New Tube recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCopeland24

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a JP-2C and when I fired it up for the first time I discovered that one or more of my tubes are microphonic and since I was planning on eventually swapping out the stock tubes anyway I figured I would just ask around and see what are some good tubes to throw in her. I'm thinking maybe some SED Winged C 6L6s for the power section but I am unsure of what I want in the preamp section. Any recommendations would be most welcomed.

Preamp tubes are like wine or beer. Different tastes for different folks, the good thing about the JP2C is that it has so much gain that you can use new old stock tubes which will add character. The newer Chinese tubes are powerful and clear sounding but tend to be harsher in tone compared to the new old stock tubes. It depends on if you like a smooth warm sound or a sharp clear sound. This amp is not that hard to change tubes with compared to the mark v25, but not as easy as the studio preamp. Once you get used to the way the pins lineup, it's easy to change tubes. I've tried many preamp tubes and I have gone back to the stock tubes that came with it but I am due for power tube change as I must be approaching 1000 hours at this point.

For starters, the front grill comes off for preamp tube access. I can reach all of the preamp tubes with my big hands. Much easier to change preamp tubes than in the Mark V head. Also you do not have to remove the power tubes if the front grill is removed. Tip, once you get the screws loose, you may need to tap the grill out from the inside with a long stick or extra long screwdriver (keep clear of the power tubes when you do this) just light tap is all that is required.

I have become very fond of the amp's tone and character with the stock tubes. I did notice I had a ringing tube (not quite micro-phonic but I could hear it). Just for preamp tube diagnostics, I rolled in a different tube (Mullard 12AX7 long plate) and really did not notice much of a tonal change with just one tube. The amp has a very strong midrange so that may be difficult to tailor or alter with preamp tubes. I could have chosen a different preamp tube (another mesa perhaps but most of those made pop-corn or static). Just a reminder I need more preamp tubes as the ones I have as spares already have some use on them (some were pulls out of my Roadster that has Cathode followers in it so some may be due to be tossed). I had put the originals back in and the ringing issue has disappeared. First time they have been touched since the amp was delivered, re-seating the tubes seemed to correct the issue for now anyways.

The only two amps that I favor the Mesa tubes would have to be the JP-2C and the Roadster (with the exception of V1 being Tung Sol). The RA100 I am not using stock tubes, Mark V just sounds brittle with stock preamp tubes. SED=C= 6L6GC are my favorite in the Mark V, sound great in the Roadster, and not too bad in the RA100. I have two sets of quads that still have life left in them, but how long is uncertain so old used tubes will be avoided in the new amp, it is tempting though.....

Well I want tubes that will bring out the most of the amp's characteristics.

Ah yes grasshopper, you have much more to learn. You are the only one that is able to get the most.

I am sure there are preamp tubes out there....NOS versions if unused will be the better option.....Power tubes on the other hand, depends on the plate voltage and current. Not sure where the bias point is on the JP.

FWIW, in all my Mesas my preference is Tung Sol in V1, Mullard in the PI, and Mesa tubes in all the rest. It adds musicality & takes a bit of the blanket off compared to running all JJs. That said, the JP-2C definitely has the most subtle difference here compared to my others.

Back