Is it possible to make the amp sound good without the EQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipboy90

Reaction score
I find it to have an obnoxious amount of mids without the EQ engaged and scooping out a good amount of 750Hz in channels 2 and 3. Similar to the Mark V in channel 3, but even worse IMO. I can see it being helpful in cutting through a dense mix, but without the EQ engaged it sounds like someone stuffed cardboard in my ears. I sometimes struggle with taming the amount of bass on this thing as well. Any tips?

What type of speaker and cabinet? Guitar? I used my C+ without the equalizer for a few months. I would use the equalizer as a lead boost, but after a while I realized it was like having a really nice engine without the turbo boost on! Seriously, you have two equalizers, use them or go buy a different amp. It's the equivalent of having a Corvette with a V6 if you don't use the equalizers, it just sounds so much better. I've seen complaints that you can't get a rock sound out of this amp, WTF? There are so many levels of gain and options here, seriously, what tone can't you get and I'm not kidding?

I am of the opposite opinion; the V sounds awful without the GEQ, unusable for me. The JP2C sounds great without the GEQ. It opens up more usable possibilities. But everyone's ears are different and tone is subjective.

As far as taming the bass goes, have you tried turning the bass down? I'm kidding :p This amp definitely has a little more thump than the mark V. At low volumes it can be something to watch out for, but when the amp is turned up to its intended levels the sound balances out and the bass becomes less dominant but still powerful. It's one of the amps strong suits, IMO. The mids will sound better too at loud volumes. Because when this amp gets close to noon on the master it is unbelievable. I can't think of too many tips for you, this amp may just not be your cup of tea. But try shred mode or a boost pedal in front to help with the dominant bass. I like this amp with no GEQ so I'm scratching my head there, good luck!

Cabs, and what is your volume level? At lower volumes the JP-2C seems bass dominant. Try turning on the Shred mode and readjust your tone controls to your liking.

I am with Samuel on this. The JP-2C sounds great without the EQ. Just leave it off for a while and get used to it. I have tried this with the Mark V, that amp just sounds bland without the EQ. I will admit that both amps sound great with the EQ, however, when comparing the V to the JP without the EQ, the JP sounds better. I do not use EQ with the clean channel on the JP but it is needed with the Mark V. I have also tried using the JP with the EQ off on purpose to get used to the amp without it. If you leave it on, you can always center the sliders which is the same as no EQ at all.

Dial the mids a bit lower and raise the presence. I would also explore the presence pulled and toned down if you use the shred switch.

The cabs I have are an Orange 2x12 CB and a Bogner 4x12, both with Vintage 30s. I am mostly playing at lower volumes and I haven't taken the amp to a gig or band practice yet, so it's reassuring to know that the bass will reduce at a louder volume. I was reading the manual again this morning and read that the normal "12 o'clock" position is actually at 10 on the bass dials for channels 2 and 3, and you need to adjust from there to get low end/attack you want. That should definitely help.

I'll play with the amp without the EQ and play with the knobs to see if I can get a good sound. I don't use the EQ on channel 1, it doesn't need it.

It's funny, usually I prefer the Mark V over my other amps because of it's quick attack and lack of flub. After playing my Rockerverb and JP-2C more recently I've come to enjoy the sag or bouncy attack those amps can give. It makes the Mark V seem very stiff if it's not dialed in all the way.

As the volume goes up and the bass starts level out with the other frequencies, the amp becomes tighter, or more stiff feeling. All that bass at lower volumes can, IMO, give the impression of the amp being more loose than it is at higher volumes. I still think the mark V is a tighter amp but you have to push the JP2C a little bit for it to compete with the V on tightness. Ultimately, IMO, I think the extra bass in the JP2C slows the attack down just a little bit compared to the V, especially the c+ mode, again, at higher volumes. Once you get a chance to crank this bad boy up I think that's when you're really going to fall in love it :mrgreen: Enjoy!

yep... louder you get the tighter the amp gets. Also the presence control really makes it hard to beat. I know my Mark V cannot touch the tightness of the JP, it is close but I believe the JP is definitely tight, not spongy or loose. Roadster is about as loose as it gets (depending on what you have the power section set too). I love the way the JP sounds when I turn it on and keep forgetting to use the reverb. Actually first amp I have played though that I feel does not need reverb to sound good but I will use it as that is what I prefer, especially on the clean channel. Mark V has more compression than the JP. If you need that compression, get a grid slammer or even a flux drive as both V and JP take these pedals quite well. (grid slammer you can use the full range of gain, flux drive you need to be a bit conservative).

