The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:09 pm 
Donating Member

My JP2C sounds exactly like my Mark llC++, not close, exactly the same. I just got through playing the C++ for an hour, after an hour's break, I plugged in the JP2C and was floored at how exact the tone is. I haven't used the C++ at a gig since I bought the JP2C and have played at least a dozen shows.
I would estimate I use the JP2C++ more than 95% of the time. It's much more convenient to set-up and use at shows.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 pm 
Mark III

Is your IIC+ a HRG, DRG or...?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:12 am 
Donating Member

DRG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:27 am 
Mark III

What can you say on the topic of difference in feel?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:31 pm 
Donating Member

Once the volume get's up around jam volume, they're fairly similar in feel. At bedroom volume, the C++ is fuller, less brittle sounding. Tubes? Simul-class? Live, at gig level, the JP2C is smoother and more even sounding due to the compressed nature inherent to modern amps. The difference is so subtle you can probably can only hear it live, recorded, it would be so minimal you would never notice it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:12 pm 
Donating Member

I would bet that the improved features of the JP will make flexibility/ease of use win out over 5% better tone/dynamics. I predict that for most circumstances the IIC+ amps will collect dust except for high-quality recording.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:13 pm 
Donating Member

You can go more places sonically with the Mark IIC+ when recording just because you have a variable first stage with the addition of channel one. Owning a JP2C has made me re-think my approach to my C+ and the overall gain structure. As most players know, with Mark 1-3, and somewhat 4, the best tone was allowed on one channel with the other channel, usually ch.1 tone's being compromised.
If I were to take the tone I had with the C+ before I bought the JP2C and tried to mimic it with the JP2C, it would be channel 3 with all knobs at noon, presence pulled, shred mode. I don't use shred mode currently and my C+ presence is a lot lower nowadays. I think a few more months and a dozen more performances will iron out all the rough edges I'm having, like more feedback with less gain and volume. That was key to my tone and I always received many compliments on my use of feedback with the C+.
The days of the C+ seeing the stage will be far fewer, if ever, with it's features and nearly identical tone, and the JP2C being purposely built for performing, why should I compromise?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:03 am 
Mark III

I'm happy to hear so many c+ owners talk so highly of the JP2C. I knew it was special the first time I played it. And the more I play it, the more I know it's the perfect amp. I could not ask for anything more, I'm more than satisfied and I really don't know how anything could possibly sound better. Every bit of frequency that comes out of my speakers are absolutely perfect and I can't imagine anything better. I've never played an original c+, but I've always known it couldn't be much sweeter than the JP2C. I spend basically no time tweaking, perfect tone just oozes out of the JP2C almost effortlessly. You can dail in too much bass, or make it too bright, you can make it sound like an old radio recording using the GEQ, but you always hear the sweetness of the amp in there somewhere. That's what's so good about it, at its core, it has such a pleasing sound. You just dail in how much gain you need and pick your frequencies for shaping with the GEQ and that's it, nothing sounds better.

Mark V
JP2C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:04 pm 
Mark III

Well, I just ordered my JP2C tonight. I am hoping it is as good as I have read.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:18 pm 
Mark III

So after a tube swap and lots of tweeking the JP on Chanel 2 is damn near the tone of the C++. Then when I turn on shred mode it sounds an awful lot like the blue stripe. I am very happy with it so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:47 pm 
Mark I

themisfit138 wrote:
So after a tube swap and lots of tweeking the JP on Chanel 2 is damn near the tone of the C++. Then when I turn on shred mode it sounds an awful lot like the blue stripe. I am very happy with it so far.

Which tubes did you end up using on the JP2C?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:04 pm 
Mark III

I put a Jan/Phillips in V1 and old Mesa Chinese 12ax7 in the rest. Power section is Ruby 6L6GCMSTR.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:58 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I'll let everyone know this Friday, 11/7. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a IIC+. Actually, its an 84 IIC that was modded by Mesa. The desire and lack of knowing what I may or may not be missing finally reached a breaking point so I decided to just go ahead and purchase. If I wouldn't have, I would still be sitting here in a year wondering myself to death. I'll be sure to update!

Thanks,

Jon

Sold:
Early 90's Mark IV, Mark V:25, .50 Caliber+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:55 pm 
Donating Member

jhilbert wrote:
I'll let everyone know this Friday, 11/7. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a IIC+. Actually, its an 84 IIC that was modded by Mesa. The desire and lack of knowing what I may or may not be missing finally reached a breaking point so I decided to just go ahead and purchase. If I wouldn't have, I would still be sitting here in a year wondering myself to death. I'll be sure to update!

Thanks,

Jon

Oo, that's awesome. Love to hear what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 am 
Bottle Rocket

So... here is a quick analysis: They are close in sound!

The IIC+ for lack of better term, sounds much more vintage, the JP-2C sounds much more modern, maybe even slightly compressed/darker? Either way, both are GREAT amps. I've only had the IIC+ for 3 days, I've owned the JP-2C since release date. I played the IIC+ for about an hour and then switched to the JP-2C and, not exaggerating, a huge smile came across my face because it sounded so great and comparable to the way I had the IIC+ dialed in. The JP is much more versatile, 3 channels, 2 EQs, and a warranty--all of this has been hashed out on boards and are legitimate pluses. For me, It was more, the idea of not knowing. I've been fascinated with the IIC+ for years, and am very familiar with the "Mark sound." I had to find out for myself. The IIC+ is a great sounding amp! For now, I am going to be spending as much time with her as possible!

Sold:
Early 90's Mark IV, Mark V:25, .50 Caliber+