Any Mark IV owners compared directly to the JP2C?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7enderbender

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've been hunting around the web for an A/B comparison of a Mark IV vs a JP2C (for what those are worth usually). The next store that carries Mesa is a bit of hike and I'd probably have to bring my current Mark IV combo.

What I'm trying to decide on (yet another First World "problem" I suppose) is to get yet another spare rig to leave in the band practice room while keeping the other two at home for recording and to bring to gigs/sessions etc. My knees and my back are not taking the up and down and up and down of various stair cases well any longer...

Rig A is my Triaxis rack, Rig B is the Mark IV combo with a neat little effects rack that has the RJM midi adapter and cable for the Mark IV. I'm thinking rig C could be a Mark IV head (with a second 2x12 cab that I want anyway) and ready to go with my existing effects units and the RJM switcher. The other option would be to keep saving up for a JP2C which already has midi built in. Midi is a necessity otherwise I might look for a Mark III or something else just for the heck of it.

I really always liked the Mark IV and have been happy with it ever since I finally bought one. It's been years since I last played through a Mark II (and I can't say with certainty that it was a 2C+), which at the time was impressive. I get a lot of good stuff from my Triaxis/2:50 also and it seems all in the ballpark. There is also the difference of playing a combo vs the closed cabs, neither being "better" just different. So a Mark IV head would definitely add another flavor (which of course the combo does as well with a cab hooked up).

So, in any case, looking for info/samples why I wouldn't do the obvious (get a Mark 4 head) and instead got the JP2C route for a lot more money.

Thanks everyone

This comparison was posted just yesterday on YouTube:

"Mesa/Boogie Mark IV vs. JP-2C"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrPE-Oa6aw

There's also a thread about this clip in the Mark Series forum:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=72490

Thanks. Perfect timing to ask the question. And as so often the correct answer is: both.

Seriously, I think for my purpose here a second Mark IV makes the most sense and is cheaper. But man, that JP2C does sound very nice.

Glad you enjoyed the comparison video. I hope this doesn't come across as too spammy, but our label just released a lyric video from a song from our new album a couple hours ago, if you want to hear an example of the JP-2C on leads. Both lead breaks/solos in this track are the JP-2C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUHiIEbIY7M

Hope both videos help. Yeah, unfortunately the answer sometimes is both. :p

Thanks,
Matt

I prefer the gorgeous mids and the detailed highs of the JP-2C. I feel like I can hear the strings better with that amp. I'd be happy to sacrifice the bed of extreme lows that the Mark IV has for those qualities. Ultimately though, I'd be happy with either. Great work, cheers.

Back