Using the 2 GEQ's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you set up your GEQ's?

• Dedicated - GEQ1 to Ch. 2, GEQ2 to Ch. 3

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Lead boost - GEQ1 to Ch. 2&3, GEQ2 lead boost

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Flexible - GEQ1 & 2 off, set to different curves & assigned at will

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone runs their GEQ's? I use my GEQ2 as a lead boost with a slightly different curve than GEQ1, not radically different like I've seen some settings. Channel 2 & 3 rotary knobs are set very similar with ch.2 getting more treble and presence and channel 3 more gain and mids. My gain settings are all over the place depending on song, so it's nice to be able to cover them all with one amp.
One of the bands I play with, my gain settings are so low, around 7:30-8:00, that there isn't much difference between ch. 1&2. My favorite thing about the JP2C compared to the C++ is the great clean tone I can get without GEQ, whereas I used the GEQ with the C++ and had to be mindful of being too bright with clean or too dark with lead and rhythm or vice-versa if the GEQ was off for clean.

The dudes who are playing at home might not realize how much a subtle tweak of the EQ will cause the lead to pop out of the mix and may tend to set up more extreme differences between the two channels to make things more audibly different in their environment.

I use the 2nd GEQ for a different guitar with a different tuning. It's very convenient 8).

Lately, I've been playing around with the GEQ quite a bit. Which is new for me. I used to have it almost permanently set on my mark V, everytime I tried to adjust it I just ended up frustrated. I'm pretty sure it's because of how bad (I thought) the mark V sounded without the GEQ engaged. I actually love the JP2C without the GEQ. And I think that translates to more shapes and usefulness out of it's GEQ, and makes the amp that much more versatile. It just has such a better foundation to build its sound from than my mark V had I'm starting to really appreciate the GEQ.

If you really need to know how great this amp is, do this. Pretend that your JP2C has no GEQ. Dial in a great tone ala Marshall/Fender/Orange whatever, it is quite possible with this amp, easier than a vintage C+, I know because I tried and tried to live with the tone I got without the C+ GEQ just so I use the GEQ as a boost. That experiment failed, I need the GEQ with my vintage amp. I even tried to put the new 5 band GEQ in the loop, nope. After getting the best tone start out with the GEQ flat and make some slight adjustments, then turn the GEQ off and on while dialing your tone. You'll use way less GEQ and, well, as I have said before, it's the GEQ's that sets a MESA Mark amp apart and this experiment should show you just exactly how much better this amp is to anything on the market. No, a GEQ in the loop is not the same, just isn't.

I've been using them dedicated, but I love this idea. So I could have a crunch channel, a heavier crunch channel with the same EQ, and then alter the tone via GEQ3? Brilliant!

Back