My JP-2C is on the way!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
Found a deal I just couldn't turn down. I ALMOST managed to walk away, but then I rewatched the JP Tone on Tour vids and I caved.

Should be here by the end of the week!

If only I had any idea how to get the effects that JP used in those vids. Especially the chorus in #2 and the delay at the end of #3.

elvis said:
Found a deal I just couldn't turn down. I ALMOST managed to walk away, but then I rewatched the JP Tone on Tour vids and I caved.

Should be here by the end of the week!

If only I had any idea how to get the effects that JP used in those vids. Especially the chorus in #2 and the delay at the end of #3.
Hi elvis! Do you still have your G System? If so, try these settings for a similar Delay (in case you're talking about the video where he showcases his Lead sound):
Type: Dual Delay
Delay 1: 500ms
Delay 2: 667ms
Tempo 1 & 2: Ignore
Feedback 1 & 2: 30%
Low Cut: 20Hz
Hi Cut: 10KHz
Pan 1 & 2: if you're using a mono setup, set both of these to 0, if you're using a stereo setup set Pan 1 to -50 and Pan 2 to +50, it'll sound much bigger.
Mix 40%
Out Level: 0dB
Of course you can always experiment with the Mix and the amount of Feedback and Hi Cut. The basis for that delay sound is a 1/4 note together with a dotted 1/8. The thing is the G System can't criscross Feedback 1 & 2. The reason why it'll sound a bit different in the video is because he's using the Fractal Axe FX II, and the Dual Delay of the Fractal lets you set a specific amount for Feedback 1 & 2, but it also has a second parameter called Feedback L>R and Feedback R>L, which makes Delay 2 go into Feedback 1 and vice versa at the same time as it Feedbacks with itself.

This is a subtle Chorus I use, it's not so similar to the one in the video, but I'll leave the settings here in case you want to try it out:
Type: Classic Chorus
Speed: 307mHz
Tempo: Ignore
Depth: 30%
Hi Cut: 2KHz
Mix: 35%
Out Level: 0dB

Just so that you know, I use Parallel Routing on the G System.

Hope these settings are useful to you and sorry for hijacking the thread!

Augustin,

THANK YOU for hijacking my thread!! I do still have the GS and will definitely try these.

Also, thanks for the explanation of how JP's delay works. Very cool.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

elvis said:
Augustin,

THANK YOU for hijacking my thread!! I do still have the GS and will definitely try these.

Also, thanks for the explanation of how JP's delay works. Very cool.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't thank me man, after all the help you gave me over at the TC forum when I first got my G System, it was high time I gave back at least a little bit! I no longer visit the TC forum very frequently, and I'll also be moving to the Axe FX II in a couple weeks... I guess I'll be spending some time learning that thing so as to adapt the sounds I crafted with my G System as best as I can, and also make use of the added features to maybe give some of those sounds a new twist!
Hope those settings are useful to you and don't hesitate to ask again!

elvis said:
Happy to help! You'll have to let me know how the AXE works out.

Thanks again!
Will do! I may even send you some recordings comparing my sounds with the G System vs the Axe.

Elvis,
I hope you love the JP-2C as much as I do. Would also like to know how you like it though the 2x12 cab, old one or new one. I have heard many recordings done with the horizontal cab. It is a monster thought the OS Recto 412. Congrats on getting the amp. :p

Had a gig this weekend, so I barely managed to get it plugged in. As you would expect, I set it up per the JP settings given in the manual. It surely didn't sound like the JP tone. However, I was playing it quite quietly.

As always, Mesa amps require some time. I will put in time this week. They also require volume. WHen I demo'd the JP a while back, I put barely any effort into the knobs, but I had it turned way up.

Work in progress.

At the moment it is one of 2 3-channel amps I have, the other being a Dyne (not really 3-channel). My other amps are a Shiva 20th, an EL34 late-model standard Shiva (up for sale), an Archon (my gigging amp) and a mini rec (my gig backup amp). I want the JP2C to at least get up to the level of awesomeness of the Archon and the 20th. I am sure it can, but it will, of course, be more difficult to dial in.

