Got a new mic and made a quick JP2C test!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattymrcd

Reaction score
New mic day! Here's a short clip of the Sennheiser e609 and my trusty JP-2C. No added EQ, comp, or any plug-ins. I was going for that deep ADtoE tone! I wanted to get rid of a mic stand on stage during gigs, so I got the e609. The e609 made it so much easier to find the sweet spot too ---- as opposed to my SM57. Watchu think fellas???

https://youtu.be/sbYYXM7ahks

Signal path:
EBMM Majesty 6 (Illuminators) - JP-2C - Mesa 2x12 (Vintage 30's) - Sennheiser e609 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Sounds good! Sits really good in the mix. I'd be interested to see your settings. 8)

SamuelJ86 said:
Sounds good! Sits really good in the mix. I'd be interested to see your settings. 8)

Thank you! These are my settings for CH2. Gain and Presence pushed. Shred mode on!
Gain: 6.5
Master: 4.2
Presence: 7
Treble: 6
Mid: 4.5
Bass: 1
GEQ: Classic V

Was not sure I was going to relate until after 1:52 on the timeline, thanks for that as I can hear just the amp by itself. Really good replication of the actual tone as it sounded like the amp was in the room ! :p Awesome job in the mix as well. This just reminds me I need more practice at playing. :roll:

I was considering that mic but could not find it locally, actually I think I was after the e906 which similar to the e609 Silver. Now I have been thinking about getting a ribbon condenser mic as I record acoustic guitar as well but would want something that can handle the SPL of a guitar amp. I have not used 1 to 10 references in a long time as I no longer have my Mark III or Mark IV. Now all of my amps are number-less. Thanks for sharing your settings. Awesome. I would agree on the SM57, it tends to filter some of the frequencies so good to hear something with the e609, I may have to consider it...

bandit2013 said:
Was not sure I was going to relate until after 1:52 on the timeline, thanks for that as I can hear just the amp by itself. Really good replication of the actual tone as it sounded like the amp was in the room ! :p Awesome job in the mix as well. This just reminds me I need more practice at playing. :roll:

I was considering that mic but could not find it locally, actually I think I was after the e906 which similar to the e609 Silver. Now I have been thinking about getting a ribbon condenser mic as I record acoustic guitar as well but would want something that can handle the SPL of a guitar amp. I have not used 1 to 10 references in a long time as I no longer have my Mark III or Mark IV. Now all of my amps are number-less. Thanks for sharing your settings. Awesome. I would agree on the SM57, it tends to filter some of the frequencies so good to hear something with the e609, I may have to consider it...

Thank you! I do have experience with the e906 and it is a fantastic mic! The three switchable eq curves are surprisingly useful. As for the e609 -- it's no slouch. It's much closer to a sm57 than you think. However, the 609 doesn't have as dramatic a mid hump as the 57. Depending on your application either one can work, I consider them both to be interchangeable. For live use, the 609 is just amazing. Just drape it over and you are golden. It's not as finicky to position as a 57 too! All in all it really doesn't matter if you get either a e906, e609, or sm57. They can all sound great, given that you spend time finding the right position. None is better than the other, just different. But the ease of use of just draping the darn thing for live use is really great!

Yeah, I would agree that dropping the mic down over the cab eliminates the mic stand. I have had my share with the SM57 in trying to find the right spot. Perhaps the cardioid pattern is not as wide with the SM57 as I think it is. I have also paired an RE320 with the SM57 to compensate for the mid hump. Now that I have an attenuator with the 11 band eq I can blend that together with the SM57 to get much closer to the real deal. Still thinking on getting a ribbon mic, Something like the shure KSM313/NE dual voice ribbon mic but that is steep cost. It all depends on how much I really need it.

Thanks for the recording again. You helped me decide what mic to get. Now that it has arrived, I will have to check it out. I got the e609 as there were many reviews comparing the two and several believed the e609 was better than the e906. I was looking for a better alternative to capture my RA100 since the SM57 filtered too much of amp out. I can't wait to try it out.

Back