Combo version?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundbee

Reaction score
Would love this in some fancy wood and wicker.
Any chance of getting this amp in a combo version? Or can Mesa custom build a combo shell?

I called Mesa customer service when the JP2C first came out to see if there was going to be a combo version. They said no because that's not how JP uses it. I asked about a custom combo and they said they didn't have a cab that would work with it.

I imagine they don't have a cab that would fit it perfectly, but it may fit in a mark combo cab with extra room.
As long as the mounting screw holes line up and it fits inside the cab, you could use it, though the chassis might not come up to the edges of the cab exactly.

I asked them about fittign a TC50 into a Dyne headshell and they told me that the mounting would work but that the TC is a bit smaller than the Dyne, so there would be gaps. I may do it anyway, if the gaps are not too large.

Or you could go the custom cab route.

I had thought I would want that too..... I actually like the head and cab option better. The vertical 212 is much smaller that it appears and fits the JP-2C quite well. Also helps with weight distribution. 41lb head and 70lb cab is easier to manage vs 110lb combo (assuming it would be a 212) or 87lb combo with a 1x12 format. I would personally prefer to take my JP-2C and cab vs the Mark V combo (has no casters = ouch on the hand and back). Also the vertical cab has side handles that is much easier to pick up and carry it than the single strap handle on the horizontal 212 cab (I have both since I am moving away from the 412 format but still have three 412 cabs to use when needed). Also I believe you get a better sound out of a sealed cab vs open back. Then to add to the complexity of it all, trying to replace the preamp tubes on the JP in combo format may be more difficult than one would assume relative to the speaker basket and driver magnet. The Mark III and Mark IV were difficult enough but I could manage those close to the front, but they did not have tube shields on them. One nice feature about the JP-2C head, the front panel comes off for preamp tube access. One of the forum members in here did a mod to his Mark V head for that ease of access. It would be great to think that Mesa followed his suggestion with the JP-2C. Makes me wonder if they opted to change the shell on the Mark V head. If not that would be one mod I would do.

Back