Any recommendation appreciated!

I am sure some will report back with channel settings...
I would start with the top row of each channel at noon (gain, volume and presence). I normally set the volume low and adjust to taste after the amp is out of standby. I am too use to my Mark III and Mark IV as I do not like my ears blown out. At lower volume you may notice the bass is quite apparent. Perhaps best to start Bass at 9 oclock or perhaps less for CH2 and CH3. You may even find nirvana at lower volume levels as the amp does retain its gain character quite well. The amp will really wake up around 1 oclock on the volume. If you use the pull on the presence, back of the presence setting. Treble at about 11 oclock and mids adjust to taste. Definitely review the manual on the tone control settings as there are some tips buried in there. If it seems too loud, back off on the volume but once you get used to the amp it is very rewarding. As for the clean, you can leave all knobs at noon for a start. Clean channel will get close to the onset of clip but will remain clean even with elevated gain settings. Huge part of the tone of the amp can be adjusted with the two 5 band EQ. Very responsive when compared to the other Mark amps I have had over the years. It will not take long and before you know it you will find what you desire. I am only getting use to the amp myself and have found some really great tonal character of this amp. I am still exploring so not much help to you. It all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve. If you want more classic rock tone, dial back the gain and adjust presence to tailor how tight the response will be. The volume control on your guitar should be your friend with this amp as it would be with the RA100. Amp character is much more forward than a Mark V or Roadster. Enjoy your new amp!

Thanks!

I'm looking for a modern rock sound, something toothy with big but tight lows and not too scooped or shrill.

I'd be happy for starters to get the JP tone from the Tone on Tour vids, but so far the amp seems a bit anemic at those settings. I have no doubt he is playing LOUD, and I will have the chance to try that this weekend. I suppose it's possible that I have a bad tube, as the gain doesn't seem to be all that much as compared to my Archon and Shiva 20th.

The JP2C has a lot of gain on tap. More than anyone would ever need. You may have a bad tube if you're not getting enough of it. If you're talking more about the character of the gain though, could still be a bum tube. Hmmm... I was blown away my first day with the amp. It wasn't until about a week did I start hearing the biggest differences compared to my mark V. Devil is in the details. I haven't played a shiva or an archon but I can say the JP2C sounds less compressed than other modern amps I've played. That and all the extra low end compared to my V made me think about putting a boost in front like one would for a recto. I love the sound but I can't get it as tight as my V. I would turn up the gain thinking I could get some more compression but the amp would still remain very open sounding, and huge. :p The shred mode handles this and is a great feature for down tuners and extended range guitars. The bass sucks up its gut and you get that bite that's just tough to find otherwise. I kinda think shred is a misleading name. I'd rather shred without the shred mode, I think "modern" would've been a better name. Or more appropriate anyway. But you do have to completly redial the amp. Also, volume helps tighten things up. The amp has too much bass for low volume playing. Things can messy quick. It reminds me of extreme mode on the V. It's just too boomy at very low volumes. The amp needs the deep switch like the originals. Things even out at drummer volumes though. It definatly like to be played loud.

I'm not much help. :lol: I'm just a liitle bit suprised you're not head over heels with it like I was. :mrgreen: I guess you could swap some tubes and see if you do have a bad one. There should be more gain than you can shake a stick at!

I was also blown away when I first demo'd the JP2C. So I have a strong suspicion that I have a bum tube. Still, I haven't put in more than a few minutes on my JP, so I still have to give it a full go. Unfortunately I had a gig this past weekend and have had a busy week, including guests coming tonight. Best case, I get to try it Saturday for real.

I also haven't opened it up. I got it "slightly" used, so there may have been a tube swap. For all I know, it's full of 12AU7 or SPAX7 of some other junk.

Easy on the SPAX there buddy, I had a Mark three that responded to a SPAX in V3 really well. For some reason all the other tubes sounded slightly microphonic but that SPAX sounded really good.

I don't have a problem with the SPAX7, other than in my experience they tend to be quite low gain. For an amp with too much gain, they should be fine.

