JP2C Master Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheocracyMatt

Reaction score
Hi All--
Quick question, and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere (I didn't see it in any of the threads I read, but I might have missed it). Has anyone noticed their JP2C being quieter than other Mark amps? Mine sounds good, but starting with the recommended Petrucci settings and having the channel master around 10:30...it's a fairly loud volume for playing alone, but not loud enough for band rehearsal for example. I always keep the master of my Mark IV at 2-3, with the lead channel volume at 4-5, and that is ear-splittingly loud. To approach that level with the JP2C (again, using the heavy rhythm Petrucci settings for example), the channel master has to go up to 2:30 or so. That's fine, it's no big deal, obviously...but it seems like turning the master up beyond that (and even diming it completely) doesn't add much more noticeable volume past that point. Where it gets weirder is that turning the presence up (especially pushed), the overall volume increases dramatically (not just the "brighter seems louder" thing, but I mean a large, full-bandwidth jump in volume).

It's not that I need unusable volumes for regular use; it's just that I've owned three Mark IVs, a Mark III and a TriAxis rig (in addition to multiple Dual Rectos, etc.) and this is just different than I've experienced. When I first purchased and hooked up the JP2C and switched from standby, it immediately blew the fuse--a power tube malfunction burned a screen resistor and I had to take it in for service before even getting to use it. It's fine now in that regard, but I guess I'm paranoid that something is wrong. I wish I had another JP2C to compare it to side by side.

Cheers,
Matt

The channel master at 10:30, with those settings, is about as loud as you say it is. Loud for by yourself but not quite enough for a band. I'm most familiar with the mark V out the series and I will say the master volume control is very different. The V, with the loop bypassed, goes from bedroom volume at 8:30 to loud at 8:31. The JP2C has a smooth, even sweep of volume as you turn the dial. So it will get louder later on the dial. The V stops getting louder around 1 o'clock or so. That's as loud as it gets with those settings. After that the master control turns into a power tube overdrive control. The JP2C makes it almost to 3 o'clock before becoming a power tube overdrive control. So your amp sounds like it's working like normal. I can't comment on the presence control, I'll have to experiment with that later today.

I don't know if mesa made the volume sweep that linear on purpose or if that's just the way it is. But it is kinda fulfilling seeing the master higher than I'm used to seeing it on other Mark amps. 8)

Man, I wish my other Marks had the same curve. Both the Mark III and the V go from "a little too quiet" to "the cops will be here in five minutes" if you twitch your hand at all while you're adjusting the volume level.

"You can think of the PRESENCE as a control that allows you to either clamp the power amp down, compressing it and darkening the sound, or open it up and let the full spectrum of upper harmonics come blazing through. It also has a great deal to do with how dynamic the signal is and how a sound will cut through the mix in an ensemble environment." From the JP2C manual page 11.

Excellent, thanks guys. That makes me rest a little easier. 8)
And dlpasco, I know exactly what you mean re: "a little too quiet" to "the cops will be here in five minutes" with the tiniest adjustment! :lol:

Cheers,
Matt

Matt, I had the same issue with the JP. I had to set my master volume around noon to be heard in a band mix.

Mark III and Mark IV, I always had issue trying to set a suitable volume level. With either of those amps, a setting of 3 on the output level is basically at full signal to the power amp section. The Mark IV was much easier to adjust due to each channel having a master control before the final volume. Once you set it above 4 the power section will begin to compress.

JP is similar to the more modern Mark series amps from the V and later variations... There is more degree of control with the master volume setting. As many have said in other form pages, set with your ears and not your eyes and forget what you learned about other amps.

Somehow I thing that having the amp running about full capacity near 3 or 4 may have been done on purpose. The number on the dial has no relevant meaning when comparing a different amp (Fender?, have to consider the Mesa roots and how it all started). I would rather have more control on the output volume level than what I had with the Mark IV or Mark III. Great amps but sometimes hard to live with in all situations.

I just jammed today with some buddies and i observed the same thing. Like the jp2c lacks power. And is quite bright and shrill. Like something is holding it back whereas the mark iv i sold opens up like a monstereven with slight master movement. I actually thought that maybe something is wring with my amp

bandit2013 said:
Mark III and Mark IV, I always had issue trying to set a suitable volume level. With either of those amps, a setting of 3 on the output level is basically at full signal to the power amp section. The Mark IV was much easier to adjust due to each channel having a master control before the final volume. Once you set it above 4 the power section will begin to compress.

JP is similar to the more modern Mark series amps from the V and later variations... There is more degree of control with the master volume setting. As many have said in other form pages, set with your ears and not your eyes and forget what you learned about other amps.

Somehow I thing that having the amp running about full capacity near 3 or 4 may have been done on purpose. The number on the dial has no relevant meaning when comparing a different amp (Fender?, have to consider the Mesa roots and how it all started). I would rather have more control on the output volume level than what I had with the Mark IV or Mark III. Great amps but sometimes hard to live with in all situations.

One of my favorite things to do with the Mark III (which basically makes the clean channel unusable, or deafening) is to set the Lead Volume to zero and then crank the Master volume to about 3. The basic Volume control is adjusted to taste (7.5 to 9 or so, usually).

This results in a good, full-throated roar that is pretty loud for bedroom playing, but honestly pretty quiet for a rehearsal.

Just do NOT switch to the clean channel unless you want to become sterile. It'll be deafening.

I'll agree with what's been said about the MkIII volume, and also what's been said about the JP volume. I just wanted to add that, on my new-to-me Mark IIC+ HRG, it has the same soft volume taper of my JP2C. Today I was playing through my 1x12 Recto cab in 60 watt mode, and I had the volume at 4!!!!! It's very linear.

GJgo said:
I'll agree with what's been said about the MkIII volume, and also what's been said about the JP volume. I just wanted to add that, on my new-to-me Mark IIC+ HRG, it has the same soft volume taper of my JP2C. Today I was playing through my 1x12 Recto cab in 60 watt mode, and I had the volume at 4!!!!! It's very linear.

MY GOD

Matt, also, it is still under warranty if you have any concerns give Boogie a call.

I was just in Braselton for work, too bad, I could have come by & let you know how it compares to mine. I will say that my IIC+ HRG & my JP do feel "quieter" than every other Boogie I've ever played. Part of it is that the volume knob taper is different, part of it I think is because they are so smooth. The III for example feels louder than it is because it's more harsh on the ears.

In my Mark IIs, III and the JP the presence knob solidly affects the volume.

Back