I decided to join the JP-2C crowd.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger and will have it by the end of the week.
So many demos and what not to get me drooling over this amp. Now I will know for sure how this amp lives up to its name. At least I have a few cabinets to run it through. Also will find out soon enough how it stacks up with the Roadster, RA100, and Mark V. This will make number 7 in terms of Boogie ownership. Long gone friends Mark III combo blue stripe, Mark IVb combo. With two RA100 in the house (one is a combo), the JP-2C may end up becoming center stage for my vintage as well as more modern type of music.

Looking forward to its arrival. :p

Will be interested in how another Mark V owner views the JP-2C. I love the thing, but wish I didn't have to trade the Mark V to get it. Eventually when my cash flow recovers (I've spent 15K on gear in the past 12 months) - I will try to get a used Mark V at a decent price. I'm mostly missing Channel 2 and the versatility there - other than that, I have to regrets - the JP-2C is a beast of an amp.

Bandit I've been thinking about the JP-2C as well... I'll be interested to see how you like it, as we have very similar tastes in amps ;). I've been considering a Mark IV for a long time, and recently the Friedman Butterslax. Let me know if it can sound like this, then I'm in! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPR6MeIP4c

iceman said:
Bandit I've been thinking about the JP-2C as well... I'll be interested to see how you like it, as we have very similar tastes in amps ;). I've been considering a Mark IV for a long time, and recently the Friedman Butterslax. Let me know if it can sound like this, then I'm in! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPR6MeIP4c

WOW, I hope it does. So you think V30 is the way to go? What about EV?

I guess I will find out.... One old recto 412 loaded with G12H75 (awesome with the Roadster and Mark V), A new Recto cab with V30. Pair them both together is just an experience to behold. I have another 412 cab of lesser quality but sounds really good with the old V30's that came out of the old recto. I should build it back up as I put in the original speakers back into it. Thinking of going back to the V30 in that as it is more of a traditional size which gives it a different tone when compared to the oversized recto cab. For added kick I have a deep 1x12 with an EVm12L black label speaker. Tried the EV in the smaller cab but did not like them in that. They sounded better in the old recto 412 or in the Mark V combo (favoring the C90Walnico at the moment).

If I am blown away with the JP-2C (assuming it is easy to dial in a tone) I will make a recording of it.

Pair them both together is just an experience to behold
Yes it is :twisted:

Speakers are definitely are a huge part of the sound, and a blast to experiment with.

I run a Mesa 2x12 with V30s for the Roadster. And a PortCity 2x12 OS (V30 and ET65) with the V. The V30 and ET65 are great all around, but not the best for Ch3. I've been considering changing out to 2 V30s just because it sounds so good on Ch3.

sheehanje,
I have gotten used to my Roadster that is basically the same tone with some variations on each channel. I will get slammed by the DR people for that.. It is more than just one theme or flavor to be honest but does not have the complexity of tone changes or character that the Mark V has. I would say the one trick pony I currently have would be the RA100, actually that amp is flexible too but has that vintage vibe I love so much. The half stack is awesome but the combo serves it up in a different character. Sure both amps sound identical though either of the 412 cabs. The RA100 seems to put a smile on my face more than the Mark V ever could (before I made a few changes). Roadster is just raw to the bone punch and I am still learning more about it. Finally did a detune by a half step down (D#,G#C#F#,A#,D#). Holy Hana did that really wake the amp up, I was running both 412 cabs when I did it. I normally play standard tune. Methinks I need a 7 or 8 string guitar now. I do like the Mark V and since I have had the love/hate relationship with it I probably would not miss it if I sold it.... or would I? Of course I would. From what I read thus far, the JP-2C can get close but not close enough to the CH2 Crunch. Just that voice alone driving two EV speakers with the gain maxed out is pure nirvana and seems to perform better than the Roadster in that regard. (trick is the preamp tubes in use, especially in V2).

I am not getting the JP-2C to replace the V or any other amp (I did consider selling off some gear to get it though but decided on a different plan instead).
I have had a gear fund account that I created just for that purpose. I have more of an issue saving money so if it gets automatically transferred on a schedule I can save up money as I will not spend unless needed. That helped me get some Strymon Pedals, a new guitar (usually the tax refund fuels that).
I have GAS but I have learned to be patient. Everytime I have sold something I end up getting a fraction of what I could have gotten.

