Soon to be new JP-2C owner so lots of questions....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey42

Reaction score
It's been a while for me with boogie. For a large portion of my playing career I used a 1991 MKiv , which was a mainstay for over 10 years. For whatever reason I then moved into the modded Marshall (Bogner, soldano, Friedman ) arena. In my boogie years I also played mk2c+ and various mk3. Loved them all.

Anyway , I've now sourced a used Jp2c that will be with me in just over the week. Having been in the boogie camp and now back in, I realise just how tight an amp they are and a different mid voicing. All of this is good but is there any way of getting some more sag to the sound. I'm not a speed picker , but love Sykes tone as a reference. Also, my experience of boogies was the ev12l, has anyone tried these with there Jp2c

Are there any more clips like the Flying V you tuber, which is more in the classic rock mode about as although it's petrucci voiced , boogies are far more flexible than that

Thanks in advance and can't wait for my new toy

I have not had an EV loaded 412 in quite a while as I removed them for Cream Back H 75s. I did temporarily installed an EV12L Black Label in my Mark V in order to get an idea how the JP would sound though it. Best results was through the Vertical Recto 212 or OS Recto 412 loaded with V30's The EV seemed to mushy but that was though an open back cab. It was okay but found the V30 provided the best response and tonal character. The 412 has a bit more of a spongy feel with the Creamback's vs the V30 but seems to perform the same with the tightness effect on the low end. The 212 cab is much tighter on the bottom end than the 412.

This guy gets some great sounds out of the JP. I do not understand German but I can at least listen to the amp when he is playing though it. It may come up as unavailable but try again if you get the error message.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+jp-2c+demo&&view=detail&mid=B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777&rvsmid=B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

There are other recordings in the JP forum, those should not be too hard to find.

Welcome back!

I also like Sykes. I believe the Whitesnake album was Mark III colis, so I think you should be able to get that with the JP-2C. It's what I am shooting for. You just need to dial up the mids a bit, and you can use Shred and pull Presence as well to get those cutting mids.

For sag, well, it's a really tight amp. Presence gives you a lot of control of dynamics, but it is what it is. With the GEQ you can get enough lows to get a looser feel, anyway.

Some clips of mine here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72687

When I first got my JP-2C, I thought it was hard to get a good tone at a low volume but if you tweak it enough you can get a great tone at low volume, it just does not translate well to a louder volume. When you get it loud, it sounds better than any camp out there.

The amp will sag just a bit but you need to be pushing your hearing limits. I think the Roadster can get a good pull on the power supply when hammering a power chord but I can make that spongy and sag as much as I want. JP is tight but it can be pushed a bit to hear the sag on a power chord. Most of what you will get with the amp is long hang time and almost infinite sustain (that may be a bit overstated on my part). I mean long hang time as if it the strings remain vibrating due to regenerative effect from the amp excitation and not squeal in to feedback. It will do that too depending on gain setting and where you are relative to the speaker. Be ready for a new experience. If you thought he Mark IV was amazing, the JP will pop the top of your head off, not sure if there will be purple smoke or not. That effect may be extra or only seen on TV. IT may take a bit of getting used to the amp but it should deliver the goods as advertised.

Are you hyped up yet? Well do not get hyped up over it. Have no expectations at all how you think it may sound and feel to you when you punch a power chord or aggressive progression and bring that tone into submission with the axe in hand. I bought mine sight unseen and only have a handful of mesa demo video's to go from. That German demonstration video I shared with you previously was what made me pull the trigger to get the JP-2C. The video seem more personnel even though I do not understand German. I remained restrained and not excited one bit even after I ordered it. Eh, it is a Mark amp, probably sounds like the Mark V and all the demo's were post effects to make it sound good. Having no expectations on the amp what so ever, I was overwhelmed with the experience of plugging into this ridiculously small box and was blown away by it. (small relative to the large heads of the Rectifier and the oversized box surrounding the RA100). It is about the same size as the Mark V:35, may be a tad bit taller though due to the huge PT.

What cabs do you have right now? Wait and see what you think with what you have. If it does not live up to your expectations, a good recommendation would be the Vertical Recto 212. If you need much more explosive volume then I would recommend the OS Recto 412. I have a preference for the slant front cab. Both are loaded with V30 speakers, the JP sounds really good with a well design cab using V30. If your cab is 16 ohms, no problem, you have a 16 ohm tap on board, one 8, and two 4's. I believe there is more tonal range from the 8 ohm tap than the 16, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck with your new amp. Enjoy and express what you think about it.

