Quick effects loop question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ytsejammer777

Reaction score
Last week out of curiosity, I wanted to see what it would sound like if I ran my Fractal directly into the effects loop, bypassing the preamp and just using the JP-2c as a power amp.
I could get no sound when I did this. Is this not possible on the Jp2C? I remember doing this on other amps including the MkV...

Did you plug into loop return and activate loop. Check manual to be sure that is proper method

Yes,

Output of Fractal into effect return. Loop was active.

I use the Fractal in 4 cable method, which works fine. It just seemed odd that I can't use it direct into the effects return....

You should call Mesa then as to the proper way to accomplish what you are trying to do

Ytsejammer777 said:
Yes,

Output of Fractal into effect return. Loop was active.

I use the Fractal in 4 cable method, which works fine. It just seemed odd that I can't use it direct into the effects return....

Are you continuing to use the 4 cable method? If so, stop : ) To use the Effects Return, simply run the main output of the Fractal into the Effects Return...Loop On, Channel Masters up....shouldn't be any issues.

Yeah, that's how I have it setup.
Guitar into Fractal input. Output1 to effects return. Channel master at about 1 o'clock.....
Nothing....
Not sure what's going on.... I'll look at it again after I'm back from Thanksgiving....

Also, why stop 4 cable method?

Ytsejammer777 said:
Yeah, that's how I have it setup.
Guitar into Fractal input. Output1 to effects return. Channel master at about 1 o'clock.....
Nothing....
Not sure what's going on.... I'll look at it again after I'm back from Thanksgiving....

Also, why stop 4 cable method?

4 cable method isn't going to give you the full output of the Fractal into the FX Return.

Check your Axe-FX I/O settings to see that they're set up appropriately. Which instrument input are you using? Front or back?

I use the 4 cable method just fine with my JP-2C. Sometimes, I'll bypass the Axe-FX's FX loop and throw a pre-amp block in instead to use the power section of the JP-2C. It sounds great. Also, you achieve unity gain with both Fractal outputs at full - see here. Which model Fractal do you have?

I haven't had issues using guitar -> fractal (cabs off/power amp off)-> JP-2C FX return.

I have the IIXL. I have both outputs set to full. I'm not new to this concept, like I said, I did this with my Mark V.
Also, using the amp block after the FX loop on the fractal sounds like garbage for some reason.....

When I get back home from Thanksgiving, I'll post a video of what's going on as well as my setup/settings....

Well.... not sure if it was something transient, or I was just being dumb, but tried it again last night and it was working as expected.....

One more thing here....

Tried this again today and I get a really annoying hum. Just going Fractal direct to FX Return. I tried swapping the V2 tube as that apparently controls the FX return, but no change.
Seems really odd. Also, it's louder when switching to channel 1, although there is no signal going to the front of the amp. I have also swapped cables, but no change....

Fractal is dead silent going direct to my audio interface, so I don't think there is an issue with its output.

https://youtu.be/lNWigrYmvS8

Don't you love it when problems solve themselves?

That sounds like 60-cycle hum. I have the same issue. Maybe try the ground lift on the Axe-FX?

No luck on the ground lift. Wonder if it's something strange in my house....

Anyway...something I just noticed.....

Going direct to the FX return with the Fractal, the graphic EQ still affects the sound as well as the Presence knob on each channel (even though there is nothing going through the amp input).

Channel 1 Volume control is not functional (as expected)
Channel 2 and 3 Volume control will lower/raise the volume.

I don't have a circuit diagram, but I would have assumed the FX loop was the last stage before the power amp.....

Latest posts

Back