Lesson well learned from my past mistakes. I had a Les Paul Spotlight that I bought new in 1984. Owned that guitar up until the end of 1999 and was forced to sell it to finance my divorce. I paid $890 in 1984 (list was $2,00). When I sold it I got back what I paid for it as I was in need I took the bath as not many places would offer me any more.

I was commenting on the exact same guitar and shared a picture of it that I still had. I decided to look up the specs as I could not remember what pickups were in it and found a Reverb listing that turned out to be my old guitar. Things like this happens when you sell gear even when you know there is more value than what you are getting in return. Here is a picture I took back in 1985 when I was in high school, had joined a photography club so black and white film was a requirement. The image is proof positive it was my old guitar in the Reverb listing.

https://reverb.com/item/1319772-gibson-les-paul-spotlight-special-1984-antique-natural

I only wish I was the recipient of the $8,495.00. I got rooked and knew it when I sold the guitar in 2000 only to get $890. 00. That is how life is sometimes.

serialnum_zps6e166cf7.jpg

iceman said:
Pair them both together is just an experience to behold
Yes it is :twisted:

Speakers are definitely are a huge part of the sound, and a blast to experiment with.

I run a Mesa 2x12 with V30s for the Roadster. And a PortCity 2x12 OS (V30 and ET65) with the V. The V30 and ET65 are great all around, but not the best for Ch3. I've been considering changing out to 2 V30s just because it sounds so good on Ch3.

I have tried combining speakers in the same enclosure. That just did not make much of a difference as the V30 tone always dominated. The EV/V30 mix was interesting. Having the cab with the same speakers but another cab with different speakers can be really awesome. Two cabs loaded with V30 is also amazing. Probably why I will load up the unused 412(Egnator) with the old V30s. Not as solid as the Mesa cabs. Perhaps I will order a traditional Recto 412 cab or the Recto 2x12 vertical slant cab. The sweetwater demo used that cab and it sounded great.

I did look in here what issues may be relevant with the FXloop in regards to signal level. I am not going to ask the question as I will find out for myself soon enough. In regards to the Mark V, I have a few pedals that cannot be used in the V loop but work well with my other amps due to the applied signal level. Yeah I have tried adjusting the send signal. Some pedals still compress or degrade the sound. Not line level compliant.

If the reverb is about the same as it is on the Mark V I have that covered. So far I believe the Roadster has a nice reverb sound, RA100 is okay but can saturate if set too high, Mark V is okay and not very spectacular, may seem a bit more apparent even when set low.

The RA100 seems to put a smile on my face more than the Mark V ever could (before I made a few changes).

I think I cried the first time I played the RA100 :) It was instant gratification and scratched the tone itch I'd been after for a long time. The V Ch 2 Edge and Crunch would be hard to replace and are worth the keeping the V for. Though the V hasn't filled the heavy Mark tone I've been after, though I've been getting closer with tweaks to the eq. From this forum it seems like JP-2C nails it and has all the bells and whistles.

I struggled with the V over the years. Last night I decided to remove the Celestion Crème 90W speaker temporarily out of the Mark V combo and install the EVM12L Black label speaker. I really love the Celestion Crème though, so it will go back in soon. I need to try the JP-2C with a few speaker options. I have one setup with the Mark V with 2 EV speakers that will take down the house (one of the EV is mounted in a deep 1x12 extension cab). Need to use the two 4 ohm jacks which does cut some treble. Push the gain on CH2. Roadster cannot touch that at all. That is basically one reason why I cannot let the Mark V go. Sounds incredible on CH3 too. Even just the combo with the EV is monstrous. It only takes about an hour two swap speakers in the V combo. I could probably do it in less time but I try not to rush.

My plan is to compare the JP-2C though the pair of EV speakers, OS Recto 412 with V30, and OS Recto 412 with Celestion G12H75. While I am at it may as well play it though the RA100 combo speakers (pair of G12H75) as they sound different in open back format vs closed back. I am leaning on getting a 2x12 cab but if the EV sounds great or better than the other options, all I would need is two empty 1x12 cabs since I have the speakers to load them with. My go thiele route and open back combination.

