Anyone has their EQ in the weird shape like I do?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingblade

Reaction score
New JP-2C owner here. Very happy with the amp so far it plays better and has more characteristic than my old Mark V 25.

That being said when I tried inputting some of JP's settings for lead (Channel 3, EQ2), I found that it sounds a bit too tangy and there is a bit of hair on the high end while I prefer my lead tone to be smooth, liquid, sustaining while keeping the gain high.

What I did was I cut off the 2 high frequencies on the GEQ at 0 level and achieved what I need, a great liquid-y lead tone without the fizziness on the top end but then the tone became a bit too muddy and bassy. So I cut off the 2 low frequencies as well and now it is in a weird reversed V-shaped like in the picture:

13726655_10206997964604684_2231670235654347492_n.jpg

Now what I achieved is this smooth, singing tone that is very pleasant to my ear and very close to the best John Petrucci tone (in my own opinion and taste) which is his lead tone in the Dream Theater album (think about his solo in The Bigger Picture or Behind The Veil)

But I never seen anyone did it this way to be honest :)) is something wrong with my ear or sthing? :lol: :lol:

Now I understand that this settings works well for me in a bedroom, solo play situation and for a live settings I need to put the GEQ back into some form of V-shape for it to cut through the mix and be heard clearly on stage.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I've experimented with the reverse V after watching this guy's video where he played his IIC+ like that, and had this epic tone. Wish I could find the link for you. I've found some killer "Appetite For Destruction" tones in my JP this way. :)

All of my videos with my IIC+ and IV are upside down V (or the ^). Got some improv solo stuff , as well as a lines in the sand jam. Please check out my posts!

https://youtu.be/5E7hrsXtDDM

https://youtu.be/hy6Jom3CmRM

https://youtu.be/5CaM2-XqjeY

I believe at that time I had a classic lead 80 and a heritage 65 in and oversized cab. Best amp/speaker setup I've ever had.

I'm currently using c90 speakers as well, and I love them if they have space.

Yeah my current tone sounds somewhat like this :D

I am happy.

I wish I had 1% of your skills though :)

fatbagg said:
All of my videos with my IIC+ and IV are upside down V (or the ^). Got some improv solo stuff , as well as a lines in the sand jam. Please check out my posts!

I definitely need to try this :)

How is the VoodooRec? How does it differ from a stock version? Also, you should record some of your EQ findings.

Hey fatbagg the Recto is on shipment and will be here in couple of days. I'll go to a friend's place which has a stock Recto to A/B those together :).

Will post some video clips

the mid range is where guitar tone lives; your inverted V should cut through very nicely in a live setup.

speakers have a huge effect on the final tone.
You have to consider the volume you playing at. The amp performs differently at low volume from stage levels.
There are three components to your sound chain:
guitar
amp
speakers
given that you have a good guitar, and that you own a good amp, the third component is the one that has the greatest potential to affect your sound.
Asking if anybody else uses the same equalizer settings you use is like asking if anybody else uses the same tone stack settings, or ever plays with their pickup tone controls rolled back! :roll:

Hell, everything makes a difference to tone. All the way down to strings, picks, and even your cable. I just tried a Lava van Den Hul cable & was blown away, wrote about it in the recording section. I've also dialed in on Ultex sharp picks- I can tell a difference in tone between those & regular Tortex.

I'm currently running a similar EQ, except I have the 80HZ pushed up a bit more. Overall, a neat setting, very raw sounding!

Latest posts

Back