My Mark III blue stripe vs. my JP-2C, high gain.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJgo

Reaction score
Just put together a quick metal comparison video with my ESP. Crushing tones from both!!

I've really been getting into the subtleties of the knob pulls & tweaks now that I've had the amp for 6 months or so. You definitely need to put your time in with Mark amps to find your grail.

https://youtu.be/5t339KHoOt4

SLAYER!!!!!! Both sound great, different but great in their own way, and yah, the compression from the phone's recorder messes with the sound. One take is the way to go, anybody can process an incredible sound with any type of amp and the right recording equipment. The way you did it is the purest form.

I feel like I'm finding the classic Boogie growl in the shred mode, but that mode definitely needs a different EQ setup to work. That said different guitars also bring out tweaks in the tonal character as well.

I've also been re-assessing how I deal with the presence in my Mark amps. I've been running it higher, and then dialing back the high end with the GEQ. What is working for me lately is to really set up presence with the GEQ off first, and I'm finding that if I run it too low it sounds like a blanket is over the cab.

file.php

On a side note, the JPs clean channel I feel is superior to the MKIIIs cleans. It's so clear & shimmery.

Nice comp.

As a rabid MkIII devotee, to my ears your recording has more bass than needed. You could get a more Slayerish tone with bass at 0 and slightly less on the bottom graphic 2 sliders. And of course cranking the amp more! I have two Hannemans (with SPC midboost knob) and can nail Slayer all day long with the MkIII! Be sure you have your noisegate through the effects loop.

Also regarding MkIII clean sounds, the secret to me is to reduce your Volume to 7.5 and rotary Treble to 6-7, then compensate with the powerful presence knob up to around 5ish to get the treble back, and add some Lead Drive to return the gain you lost by reducing the treble knob. It makes a VERY big difference in your clean sound. You'll still need to reduce the guitar's volume slightly if you have high output pickups, but it's no biggie. 8)

I am totally impressed with the JP-2C concept, especially twin GEQs. Thank you Mr. Petrucci!! I'd say the 2C tone on Shred mode was the best for slayer riffs in your recording. I can see a 2C reaching my stable before too long!

Thanks, good advice. I definitely pull back on the bass as the volume goes up, but I tend to like a little more when I'm practicing by myself with no bass player to fill the bottom in.

I've actually been playing the MkIII on the rhythm channel with a boost lately for high gain stuff, I think it has better note separation & a little richer sound than the lead channel does for heavy rhythms. Less bottom end, too.

Back