I got my JP2C cranked up tonight and had a really good experience. I just had half an hour or so, but was able to figure out what was up. With the presence pulled the amp is tight, but thin-sounding. Turning down the presence or pushing it in, combined with pulling up the mids and turning the amp up really started to unleash the beast. I still think it's a bit lower gain than I expected, but it does rock. It has less gain than my Shiva and my Archon, and the character is somewhere in between them.

At present if I had to choose one at random for a gig, I could go with any of them.

Making progress!

Elvis,
What 2x12 cab did you find more suitable for the JP-2C?

I am considering a Vertical 2x12 but have not pulled the trigger on ordering it yet as I have two 4x12s to keep me busy.

So far I have just been using my horizontal recto 2x12. I will switch to the vertical shortly. It sounds great through the horizontal, but I want to hear more of the mids, and the vertical will give that.

I have been tweaking more and am getting a handle on altering the tone. The presence control is a good bit of it. I still have to check the tubes to see what is in there. I was super busy all weekend. I'm dying to give it more attention, but life and all that.

I have been running a circle between my Archon, Shiva 20th KT88 and the JP2C. It's been really interesting. Each amp has something it does well no matter how you turn the knobs, something easily controlled, an something a little tricky to dial in. The JP2C is by far the most difficult to dial, but also has by far the most flexibility.

Right now for the JP I am able to balance the big lows vs. tight lows/prominent mids/anemia with the Presence controls and mid tone controls. I am still feeling a bit shortchanged on gain, but not by much. I am trying to get a bit more mid crunch without sounding too thin, and that seems to be the main battle for the JP.

Either way, I am having a much better experience than with the Mark V. With the V, I hated channel 2 no matter how I dialed it, and channel 3 was OK. I am much more happy with channels 2 and 3 of the JP, but still not quite there yet. Happily, I have owned the V and the V:25, so at least I have some starting point, though the attempt to recreate the IIC+ more accurately in the JP means I had to go through the extra steps of the pull pots.

I have not put anything in front or in the loop yet. Maybe this week/weekend.

OK, getting this beast dialed in! Spent some time looking through some of the alternative settings and finding some more suitable tones. I am like 90% on each of the channels and could gig with it today if I had to.

I was finding the JP2C awfully stiff, but got it to open up. I am definitely hearing the difference between knobs pulled and pushed, and finding that to be a nice bit of control that is not overwhelming.

The min difference I feel/hear between the JP2C and my Archon and Shiva is that the JP is VERY tight. YOu can dial it looser or stiffer (JP seems to run his VERY stiff), and then it just ROARS. I get the loosest tone from the Shiva 20th KT88. The Archon has the biggest lows and is a bit more tame in the midrange than the Shiva. The JP tends to be VERY tight in the lows, regardless of how you dial it, and I finally managed to open the mids, so it sits in between the Archon and Shiva there.

The differences are pronounced from what I feel (tight vs. loose), but at this point I doubt many listeners could tell the difference between the three. I am having fun dialing each to its strengths, and using each to push better tone out of the others.

As a result, I am finally hearing some tone limitation from my G System. Every couple of years I have to go through some tuning with that to get rid of impedance mismatch or other mud-causing issues. I have always managed to fix it, usually by unloading some of the pedal add-ons that I keep throwing in the mix.

Of the three, I could get away with less outbaord gear with the JP due to the extra channel. It's cool to be able to use the amp for leads.

I am going back and forth on channel 2 between presence pulled and pushed. I like them both, but need to pick a favorite at some point. I do notice that even at relatively similar effective presense settings, pulled it is more lively and open. I like that, but it can sound thin at times.

I'm still running a lot of gain. Checked the tubes and they are all stock Mesa, no SPAX7. May be a low gain tube, but I doubt it.

Switched from horizontal recto 2x12 to vertical. The Shiva radically changed tone, lost all the lows. The JP stayed pretty much the same. A bit brighter, but sounded GREAT.

I also need to set up the MIDI, which I haven't done.

Latest posts

Back