Mark V VS JP2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonoragazzo

Reaction score
It may be already a topic describing details about the JP2C amp but still I would think it will be a good idea to hear comments from real and current users of both amps.

Can the owners share their experiences, one vs the other?

The V has more mids, especially upper mids. It feels more stiff to play, and is less forgiving. The high end can become unpleasant and besides the mids, are the hardest to make sound good. It's faster, tighter, and brighter.

The JP2C is more scooped. It gets rid of the mids that are so hard to get right in the V. It feels looser to play, or has some "sag" and bounce to the strings and is more forgiving to play. It has more low end. The bass is the hardest thing to get right. It has a warmer, more open, natural sound.

The GEQ is more powerful on the JP2C. It might be because of where it's located in the signal path or that it just has more to work with. Because the JP2C is more scooped than the V, I think it sounds better without the GEQ engaged, a lot better, making the amp that much more versatile, including the extra ways to use it because you have a better starting point, imo.

Obviously, the V is a more versatile amp with all of its modes and power amp options. This is a general comparison of the lead channels.

I must be missing something with my V..... It is not tight or mid heavy but it is extremely bright with stock tubes in it... If the V did not respond well with preamp tube changes I would have gotten rid of it long ago.... Always run the 90W mode too. I do not like brittle tones and the Mark V seems to be abundant with that. Had to adjust bias resistor so I could run the Mesa tubes without red plating. Sound great now but still not overjoyed with this amp like many others are. I should try out another one just to compare.

I actually thought the Mids are more present in the JP-2C. Run the amp without the 5band EQ engaged, also note that the amp does not suck without the 5bandEQ turned off like the Mark V. At lower volume settings the JP-2C has a bit more sag and would be about as spongy as the Mark V or even the Roadster. Once the volume CH2 or CH3 is above noon, region where the amp really begins to wake up, the mids and higher frequencies become more apparent and balances out the bottom end. To me the JP-2C is tight, bold and responsive. Roadster and Mark V seem a bit too loose and just do not compare, although I favor the Roadster over the Mark V. Also depends on what cabinet I am using for comparison. Mark V combo running through Celestion 90W Alnico speaker makes this amp sound much better, however though the V30 loaded 412 I cannot stand it as it becomes brittle and not so rewarding. The Mark V was one reason I began to hate V30 speakers in general. The RA100 is the reason why I started to love the V30... Roadster made me dislike the EVM12L as I had rebuilt my old Recto 412 with Black Label EV speakers when my Mark V was a head. Actually the Celestion Creamback G12H75 seems to be the winner with the Roadster and really kicks some *** with the JP-2C. Best paring with V30 would be the RA100 or the JP-2C in a 412.

I would probably agree with Samuel about the mids being more abundant especially with increase on presence and with some adjustment on the 5Band EQ. I have been exploring many different settings on the JP-2C and so far I have yet to find it disappointing. I am sorry for those who are not getting that magic from their JP-2C as I am. I am not on drugs either that would influence my opinion how something sounds. At the moment I have the JP-2C, Mark V, Roadster, RA100 (head and combo) to compare. the JP-2C is just blowing me away. Just last night I was trying to dial in some classic rock tones for ACDC or Led Zeppelin of which I always thought were better served up with the RA100 half stack. Nailed it with the JP-2C or at least close enough.

As for the FXLOOP, it works quite well with all of my pedals including the Line6 DL4. I tried all of those that seemed to compress or degrade signal when used in the Mark V loop. Strymon works on both equally well. No tone sucking, or added compression with any of the pedals I have used. the list of delays I have: Strymon DIG, Line6 DL4, TC Flashback, Boss TE2 Terra Echo. Reverb Strymon Big Sky, Chorus Strymon Ola. I even tried the Wampler Plexi Drive on the clean channel. I will have to explore that in more depth since I have it and never really needed to use it. Not that it is necessary as the JP-2C can really provide long sustain but I did experiment with the Strymon OB.1 compressor and was not disappointed with that either. I believe the JP-2C is a better workhorse than the Mark V, even though it does not have 9 different voice settings like the V (some of which I found unusable due to extreme brittle character or breaking glass tone CH1 Tweed, CH2 Edge. The Roadster actually did the tweed voice properly as that is one of my favorite, I can get similar character with the RA100 clean with the gain boosted. Mark V CH2 Edge, sounds like poo. I have yet not figured out why many like that voice. Perhaps I should plug my 6 string bass into the Mark V and see if that makes a difference. In some ways I envy those that have a Mark V that actually sounds and performs great, not any more as the JP-2C seems to be the holy grail of tone that I can only wish my Mark V would deliver. Only two Mesa's I bought used are the two RA100's and both of those are amazing amps. Everything else was bought new. From the Mark III combo, Mark IV combo Mark V head, Roadster, RA100 head, RA100 combo, JP-2C head, OS Recto 412 (2000) OS Recto 412 (2014). The only two disappointments were the Mark V head and the OS recto 412 I bought in 2000. Everything else has exceeded my expectations. Perhaps the JP-2C is similar to a blend of the Mark III, Mark IV, and the Roadster with a touch of RA100. CH2 and CH3 of the JP-2C can be similar to the Mark V CH3 Extreme and similar to the Mark IV mode. However, what the Mark V is lacking is the true character of the Mark IV and the Mark III. Perhaps the Mark V is a bit sterile if you can control the brittleness.

