Can it do mark v crunch or mark 1 type leads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1330

Reaction score
For those that have played both I hope this isn't a stupid question...can the JP2C get close to the Mark 1 lead sound on one of the gain channels and or the crunch mode of a mark V? I asked as I like the options much better in this amp but really like those tones.

Yes, you can get those and most any Mark tone you want with the JP2C. Any amp will take a few months of playing before you really find all the different tones in it. Anyone who says an amp isn't for them most likely hasn't owned it for a long enough time to find it"s heart and soul. I'm still just starting to scratch the surface with my JP2C and I have owned Mark amps for 3 1/2 years coming from the Marshall/Fender camp. The GEQ on a Mark amp is where you'll find your Mark I & V sound, master that and the world of tone matching becomes easier. The JP2C has every Mark amp in it as you will see over the next few years absolutely!

It will do the mark 1 lead sound very well. No problems there. But crunch mode is a bit different. The JP can't do some of the modes the V has very well. Like tweed and edge. Those voicings are just so different from the lead channels. And crunch mode isn't too different, it's most similar to the c+ mode, but is voiced slightly different. Think of it like this; on your V, using Mark IV mode only, with the GEQ if you want, try to dail in the crunch sound you like. That's what it will be like with the JP2C, you'll have a lead channel that's most similar to the IV's voicing and the same GEQ to dail in a crunch sound. I'm sure you'll find something you like, but you won't be able to sound exactly like crunch mode in either amps lead channel. And a tip for getting a good crunch sound on the JP, keep the treble and mids low, like below 10 o'clock. The tone controls can add a lot of gain, so keeping them low will help tame this beast. Less saturation means means more note definition, and a tighter and more clear crunch sound. Use the very powerful presence control for your brightness.

So is it possible to get a spanky marshall like tone on the jp2c? I used the mark v's crunch with my strat to achieve a Nuno type tone and mark ii c+ mode for petrucci type leads. I've dialed in the creamy jp leads on channel 3 but struggle with spank. The tone I try is match is a nuno/petrucci combo that sounds badass when done right. The mark v took long to dial in the way I want and I'd hope to get a jump start on the jp2c. Dropping gain seems to lose think mid range spank. Should it be assumed that these amps are too different to emulate eachother?

The V's lead channel is pretty close to the JP2C's lead channels. The preamp circuit should be almost identical. So anything you can get out of your V's lead channel can be had on the JP. It will just sound a little sweeter through the JP :lol:

The Mark V: Mark 1 mode of CH2 is quite easy to dial in on the JP-2C. Just cut the midrange on the channel gen eq. I decided to compare the two amps again and was thinking about this post today.....

I have replaced the speaker (I believe it suffered from the JP driving it) in my Mark V with one of a few EV speakers I have so I could also use the 1x12 extension cab loaded with an EV. Both Mark V and JP are side by side, JP driving a Vertical 2x12 and stock tubes. Mark V does not have stock tubes in it. (edit: V1 Mullard LP, V2 Mullard CV4004, V3 Mullard LP, V4-V5 (JJ ECC803s), V6 Mullard LP, V7 Sovtek LPS, Power tubes Ruby 6L6GC-MSTR, Rectifier is EH 5U4GB), with stock tubes the V is to brittle for me so the change in preamp tubes sounds much closer to the JP with stock tubes, or as close as it gets anyway).

JP-2C on CH2 and CH3 were set up identical (almost). Both amps sound almost identical but the JP was a tad bit louder. Could have dialed down the bass a bit but almost a dead ringer based on the settings in the following pictures. Sorry I did not record anything. Your results may vary but this should get you close to the Mark I mode of the Mark V. All of the 5bandEQ were set in classic V pattern. (edit: all of the pull pots are pushed in).

MARK1-V_zpsgs4hmmed.jpg

JP-MARK1_zpsvfng2fbc.jpg

I'm really surprised to hear all you guys saying the JP2C can get the Mark 1 tones. The Mark 1 setting on my V is a BEAST of a tone, and is VERY different than any other setting on it, or any other Boogie I've played or heard except for the Mark I that a guy I knew had many years ago. And, I remember that tone very well (as well as the weird amps settings he used to make that lead tone sing) and my V sounds very much like that and requires the same type EQ (bass 9:00 or less, treble and presence both past noon even with V30s, etc.). The Mark IV channel in my V is fatter than the IIC+, and I'm not sure I can make the IV sound like the I. Guess I'm just really surprised to hear everyone saying the JP2C can dial in Mark I tones. The I is a very fat bottom heavy tone that rumbles my room at volume, even with the bass all the way down.

As a former owner of a 1978 HRG Mark I and the current owner of a 1985 DRG Mark IIC+, I cannot see how anyone could hear those two amps to sound alike. The tone stack is so much different, and cannot be replicated, one to another. I love them both. 8)

It could be my Mark V not behaving like a Mark V so I may be comparing an apple to a lemon. Then again, does the Mark V ch2 Mark I mode really sound like the real deal? or is it like the CH3 IIC+ mode that you have to dial in a specific setting so it sounds like the IIC+ with a specific setting and only get that limited character? But in all honesty, it can do the Mark V CH2 mark I as shown in the two pictures. I did not think this would really work due to the dramatic change the Mark V tone takes on, but it sounded the same with the mid dialed out on the JP-2c. I had to find out for myself and well it was convincing to me. However, can you dial in the full range of character you can get with the V in the Mark I mode with the JP? Probably not, I only managed to match the tone and gain structure of the Mark V as shown with the JP-2C but have not tried variations yet. I just thought this would be helpful to those who have asked.

Now that I have changed the preamp tubes in the V, I can dail it in again to confirm. This time I will move the toggle to thick and see what happens. I may as well just use one cab too. Perhaps my 412 running in stereo mode would help.

I doubt that edge mode could be achieved with the JP as there is a limit on how low you can set the gain on CH2 or CH3.

Running in thick Mark I set to on, they tone of the two amps have parted their ways.... However, if I drop the 240Hz slider on the JP it does get closer to that of the Mark V: Mark I setting in thick mode. JP has more abundant midrange (at least this is what I am finding) than that of the Mark V, either that or it is more difficult to filter it out most of it to get closer to the Mark I thick lead sound. On comparison between the two but this may be related to age and use of the sliders as that the JP 5BEQ is more reactive to change in setting vs the 5BEQ on the Mark V, also much more than the 5BEQ pedal as that is closer in frequency affects as the Mark V.

Latest posts

Back