Owner's of both JP2C & C+ which get's played more?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
My JP2C sounds exactly like my Mark llC++, not close, exactly the same. I just got through playing the C++ for an hour, after an hour's break, I plugged in the JP2C and was floored at how exact the tone is. I haven't used the C++ at a gig since I bought the JP2C and have played at least a dozen shows.
I would estimate I use the JP2C++ more than 95% of the time. It's much more convenient to set-up and use at shows.

Once the volume get's up around jam volume, they're fairly similar in feel. At bedroom volume, the C++ is fuller, less brittle sounding. Tubes? Simul-class? Live, at gig level, the JP2C is smoother and more even sounding due to the compressed nature inherent to modern amps. The difference is so subtle you can probably can only hear it live, recorded, it would be so minimal you would never notice it.

I would bet that the improved features of the JP will make flexibility/ease of use win out over 5% better tone/dynamics. I predict that for most circumstances the IIC+ amps will collect dust except for high-quality recording.

You can go more places sonically with the Mark IIC+ when recording just because you have a variable first stage with the addition of channel one. Owning a JP2C has made me re-think my approach to my C+ and the overall gain structure. As most players know, with Mark 1-3, and somewhat 4, the best tone was allowed on one channel with the other channel, usually ch.1 tone's being compromised.
If I were to take the tone I had with the C+ before I bought the JP2C and tried to mimic it with the JP2C, it would be channel 3 with all knobs at noon, presence pulled, shred mode. I don't use shred mode currently and my C+ presence is a lot lower nowadays. I think a few more months and a dozen more performances will iron out all the rough edges I'm having, like more feedback with less gain and volume. That was key to my tone and I always received many compliments on my use of feedback with the C+.
The days of the C+ seeing the stage will be far fewer, if ever, with it's features and nearly identical tone, and the JP2C being purposely built for performing, why should I compromise?

I'm happy to hear so many c+ owners talk so highly of the JP2C. I knew it was special the first time I played it. And the more I play it, the more I know it's the perfect amp. I could not ask for anything more, I'm more than satisfied and I really don't know how anything could possibly sound better. Every bit of frequency that comes out of my speakers are absolutely perfect and I can't imagine anything better. I've never played an original c+, but I've always known it couldn't be much sweeter than the JP2C. I spend basically no time tweaking, perfect tone just oozes out of the JP2C almost effortlessly. You can dail in too much bass, or make it too bright, you can make it sound like an old radio recording using the GEQ, but you always hear the sweetness of the amp in there somewhere. That's what's so good about it, at its core, it has such a pleasing sound. You just dail in how much gain you need and pick your frequencies for shaping with the GEQ and that's it, nothing sounds better.

Well, I just ordered my JP2C tonight. I am hoping it is as good as I have read.

So after a tube swap and lots of tweeking the JP on Chanel 2 is **** near the tone of the C++. Then when I turn on shred mode it sounds an awful lot like the blue stripe. I am very happy with it so far.

themisfit138 said:
So after a tube swap and lots of tweeking the JP on Chanel 2 is **** near the tone of the C++. Then when I turn on shred mode it sounds an awful lot like the blue stripe. I am very happy with it so far.

Which tubes did you end up using on the JP2C?

I put a Jan/Phillips in V1 and old Mesa Chinese 12ax7 in the rest. Power section is Ruby 6L6GCMSTR.

I'll let everyone know this Friday, 11/7. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a IIC+. Actually, its an 84 IIC that was modded by Mesa. The desire and lack of knowing what I may or may not be missing finally reached a breaking point so I decided to just go ahead and purchase. If I wouldn't have, I would still be sitting here in a year wondering myself to death. I'll be sure to update!

Thanks,

Jon

jhilbert said:
I'll let everyone know this Friday, 11/7. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a IIC+. Actually, its an 84 IIC that was modded by Mesa. The desire and lack of knowing what I may or may not be missing finally reached a breaking point so I decided to just go ahead and purchase. If I wouldn't have, I would still be sitting here in a year wondering myself to death. I'll be sure to update!

Thanks,

Jon

Oo, that's awesome. Love to hear what you think.

So... here is a quick analysis: They are close in sound!

The IIC+ for lack of better term, sounds much more vintage, the JP-2C sounds much more modern, maybe even slightly compressed/darker? Either way, both are GREAT amps. I've only had the IIC+ for 3 days, I've owned the JP-2C since release date. I played the IIC+ for about an hour and then switched to the JP-2C and, not exaggerating, a huge smile came across my face because it sounded so great and comparable to the way I had the IIC+ dialed in. The JP is much more versatile, 3 channels, 2 EQs, and a warranty--all of this has been hashed out on boards and are legitimate pluses. For me, It was more, the idea of not knowing. I've been fascinated with the IIC+ for years, and am very familiar with the "Mark sound." I had to find out for myself. The IIC+ is a great sounding amp! For now, I am going to be spending as much time with her as possible!

Sorry for the delay, been a very, very busy holiday season!

Tough questions to answer!! I play them both equally, although probably the C+ a bit more because it is newer.

Bottom line: they are both great amps, the jp2c is feature-rich which is awesome, the C+ has one usable channel in my opinion; you have to immediately cut the volume on the guitar, or, volume knob 1 or you will be blown out when switching from lead to clean.

The lead channel on the C+ is fantastic, but unforgiving. I've been a long time lurker on this board for years and a top complaint is that the amp "changes" each time you use it. I wouldn't go as far saying this is 100 percent true but the C+ does need a tweak or two every now and then, it isn't much but usually a slight adjustment with either the lead drive or the lead volume or mids (I keep my mid knob between 4-5, and dropped near the bottom on the slider) and sometimes the middle slider will need to be boosted a titch. Could be ear fatigue too, I'm far from an expert. In addition, the lead tone is much more defined, I feel, and you really need to master your chops or it will come out in playing.

The jp2c is consistent. Like a pair of comfortable blue jeans. It sounds phenomenal, but personally, sounds more like a tweaked Mark IV (which I've owned, not a modded Mark IV, but a Mark IV). But in honesty, the Mark series is an evolution of the "Mark sound" so this makes sense, and there is nothing wrong with that. All Mark series amps I have played are great and they all have inherent tonal characteristics of one another.

Barring a medical catastrophe I don't plan on selling either. I've been pining for a IIC+ for 15+ years! It's a phenomenal amp and if you can afford one, buy it! You won't be disappointed. But if you can't afford one the jp2c or Mark IV are solid choices.

Again, sorry for the delay, and feel free to ask questions!

Not so much the V:25, to me it sound tiny and didn't have the full bottom end, but granted, it has 2 el-34 power tubes so it isn't pumping much bottom end. Great cleans on it though!

I sold my Mark IV probably around 10 years ago. It was a great amp, and I have been remorseful every since. If I win the lottery I would buy a Mark IV again, but two big amp purchases in one year is enough... I would rather not have my wife divorce me.

GJgo said:
Right on, thanks. Having these two, is there anything you miss about your Mark IV or your Mark Five 25?

Just to give you another opinion. I rarely play my Mark IV. It has a tone all its own, not a bad tone just different than the other amps(said as more modern). I know I will be in the minority on this, but I prefer the blue stripe over the other amps, it is just metal goodness.

Latest posts

Back