Well, the amp is now a part of my collection. WOW does not say enough about this amp. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :shock: :mrgreen: 8)

I did write up a review but is long. Seems more on a quest to find what speaker and cab to use. In very short terms, I am completely satisfied with the amp. I have only scratched the surface of its potential in one day. So more things to experiment with, like the FX loop. The one that arrived today, had an addendum in the manual packet with the warranty and other documents relating to the Loop update. Running the amp dry and with some reverb I am overjoyed with it. I am not even tempted to roll any tubes in this amp as it is perfect as it out of box. (I would hold off on tube rolling anyway as it is new). It is almost as easy as the RA100 to dial in. :shock: :p

bandit2013 said:
It is almost as easy as the RA100 to dial in. :shock: :p
You're darn tootin'!! Easy cause it sounds soooo good! Even without the GEQ it sounds great. You have such a great foundation to start with, even before you get to the GEQ, it makes it much easier to dial in and much, much more versatile, compared to the V (lead channel). I'm using the GEQ a lot more than I ever did with my V, so many more shapes to explore and even foot switching the GEQ off, for even more great sounds!

I never realized the potential of having two EQs would be, especially having the ability to choose by footswitch. Note that the Mark V does have two EQ separate from the tone controls, preset vs 5 band. I use the 5 band sliders for CH3 and the preset for CH2. As for CH1 it is either or. There are some similarities of the Mark V to the Mark IV as both sounded better when using the EQ at the end of the signal chain. In both cases, the circuit design is similar such that it is transistor driven vs tube driven. The send signal of the FX-loop is also derived from the same circuit and then buffered by a tube circuit on the return. I never tried to dial in a channel without the EQ and use the EQ as an effect on the Mark V.

The JP-2C on the other hand does not matter if EQ is on, set to one or two, or turned off. Perhaps it is my first Mark series amp that sounds great with the EQ turned off. It does remind me of my Mark III I sold a while ago. If I had regrets on selling it, I do not have them any more.

Easier to find great tones than the Mark V indeed!

I love my V! It is a tricky amp to find the sweet spots though.

bandit2013 said:
Well, the amp is now a part of my collection. WOW does not say enough about this amp. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :shock: :mrgreen: 8)

I did write up a review but is long. Seems more on a quest to find what speaker and cab to use. In very short terms, I am completely satisfied with the amp. I have only scratched the surface of its potential in one day. So more things to experiment with, like the FX loop. The one that arrived today, had an addendum in the manual packet with the warranty and other documents relating to the Loop update. Running the amp dry and with some reverb I am overjoyed with it. I am not even tempted to roll any tubes in this amp as it is perfect as it out of box. (I would hold off on tube rolling anyway as it is new). It is almost as easy as the RA100 to dial in. :shock: :p

The JP-2C is a REALLY great amplifier. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I was at one of those "I can only have one of these amp" stages and opted for the V, but part of the reason I felt so good about going to the V was that the JP-2C was super easy to dial in great sounds on. Once I knew the tones I liked and convinced myself that I could reproduce them to my satisfaction on the V, I felt comfortable switching back to it.

I am probably going to own another JP-2C along with this V again someday. I do miss mine.

One thing the JP-2C definitely did was teach me to love the Mark Clean voicing. Once I had a taste for it, I definitely preferred it over Fat mode.

-Daniel

Thanks ! :p

I am thinking this amp would work great with the Mark V just as much as the Roadster. If I had any talent or perhaps lack there of, I would be able to manage getting all of my amps in one recording. Another day of rest to recover from a strained back. That little amp is heavy mind you..... not the reason for the strained back though, blame it on too much yardwork and other projects around the house, what a way to spend vacation time. At least I have a new toy to play with. I know I will eventually begin comparing the JP-2C to my other amps. Also want to throw all of my effects pedals in the loop.

I was reading thought he manual, if you have more than one JP-2C you can daisy chain them together thought the midi port and control all of them with one footswitch, that is cool.

I had not realized we can daisy-chain JP-2Cs!
Thank you for highlighting that!

I have 2 JP-2Cs!

Apparently you can, look in your manual on page 26, paragraph just below the center of the page, below the NOTE: EMERGENCY FAIL SAFE bla.bla.bla
Header is Controlling Multiple JP-2C. Not sure how many you can chain in the Midi feed through,. One with the footswitch to be set to channel 1, the others need to be set to a different midi channel. Now I want antoher one....

Latest posts

Back