16 ohm stereo series parallel also had a good pick attack, however it was angrier & the bees were out. There's something about it I really liked though, the aggression. It was however a little thinner but it really played to 80s metal I think.

I'm going to have to vacillate between the two 16 ohm options for a while before I decide. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/w94uI53hvjY

Dark, very dark sounding tone.
About 2 years ago, after playing Boogies for a couple of years, I played though a Marshall and the other guitarist had a Fender twin. When I got to practice the next day I had to crank my presence knob up to get near the tone of those amps. Mesa amps are way dark for the most part and a lot of folks think that you dial an amp in with your eyes. To my ears, your sound is dark and I prefer aged sharp, nice clear Dimebag/Hendrix sharp, which obviously isn't for everyone (Eric Johnson).

G12T75s are definitely a dark speaker. Honestly I like them with my Mark amps and I feel they open up once you get at least to "play with a drummer" volume, which was north of where I was in this clip.

I ended up wiring the cab in 16 ohm series parallel.

As time has gone on I've decided that I really prefer my 1960 cab with my original Mark IIs and IIIs. In the room I like the JP sound with the 1960 but mic'd up I think I like the V30 cab sound a little better. That said, and this is the first amp I've found this on, I think I might like the V30 / G12T75 X pattern the best with the JP. Usually I don't care for mixing speakers but with the JP I think it works. I just got a new to me Recto 4x12 cab that I'm trying this out with.

I did this test myself today. I felt the pick attack was best at 16 ohms through a Marshall 1960A with Celestion G70 speakers. 8 ohms was best with a single EV12 open back cabinet verses a 4X12 EV cabinet, a single or double EV Thiele set-up or a single Celestion C90 Thiele cabinet.

After all the combinations were tried and tried again my favorite was an open back EV12 and a C90 thiele at 4 ohms. This set-up had the most complex tone and plenty of girth. The lows did their own thing without mush and had that nice tight speaker gripping power associated with large transformers and the highs weren't spiked at all. The cut through was very dynamic and clear without sounding compressed.

Today my settings are; ch.2 - gain 1 o'clock, master 11 o'clock, presence 2 o'clock, treble noon, mid noon, bass 10 o'clock, shred on, no pulled knobs. Ch.3 gain 3 o'clock, mid 4 o'clock, the rest, the same as ch.2. GEQ-1 classic Vish, GEQ-2 less bass more 750 for lead boost. 100w.

Where we rehearse they have a bunch of these 1960 cabs in each rooms with the g12t-75s. Absolutely can't stand that speaker from using them for many years in the late 80s. They sound pretty lousy with this amp. I finally had it last week and carted my horizontal 212 out with me and it was pure bliss at volume.

GJgo said:
So it was freezing & snowing here today, had some time to kill. Put together this comparo video where I took a rough 1960B I picked up & ran through various wiring setups holding everything exactly the same except for the wiring. I did it to answer some questions for me, with all the threads out there on this topic I thought it would be good to post the result!

The sound difference were subtle & could probably be tweaked with knob turning. The big thing I came away with was the difference in feel.
- 4 ohm mono I thought was muddy & lost pick definition.
- 8 ohm stereo I thought was pretty good everywhere, but not the best.
- 16 ohm mono parallel series had by far the best pick attack & feel. The tonal range was very wide & smooth. This may be my favorite.
- 16 ohm stereo series parallel also had a good pick attack, however it was angrier & the bees were out. There's something about it I really liked though, the aggression. It was however a little thinner but it really played to 80s metal I think.

I'm going to have to vacillate between the two 16 ohm options for a while before I decide. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/w94uI53hvjY

The interaction of parallel/series and series/parallel, and 4 ohms all speakers paralleled is the biggest tonal change you are hearing, it is due to the way the speakers react to each other and cancel out other frequencies since no 2 speakers are alike. If you had 8 ohm speakers in that cab and did the same tests, you would find that the results would be the same. Of course your amp doesn't have a 2 ohm output so you couldn't parallel all of them at 8 ohms.

Also 8 ohm speakers typically have less upper mids than 16 ohm speakers, you can see that specified on the frequency curve data sheets for various speakers.

Back