The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:59 am 
Mark III

jhilbert, how about an update now that you've had more time with both amps?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:51 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Sorry for the delay, been a very, very busy holiday season!

Tough questions to answer!! I play them both equally, although probably the C+ a bit more because it is newer.

Bottom line: they are both great amps, the jp2c is feature-rich which is awesome, the C+ has one usable channel in my opinion; you have to immediately cut the volume on the guitar, or, volume knob 1 or you will be blown out when switching from lead to clean.

The lead channel on the C+ is fantastic, but unforgiving. I've been a long time lurker on this board for years and a top complaint is that the amp "changes" each time you use it. I wouldn't go as far saying this is 100 percent true but the C+ does need a tweak or two every now and then, it isn't much but usually a slight adjustment with either the lead drive or the lead volume or mids (I keep my mid knob between 4-5, and dropped near the bottom on the slider) and sometimes the middle slider will need to be boosted a titch. Could be ear fatigue too, I'm far from an expert. In addition, the lead tone is much more defined, I feel, and you really need to master your chops or it will come out in playing.

The jp2c is consistent. Like a pair of comfortable blue jeans. It sounds phenomenal, but personally, sounds more like a tweaked Mark IV (which I've owned, not a modded Mark IV, but a Mark IV). But in honesty, the Mark series is an evolution of the "Mark sound" so this makes sense, and there is nothing wrong with that. All Mark series amps I have played are great and they all have inherent tonal characteristics of one another.

Barring a medical catastrophe I don't plan on selling either. I've been pining for a IIC+ for 15+ years! It's a phenomenal amp and if you can afford one, buy it! You won't be disappointed. But if you can't afford one the jp2c or Mark IV are solid choices.

Again, sorry for the delay, and feel free to ask questions!

Sold:
Early 90's Mark IV, Mark V:25, .50 Caliber+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:04 pm 
Mark III

Right on, thanks. Having these two, is there anything you miss about your Mark IV or your Mark Five 25?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:33 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Not so much the V:25, to me it sound tiny and didn't have the full bottom end, but granted, it has 2 el-34 power tubes so it isn't pumping much bottom end. Great cleans on it though!

I sold my Mark IV probably around 10 years ago. It was a great amp, and I have been remorseful every since. If I win the lottery I would buy a Mark IV again, but two big amp purchases in one year is enough... I would rather not have my wife divorce me.

Sold:
Early 90's Mark IV, Mark V:25, .50 Caliber+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:35 pm 
Mark III

GJgo wrote:
Right on, thanks. Having these two, is there anything you miss about your Mark IV or your Mark Five 25?

Just to give you another opinion. I rarely play my Mark IV. It has a tone all its own, not a bad tone just different than the other amps(said as more modern). I know I will be in the minority on this, but I prefer the blue stripe over the other amps, it is just metal goodness.

JP-2C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:49 am 
Donating Member

I fired my C++ up this morning because it hadn't been turned on for a month or so. Sounded great. I'll turn it on in another month just to play it but I play the JP2C all the time and I'm about 50% at mastering the tone with it. The JP2C is nice and easy to quickly dial in tone when playing different places whereas the C++ took a couple of songs to mete out punishing tones. For practice, the option of changing between 3 real channels is hard to resist.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:09 am 
Mark III

Markedman, after some time do you still feel like the IIC++ & the JP2C are close enough in tone that if you had one you wouldn't miss the other?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 am 
Mark III

Edit. Screw it. I found a great deal on a clean IIC HRG that's headed my way now. Already have the call into Mike B. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 am 
Donating Member

GJgo wrote:
Markedman, after some time do you still feel like the IIC++ & the JP2C are close enough in tone that if you had one you wouldn't miss the other?

Although they sound very similar, they are so much different in features I would not think of selling either one.
I never had a problem with getting a clean tone and heavy tone with my C++ because I'm not an emulator type, I prefer to get my own tone and generally go with that tweaking the amp throughout the night as needed. For example, playing Metallica I pull the 750 fader down. Playing BB King I'll turn volume 1 down. I had a MXR Micro-amp in the loop for a volume boost and a mini tube screamer out front for "hair" making the C++ very versatile. I played the C++ a lot this week because I played out most nights so instead of setting my JP2C set up up every night at home I used the C++ set up. I also used my JP2C quite a bit this week at different practices and I must say I was floored by it tonight. I really mean it when I say it sounded unbelievable, shockingly great tone! I'm learning the ins and outs of the interaction of the GEQ/shred/treble/presence controls getting my totally awesome thick saturated uncompressed gained-up feedback at a reasonable volume.
Sophie's choice? Only one? C++

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 am 
Mark III

So I got the HRG back from Mike B., I now have a IIC+. Damndest thing though, I came up on a deal I couldn't refuse on a factory DRG & sent it off to Mike as well, in about a week I'll also have IIC++. :mrgreen:

I've been working on some simple recordings of the HRG vs. the JP2C. I hope to record something I can post soon. I do agree with what most everyone has said here:
- Yes, in a recording you can get them to sound the same, or at least VERY close.
- In the room the IIC+ does sound / feel more vintage & the JP feels more modern.
- Live the features of the JP definitely give it the edge. For recording I think the IIC+ has an edge.

To add:
- The IIC+ absolutely has a FEEL that you get as a player that is amazing, 3 dimensional with its harmonics & feedback, that I don't get with the JP. Now the JP is no slouch, but the original is just off the charts.
- The JP has WAY more gain, I'm really thinking the JP is modeled after a IIC++. I'll know in about a week!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:27 am 
Donating Member

My C++ has the gain that the JP2C has.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 pm 
Mark III

Alright guys, check this out! My IIC+ vs IIC++ vs JP-2C. No more guessing.

https://youtu.be/T8XI4fE46qk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 am 
Bottle Rocket

Wow, great comparison. I love my JP-2C and I am always cusrious about the "Originals" this video confirms I'll continue to be staisfied with what I have. Great Job!!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm 
Donating Member

In this context (isolated guitars) the IIC++ sounds the best to me: fuller, edgier and more aggressive.

Generally speaking for what I heard, I liked the IIC++, then the IIC+, then the JP2C.

But I also think that third place in this lineup is nothing to sneer at.

-Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:18 pm 
Dual Recto

I like all three. I am sure things would be different with a different cab. Awesome video BTW. Love the guitar case too with the Mesa logo, nice touch.

Thank you for sharing and your narrative comments were an added bonus. Well done.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB