Finding the right tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Pearl

Reaction score
Hi guys
i'm Frank and this is my first post here. i'm a owner of a JP2c since 2 weeks.
i'm trying to find a good rhythm and lead tone.
i'm starting from "istant gratification" settings and it's an awesome tone.
than i tried to reply the petrucci tone ( watching and comparing the video too) but i'm really far from what i hear in the mesa video.
the Tone is really scooped.
i use cabs with IR and Suhr reactive load. So, any suggestions about how Petrucci mics his cabs?
thank you

I'm on the same path. One thing I noticed is that to my ears, JP actually uses less gain than I expected. He's just got wicked technique I think. Also, if you turn the masters up (1pm or so), the amp becomes a really different animal. It's possible that IRs can't do that justice.

I don't use the primary JP settings, I use a bit of a hybrid between the alternative JP settings and what my ears tell me. I recommend playing with presence pushed and pulled. There is a tradeoff in dynamics vs. tone there that is subtle but important. Pulled is more aggressive, but thinner, pushed is fatter, but more tame.

Best advice is not to look at settings, but to use your own ears. especially when using IR's; that's a massive part of the overal tone.

thank you for advices guys. it seems i find good settings for the three channels before the jp2c becomes dead silent :cry:

If you are using a load box, sometimes that will change the tone of what you hear. I have noticed similar with the Rivera Rock Crusher Recording but I can compensate with the two tone switches as well as the 11 band EQ for the speaker emulation part. Also use a mic on the cab and blend it with the emulation signal. I would rather hear in my recordings what I hear from the amp and speaker.

I have noticed in the video's that it is not clear if John uses any OD or other type of signal altering when he is using the lead channels. I am impressed how well the JP-2C responds with the Mesa Grid Slammer. It even works great with the Flux Drive pedal as well. I do not use it often but when I do I want to keep it on as it adds an additional layer to the overall tone. Still I love the JP-2C without any effects as I do most of my amps when I am just noodling around.

Back