Here is another sound track with the JP-2C someone made in the forums. There is a back track for the first half of the time frame, It repeats without the backing track and is all JP-2c. Nice job actually as you can here it in a mix and without.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72621

Guys, I really appreciate the responses so far and there is some great recordings out there. I've had the chance to hear the MK V 25, and the 2c+ sounds were very good. Anyone compare the two amps, side by side before

Monkey42.
I did very short recording of the JP-2C though two different cabinets. First section of the recording is though the Mesa Vertical 212, Second is though the EVM12L Black Label speaker mounted in a 1x12 cabinet with a quarter open surface area. I have used the speaker cabinet as an accent to enhance low end with my Roadster. However, its primary use was with the Mesa Mark V combo (when I had an EV in the Combo). Also this is the first time I used a Sennheiser microphone so I was unsure what to expect. Trying to capture the real sound of the JP-2C has proven to be a challenge which has also been the case for anything I have recorded. Amp was running at 100W, CH2 and EQ1. I used a Tascam DP-32SD to record two parallel tracks. One was the Sennheiser e609 and the other was the Shure SM57. I was tempted to do some post processing but opted not to. Signals are raw with no pre or post EQ or Compression. This is not polished by any means. Guitar was live for all three passes so mistakes are evident (no worries, I was not playing anything in particular anyway, just for purpose to hear the difference between V30 in a tuned cabinet vs an EV in a combo style format (probably would have sounded better if it was closed back). Just a note: The EV actually sounds better in the recording that it did in the room. The convers seems to be true with the Vertical cab, sounded better in the room than in the recording. I did not spend any time for mic placement accuracy as I it did not matter as both cabinets are different. Also the EV loaded cab was on its side. I also noticed a ringout on the third pass, sounds like a resonating getter on a preamp tube, noticed after changing the EQ sliders and minor adjustment on CH2. I have not heard that before with the V30 cab, only with the EV. Also the EV is well broken in and has many hours of heavy use. Could be feedback from guitar relative to the speaker. May also be noise from the glass items on the shelves in the room too, reason why I do not record in the family room.

Here are some of the images of the set up. I will post the link of the sound track to the recording below the pictures.

20161112_231217_zps1jrmvbyr.jpg

20161112_225721_zpskhcmikuj.jpg

20161112_230144_zpsu42kp7vk.jpg

This is more important than pictures.... Here is the link to the sound track. Sorry you have to listen to this... :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/jp2c-v30-evwav

Monkey, you could also try a speaker mismatch for a loser feel. I've experimented plugging my 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm out. Plenty of sag there, if that's your thing.

Good job on the recording bandit! I much prefer the v30. It seems to have more detail in the highs and an overall clearer sound. After listening to it a few times, the EV almost sounded like you were switching off the GEQ compared to the v30. Very neat comparison.

All I did was switch cabs, Everything stayed the same except for the third passage, I took a picture of that too but was not much different than the first so it would seem pointless to post it (just minor change on bass and mid with a slider movement but hard to notice in the picture). I think I had the gain pulled out. For some reason the recording does not do the amp justice. That has always been something I have struggled with until I got an attenuator but was not used for the quick test. Anyways why not give the new mic its first recording. Also would have been pointless to use the cab clone as that would not capture the speaker differences. Had I used the attenuator, I would have mic'd the cab with the NTR-1 condenser as well as the Sennheiser. The mix of the SM57 and e609 was not bad though.

What took most of the time, was not sure what to record, nothing came to mind and that is what I played. Perhaps I can use that as a song title "Nothing Came To Mind". Seems like my life in a nutshell. Ha. :p

(edit) I think I know why the Mark V sounds better though the EV, it makes a better filter than the V30. Still, I like V30 as it has a higher sensitivity and quicker response than the EV.

I listened to it again, I realize the low end is lacking for both V30 and EV in the recording. I can probably get that back with the attenuator. For a raw signal it is not bad but not exact either. What 20 minutes of time will get you.

Clips here, including some high-gain mid-heavy settings and some more reasonable gain scooped settings, plus near and close mic recordings. You can really hear the proximity effect when you compare close and far.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72687

I think I figured it out, drop the presence setting and the amp seems to become saggy as well as takes the edge off of the gain character. Push the presence setting higher and it tightens up. I did not expect that. I was wondering where the tight bottom end went to then realized I had the presence nearly dialed out. Those that have the JP, try it to confirm if you can. I could be loosing my hearing... :|

I noticed the same, but I hate to lose the edginess. The interesting thing for me about the JP-2C is that the mids are also tight. The edgy thick sat is still tight, where my other amps have more "give" there. They are slushy by comparison.

I was noticing the same difference with the Roadster. High gain with more saturation than the JP but tends to get very busy and less refined with higher settings on the gain (muddy would be a better term but yet power chords still roll out with a grind). Also the presence controls are not as reactive with the Roadster. I will have to add the Mesa 5BEQ pedal in the FXloop for better comparison. That Horizontal 212 cab really sounds great. JP-2C is a winner for detailed single notes or chords, rhythm or lead, it is just a win-win. I am still blown away with it. The presence control is the key with this amp. The RA100 does not have a presence control but not sure it is needed. Mark V just gets brittle with added presence. The JP just sounds incredible with just about any setting.

When is your amp coming in Monkey? If you wind up like a small few that just did not get the mojo, it could be the cab they are using with it. The JP should put a smile on your face that looks like this: :mrgreen:

When is your amp coming in Monkey? If you wind up like a small few that just did not get the mojo, it could be the cab they are using with it. The JP should put a smile on your face that looks like this: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Next Wednesday. Can't wait...

Back