As for flub, I used to get that with the V (had an old OS Recto 412 cab, but that one would flub out even with the Mark V at 10W setting, something was not right with that cab so I rebuilt it) Out of my collection: Mark V, Roadster, RA100 and the JP-2C I have not flub issues at all. Also have more up to date cabinets (newer 412 os recto, vert and horizontal 212 and recently updated the Mark V combo with a new MC90). Old recto cab is test base for different speakers. Speakers and cabinet are the most critical to get the best out of your amp. It is hard to believe how much of a difference that really makes.

I ran my V combo through my 2x12 horizontal (V30s) for a little more comparing between it and the JP2C. I'm now thinking that the V is tighter, but the JP2C is stiffer. Confusing, I know :p I'll explain. The JP2C is definitely tight, but I'm using stiff more to describe the feel. The tightness from the V is coming from its attack and how fast it is, but the strings don't feel as bold as they do on the JP2C, the V doesn't feel as stiff. The V seems to start and stop quicker than the JP2C. The notes leap out of the speakers and then can stop on a dime when you want it to. The JP2C doesn't seem to react quite as fast and therefore doesn't seem as tight. That's comparing with the V's c+ mode. Switching to extreme, the V stiffens up, but still feels just a hair tighter, or quicker. Maybe even more articulate. it's fun to compare :mrgreen: The JP2C seems like it's got more horsepower. It's louder, bolder, bigger sounding, just more awesome. I can get them sounding pretty close to each other, but the JP2C always has a more open drive to it. It's special

You may be right, the JP-2C is stiffer than the Mark V but that term also relates to immediate response to attack. As for tightness, the JP is not as flabby as the Mark V. Which amp would flub more than the other....Mark V. Which one gets sloppy when palm muting power chords.... Mark V. It all depends on where you are running the amp and what channel and setting. Say at moderate volume levels (setting of 11am on the JP) and matching the volume level with the Mark V, the JP has a faster attach and response and the bottom end is tight compared to the V. V tends to loose composure and gets muddy especially with palm muted chords. In the end both amps are great to have but do not sound great together. I know I am not getting out of my Mark V what others may be experiencing as I have no more interest in keeping the Mark V. Even on its own and not turning on the JP to compare too, I find the Mark V to lack what others think it has. One exception, clean channel and amount of clip available with the gain setting or channel voice of the Mark V. If it was not for the clean channel on the V I would have sold the amp long ago. If I find I like the TC-50, I will wait for the 100W version if it ever comes out and sell the Mark V and perhaps one RA100. Not sure if there are plans for a TC-100... the question is do I need 100W?

bandit2013 said:
Dial the mids a bit lower and raise the presence. I would also explore the presence pulled and toned down if you use the shred switch.
Also I can't say enough about volume, the JP2C sounds much better cranked up , my understanding is its designed with pull deep constantly engaged a feature I rarely used on the original C+'s. Sometimes with a bright single coil strat but even then only on occasion . As the volume goes up on the JP that inherant pull deep diminishes some . I also felt the JP sounded good without the EQ but if its too much bass for your liking EQ some of it out. There's many tone shaping features on that amp and like many boogies, it takes time to find the sweet spots. I unfortunately had to sell mine to pay insurance deductibles for knee replacement surgeries or I would still have it. I mentioned in other post it had been sold but the decision was financial. There is a special quality that the JP2C possess I didn't feel I had enough time to fully realize all that it had to offer

+1

I was encouraged to crank my JP to a VERY loud volume (1pm on the Master) and it absolutely ROARS. It gets tighter in the lows, looser and more present in the mids. It's a monster. I think it's quite important to remember that it is a true arena amp.

pipboy90 said:
The cabs I have are an Orange 2x12 CB and a Bogner 4x12, both with Vintage 30s.

The Vintage 30s used in the Orange and Bogner cabs will have a more strident upper midrange spike than the Vintage 30s Mesa uses. Mesa's OEM V30 is a bit darker and smoother in the mids with better balance IMO.

Beyond that, Marks are one of those amps that don't always sound best when listened to in isolation but tend to sound really good in a band mix. The boxy midrange doesn't sound so boxy when it's surrounded by drum and bass.

Latest posts

Back