G12H75%20TEST_zpsajpleoq7.jpg

My V has been collecting dust lately, maybe 3 or 4 weeks worth of it. This is the longest I've ever went without playing it in the 6 years I've owned it. I've had my frustrations, and ups and downs with that amp. There can be a lot of searching and tweaking to coax the right tone out of it, where the JP2C just oozes glorious tones. But you should've seen my face today after I dusted off the V and cranked it up! I was loving it, like the first day I got it! It's a completly different animal than the JP2C. I found myself playing differently, more aggressive, I was ripping chords almost violently and playing fast. If you would've seen my face it would've had a big smile on it, but it wasn't so much the sound of the amp, it was the feel. The V is so much more urgent in its feel and tighter. The notes would almost come out of the speakers before I could play them. And it would stop on a dime when you wanted it. The difference in feel between the two amps is immense. And the long break maybe exaggerated that, but nevertheless, it was inspiring to play. The V is a great amp. My first post on this thread is spot on, the V is faster, tighter, and brighter. I think I would add that maybe it also more modern. The tones I'm hearing on the radio today, from hard rock and metal, seem to be better suited for the V. I was listening to Metallica's new song, Moth Into Flame, and the V would be my choice over the JP2C for those tones. The focused, rockier midrange and the tightness in the V is perfect for those tones. And those upper mids in the V sound like crap by yourself but they just slice through a mix.

When I was playing the V today, I was put off on how bright the amp is. I couldn't find a happy medium with the presence control either. And surprisingly, I was digging the midrange in the V. It has a lot more prominent mids than the JP2C. When loud, the mids had almost a box of gravel, chalky sound. Very focused, but rich. It's the upper mids in the V I hate, they were there but I've learned how to ignore them. The JP2C has a more open, natural midrange. Less focused, more huge sounding, the whole amp is more huge sounding. The JP2C's tone still destroys the V's in my book. But it's feel and tight characteristics give the amp a second chance to stick around and not be sold. The amps are similar but very different, they each have their place.

That is quite interesting Samuel. I only wish I could share in your delight with my own Mark V. I feel jaded or disgruntled when I play my Mark V. No sense of pleasure what so ever.... I do have similar thoughts and or feelings when I play the Roadster or RA100 since they lack the sterile feel of the MKV. I feel about the JP like you do your Mark V but without the brightness. Somehow I do not think you are getting the full experience of the JP that I am, or I am not getting the same experience with my Mark V as you are with yours. Tube amps, love them or hate them. Never had a love-hate relationship with the Roadster or RA100 like I have with the Mark V, Mark IV or Mark III. Of course the IV and III were in terms of versatility with some or all channels sharing common controls, Mark V on the other hand either blows tubes or has the sound of getting your teeth drilled and is almost as painful.

I appreciate your comments and opinion, and I am sure that many may prefer the Mark V or other amps over the JP-2C. JP-2C is almost a two trick pony, clean and moderate to high gain. It will compress much more than the Roadster or Mark V with the gain set high on CH3 and with a reduction in volume it will get spongy, push the volume up and it tightens up. If my Mark V sounded as good to my ears as the JP-2C I would be jumping for joy. I have gotten to the point where I do not want to use the V anymore, then again I have two other amps to choose from for various different styles of music that even the Mark V cannot dish out. However, I can get some tone or character from the V I cannot achieve with the other amps. Would I trade in my V for another JP-2C, probably so, would I consider a Mark V:35... would have to hear one in person first but would consider that option too.

Back