The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 am 
Mark III

I've read the manual about running the 4 ohm out when in 60w mode, and also that it's not *that* sensitive so you won't hurt anything using 8 ohm / 60w mode. All that said, when A/Bing I really feel that the tone goes muddy / flat when in 60w mode & I move from the 8 to the 4 ohm jack (running an 8 ohm cab). What do you guys think in your setup?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 am 
Donating Member

I would say overall 4 ohm is less bright. I've tried all the different options and have found an 8 ohm cabinet is brighter running at 8 ohms than at 4 ohms. I run 2, 1X12, 8 ohm cabinets, one open back EV and the other a thiele C90 at 4 ohms and to me that is the sound I prefer over a single 2X12 running at 8 ohms. I used 2, 4X12 cabinets for years in the 80's & 90's because they sounded better together verses just one 4X12, plus I could hear the sound better having a speaker pointing at the back of my head, not just my knees. The 60 watt option is something I try and always switch back to 100. I've done that forever with every amp I've owned. I have never been a player who liked low wattage amps for some reason. That reason is I either perform or practice with bands several times a week and consider myself an amp player more than a guitar player, it goes with being an entertainer first and foremost as seen in my videos.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:15 am 
Bottle Rocket

I use a 16 ohm cab so I move it to the 8 ohm jack when I am in 60W mode... which is all the time. I prefer the 60W mode to the 100W mode. I even pulled the inner set of power tubes to prevent cathode poisoning since they are basically in perpetual standby. At first I left the 16 ohm cab connected to the 16 ohm jack and liked the tone but after moving to the 8 ohm jack I notice the tone is brighter and less muffled and does seem a touch louder. This works well for me since I often use a Boogie 1x12 Thiele cab that can be a little boxy by itself.

Edited to add: I just got done playing a bit with an 8 ohm load in 60W mode. I found the same result that I heard when I used a 16 ohm load. The 8 ohm load in the 8 ohm jack is a bit darker (less high end) than when I plug the 8 ohm load into the 4 ohm jack. That's pretty much what the manual says to expect. This was two entirely different loads, as well. My 16 ohm cab is a Soldano 4x12 with Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers. My 8 ohm load was my Boogie 1x12 Thiele cab with a Celestion G12H75 Creamback (I did not like the MC90) paralleled with a Blackheart 1x12 cab (a surprisingly good sounding and extremely well built cabinet) with a WGS Retro 30 (V30 variant). Both speakers are 75W.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 am 
Mark I

Every Boogie I have ever played seemed to sound best at 8 ohms could just be me but I like it better.

Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects
TC Electronics Nova System
PRS Guitars