30 Minutes with a JP2c

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
So I got a chance to play the JP2c today, finally. Take this review as you may, as I do understand that it was with a different guitar, it was only half hour. I am a current or former owner of Mark IV/V/III/IIc+. I will use these amps as a reference as much as I can, to help other understand tonal variance.

Clean channel = This channel confused me a bit, but not in a negative way. First, this clean channel is outstanding, but it is exactly that...CLEAN. Its big, and precise, a laser etched clean tone that really sounds like its designed to allow an open palette of effects/guitars shine. I didn't crank it much, but it stays and feels very clean, surgical. Not sterile, not lifeless, but VERY clean. It reminds me of the clean on the Lonestars more than a typical mark Clean tone, though maybe not as bold. The reverb through it was beautiful. A perfect clean for playing live and loud, where you want your clean to remain clean, and allow effects and sounds to shine and breathe. Excellent.

Ch.2/3 = I will review these together as they are VERY similar, thus I played channel 3, then 2 for about 5 minutes, then went back to ch. 3 to test gain levels. The main difference I found was ch 2 sounded a TAD more open, a bit less compressed, probably due to the lower gain preset on this channel. Also, in ch 2 I was able to bring the gain down and get a cool (semi) lower gain chunky chang. Again, sort of reminded me of the lonestar special as far as the type of thick gain without being all out distortion. I know people have wondered if this can do it or not....yes it can. All in all, these channels are very capable of allowing multiple variables, or similar sounds with one favoring a gain boost or eq change that the other does not. Very intelligent.

Ch. 3 and how it fares to a real iic+, as well as my favorite Mark IV = So the argument will always be with this amp, "Its awesome, but does it sound like a IIc+?". The IIc+ has a magic quality to it, something Ive never experienced in any other amp, not even other MArks (well....not to this level!), and that is that when you are hitting and wailing on high notes, they become bigger...the thickest, juiciest high notes ever belong to the IIC+. The IIC+ is special because it is magic. So I pushed the amp some, and started, already expecting the JP2c to not have that magic in both FEEL and in TONE (I mean how could it, its 3x the circuitry and many different components........).

Does the JP2c SOUND like a IIc+? **** yes it does. Is it Identical in both feel and tone, no, but it is about 95%. It sounded so much like My real IIc+, I was shocked. And the feel was similar as well. I believe the AGE of the originals is where some of that juiciness comes in. The JP2c has a VERY VERY VERY similar feel. It sounds tight and immediate, but feels loose to play (loose as in it has some give in the feel, but not the sound!). Sheer brilliance. I hit some high notes, played a little cliffs of dover and and Some Suspended Animation for the fun of it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing....a IIc+, with all the versatility in the world. Harmonics wrapped themselves around every note, it wanted to sing, with ease, it wanted to scream when I wanted. It wanted to sustain, and endless, harmonically sonic entangled tone that I thought only the real iic+ could do was happening. This amp is breathtaking. It tracks every note I could give it, and when I went in to some paul Gilbert tunes, it was so tight and rewards, and when I hit some legato and bends, it was so fluid and smooth. It did things Only a iic+ could do, or maybe a VERY specifically dialed Mark IV. It was outstanding.

Now, some insight to my ears...I think the mark IV plays a bit easier, but die to this, can be too loose sometimes, or a bit squishy if not careful. The IV sounded a bit darker (without EQ, this can be altered!) overall, however...there is nothing fizzy or bright about the JP2c, I HATE fizz. It is bold and smooth, both forward and direct, while as well remaining at all times fluid and liquid. VERY fun and rewarding to play. It allows you to be you, and it gives what you give. Note separation and definition was top notch, absolutely. The amp is a sheer winner, and tonal phenomenon, one of the few amps Ive ever played that let me be me, and allowed everything my hands wanted to come through with world class tone and feel. This amp is not only amazing sounding, its in the top 3 best FEELING amps Ive ever played (MArk IV/IIc+/JP2c).

I went in skeptical, and came out a believer. I will have one in the coming months. Its the truth people. Could the IIc+ purist tell a difference? Sure. But I believe even they would say its the closest thing, and if you had a blind hearing, I'm not sure I could tell a difference. Its outstanding!

I feel like I went and played a IIc+. It is not identical, but it is satisfyingly close, I'm not complaining. It is NOTHING like IIc+ mode on a V (which was awesome, but not a IIc+). Coming from someone who has a IIc+, if you want a IIc+ but don't want to spend $3500+, get the JP2c. Id want the JP2C for its versatility, and I will have it. If I had the JP2c, I wouldn't need a IIc+, its that close, all things considered.

I'm also NOT saying it is better than the IV, or better than an original IIc+. The Iv has a spot in my heart, so I cant say either way. They both are similar (in a sense f that they both sound like Mark series amps), but excel at different things.

Cool review!! It's an amazing amplifier, anyone who likes Mark series amps should fall in love with it. It hard for me to find anything I don't love about it. It might be perfect! I was curious if you had plans on buying one before you played it. Or did it impress you so much you just have to have one? And what did you think about shred mode? Did you get a chance to flip that switch?

I had no desire to own one before I tried it. I thought it would be gimmicky (as in not a real sounding IIC+). I thought it was going to sound like the V, which is a killer amp, but not what they were marketing. When I plugged in I genuinely was ready for disappointment (obviously it's a mark series, so never truly disappointing, just relative to a IIC+). I had zero intention on liking it for what it was. What it is is a badass amp. Does it replace what my IV can do, no, but my IV can't do what it can do either. Similar, yet dynamically apart.

I did try the shred mode. For how I usually play, I wouldn't play it much, but when I did I wanted a way and to play some Pantera haha. It was very tight and surgical, chunky and aggressive, but somehow still warm and not full of fizz. If I played a lot of metal, I'd live here. It did add gain, but added more frequency.

Cool review! Yeah, it sure is a killer amp. I couldn't be happier with mine. I just played it a bit at really low volumes and it sounds great at very low volumes (like all Marks) but when the volumes approach noon, it really unleashes the beast within. I've used it with the band twice now and I can't stop smiling when I think about the tone I got this week. The feel is also very nice. Tight as hell but sweet and spongy at the same time. It's a great feeling amp. I've been a boogie player for over 20 years now (yes I'm getting old) and have been through A LOT of different amps, and this is the sound I've been searching for all these years with my different boogies. It's pretty much perfect for me. I still love my Mark III and IV though. Played my IV yesterday and it's also a special amp for me. I would really like to try the preamp of the JP with a simulclass poweramp though.

It's interesting to follow the discussions on some forums (including this one) about the JP2C/IIC+ comparisons. Some C+ owners are really happy with the JP and think it's very close to the original whereas others claim it's not there at all, calling it harsh or a fatter sounding Mark V. A guy that works at the store where I bought my amp owns several IIC+ (he sold a DRGX hardwood head just a few months ago). He is really happy with the JP. He bought one himself. He claims it's really close. It doesn't really matter to me much. To me (still in the honeymoon phase), it's probably the best boogie amp I have owned so far.

Nice review. Im trying awful hard to not just order one of these from Sweetwater. I have a 5153 100s that I love but the JP2C demos are killing me. I cant find one locally so I might take the blind plunge.

Awesome! I hope you enjoy, I know I did. I can't wait to get mine!

I got mine last Thursday. I was able to dial in tones I like very quickly. So far I am a very happy camper. It plays nice with my pedal board. Very pleased

Mrhiwatt

Back