Jp-2c vs MKV 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey42

Reaction score
Anyone directly compare the two, or own both

I've been speaking to a guy who's a session player and he swears they sound the same apart from headroom

Thoughts

They are pretty similar, and no doubt a lot of the circuitry is the same. HOWEVER, the V:25 tends to be very compressed due to its low headroom, and it lacks lows and highs, as the EL84 is much like EL34, but with even less lows.

The JP-2C has way more headroom, so it's clean channel is cleaner and the lead channels have way more dynamics and transient attack. It doesn't get super compressed, rather, you can add gain and get more harmonic content, but still get a lot of definition. It's 4x6L6, so it really is a completely different animal.

In particular, I found the V:25 IIC+ mode to be a bit anemic, where the JP-2C ROARS.

However, at bedroom levels, or recording via the CabClone, you could probbaly make do with either, though again, for CabClone recording, the 6L6 still has way more dynamic response.

I had interests in the Mark V:35 but that is about as far as I have gone with it. Never tried one but had the opportunity. :cry: I was after a vertical 212 at the time and my sights were not set on amps at the moment.

The only amp I have that uses EL84 is a Carvin V3MC. the combo is anemic due to its small compact size but when channeled though one of my 412 cabs, it sounded very much like the Mark IV combo. To get more bottom end I swapped two of the 12AX7 with 12AT7 as the gain structure of the V3M has more top end. Since it is Class A/B and not dyna-watt not sure how those would sound relative to each other. The Carvin is a 50W el-84 but can be dropped down to 7 W but not on the front panel like the Mark V:35.

I would have definitely gotten the Mark V:35 but since I have the V3MC for practice sessions it was not needed. Also have a Jensen Black Bird 100W stuffed in the Carvin combo and I also use the GT-100 as a preamp with a Dual Rectifier setting. That does the job quite well for what I use it for. I personally would not recommend the Carvin over the Mark V:25 or the Mark V:35 as those two amps sound great. If you are looking for a combo, the Mark V:35 would be great, may not be over the top in volume but it will be loud enough for general purpose. Also you will get into the sweet spot of the amp without having to use ear plugs or a power load attenuator. Also I do not have anyone to complain if I am playing too loud so I can get away with it.

I would agree that the EL-84 based amps are not the same as the 6L6 big brother, but I would not discount or avoid the EL-84 as you may be surprised how much bottom there is. Only suggestion I can offer, take some time to actually compare them if at all possible.

The JP2C graphic EQ is as powerful as the vintage amps whereas the Mark V25's graphic EQ is similar to the floor pedal 5 band GEQ where the throw is half the power. JP2C has much more gain. I will post up some videos.

Markedman said:
The JP2C graphic EQ is as powerful as the vintage amps whereas the Mark V25's graphic EQ is similar to the floor pedal 5 band GEQ where the throw is half the power. JP2C has much more gain. I will post up some videos.

Video would be great

I got a Mark V:35 as a loaner when my JP-2C went in for repair (ended up being a preamp tube that I swapped out twice with new ones that ended up being bad too!).

I LOVED the 35. I wouldn't replace my JP-2C with it, but it's a great pairing if you need a backup amp or some more versatility. In fact, I liked the 35 in some ways more then the big daddy Mark V I owned. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but sounded great and was MUCH lighter. Simple to dial in (especially if you've work with other Mark series amps). My only complaint is they put crunch mode on Channel 1 (believe that's the same with the 25) - so you can't do a clean tone and crunch tone and switch between them. But I think the Mark IV mode beats out the same mode on the big daddy amp. I don't know why, but I played a show with it and that mode just screamed on this amp. The cleans are great - a different flavor then the JP-2C, but sounded so fluid. Like I said, it's a great pairing to backup and add a little versatility to the arsenal.

Back