Using Midi On the JP2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm happy to say I have a JP2C on order over here in the UK. It took me a while to decide to buy one but I'm glad I did in the end. I should receive mine mid July as I'm waiting for the shipment to arrive.

I own a Mark V and a 35 as well, I'm using both of them (not at the same time) with an RJM Rack Gizmo, Axe FX 2XL+ and also my RJM Mastermind GT22 midi controller. I just wondered if any of you have tried using your JP2C's with the same setup? And how easy is it to setup using the GT's editor? Is the midi on the JP2C easy to program?

Thanks guys!

Paul

I'm using mine with a Fractal Axe-FX. Programming it couldn't be easier. I set whatever features I want active on the JP-2C, make sure I'm on the correct patch on the Fractal, and flip the store switch on the JP-2C...done....

Ytsejammer777 said:
I'm using mine with a Fractal Axe-FX. Programming it couldn't be easier. I set whatever features I want active on the JP-2C, make sure I'm on the correct patch on the Fractal, and flip the store switch on the JP-2C...done....

Sounds easy enough, what's it like with scenes on the axe?

I don't currently use scenes with my fractal. I use 5-6 different presets. I have yet to experiment with scenes/MIDI.

FWIW: When I had the JP2C, I wanted to use the same midi & effects that I use for my Mark V...which is similar to Paul but consists of: T.C. Electronics g-major, Voodoo lab switcher and Ground Control foot switcher.
Like Ytsejammer said, the JP was extremely simple to program...the easiest I've ever seen. Mesa did an outstanding job with that feature. I'm hoping they start adding that to future amps.

I just built a little rig for the JP2C's first band rehearsal on Monday. I usually use a 10 space rack with Triaxis/2:90, Axe FXII for effects, Rjm effects gizmo with some pedals with the band. Big and heavy and sounds really great. But I've been wanting to downsize and simplify a bit for a while.

So I just put the axe fx in a 4 space rack with a powerconditioner. Connected it to the JP's loop and ran a midi cable from the axe to the JP. Then I ran the cable to the mfc midi controller. I didn't change the midi channel on the JP, just plugged in the midi cable. I selected preset 1 on the mfc, where I usually have a clean Triaxis sound, set the amp to the options I wanted (ch1, eq off, fx on, rev off) pushed save on the back and boom! Preset saved. So easy. I made 5 different presets in a minute. Granted, the axe fx is already programed and I just replaced the Triaxis with the JP and they both run on midi ch 1, but the process was really easy and fast. Sure, I have some experience with midi, but you really don't have to have any. It's that easy. But if you want to learn more about the possibilities of midi, just read the manuals on your effect processor, midi footswitch, amp and do some searches on the web, and you will know all you need to. It's not really that hard once you learn the basics.

I will probably run the JP on its own midi ch in the future to gain more instant access control of the switching options on the amp. But for a fast setup it's really great and easy. Getting Mario from Access Electronics to work for you was a great move. Well done Mesa!

Bullen said:
I just built a little rig for the JP2C's first band rehearsal on Monday. I usually use a 10 space rack with Triaxis/2:90, Axe FXII for effects, Rjm effects gizmo with some pedals with the band. Big and heavy and sounds really great. But I've been wanting to downsize and simplify a bit for a while.

So I just put the axe fx in a 4 space rack with a powerconditioner. Connected it to the JP's loop and ran a midi cable from the axe to the JP. Then I ran the cable to the mfc midi controller. I didn't change the midi channel on the JP, just plugged in the midi cable. I selected preset 1 on the mfc, where I usually have a clean Triaxis sound, set the amp to the options I wanted (ch1, eq off, fx on, rev off) pushed save on the back and boom! Preset saved. So easy. I made 5 different presets in a minute. Granted, the axe fx is already programed and I just replaced the Triaxis with the JP and they both run on midi ch 1, but the process was really easy and fast. Sure, I have some experience with midi, but you really don't have to have any. It's that easy. But if you want to learn more about the possibilities of midi, just read the manuals on your effect processor, midi footswitch, amp and do some searches on the web, and you will know all you need to. It's not really that hard once you learn the basics.

I will probably run the JP on its own midi ch in the future to gain more instant access control of the switching options on the amp. But for a fast setup it's really great and easy. Getting Mario from Access Electronics to work for you was a great move. Well done Mesa!

Thanks for the reply and info. It definitely sounds easy enough, have you tried it using scenes in the axe at all?

No, I haven't tried scenes yet, but it's something I want to try in the future. This was just a little build to get ready for Monday. I may incorparete the JP in my big rig someday. I have a Mesa ampswitcher so I can run up to 4 amps in my rig if I want to. But, I'm not JP and I don't have roadies so I want to keep the rig as simple and lightweight as possible but still give me access to a lot of different tones.

I'm very interested in using scenes with a fractal Fx8 Mark II.
Just gotta hook it all up.
Let me know how you make out if/when you try it.
Richb

richb said:
Richb

My plan is to start figuring out scenes this week. I'll let you know how it turns out...

Ytsejammer777 said:
richb said:
Richb

My plan is to start figuring out scenes this week. I'll let you know how it turns out...

I'm all hooked up with the fx8 Mark II and JP-2C.
I'm using Scenes and have some buttons as IA's
Works perfect!!
Richb

richb said:
Ytsejammer777 said:
richb said:
Richb

Works perfect!!
Richb

Hey Richb,

Since I've been too lazy to figure this out, mind posting a quick how-to regarding scenes/midi/JP-2C?

:)

My plan is to start figuring out scenes this week. I'll let you know how it turns out...[/quote]

Works perfect!!
Richb

Hey Richb,

Since I've been too lazy to figure this out, mind posting a quick how-to regarding scenes/midi/JP-2C?

:)

Easiest way of doing it will be on the computer. First set up your effect blocks 1-8 of what you would want to use. When you create your scene, you can chose what effects you want on or off and also x or y effects and within each scene you chose what midi message, if any, you send to your amp. This gets rid of the button tap dancing so you would only tap one button, but it would be changing multiple things between effects and channels or eq or shred option on your amp.

I get the whole Scenes concept, but thought I remember reading that you had to somehow setup CC messages or something to get the amp to change channels when changing scenes?

So if I had:

Scene 1: Drive(On)-->FX Loop-->Chorus(Off)-->Delay(Off) Desired Amp Channel: {JP2C Channel2/EQ1 Active}
Scene 2: Drive(Off)-->FX Loop-->Chorus(On)-->Delay(On) Desired Amp Channel: {JP2C Channel1/No EQ}
Scene 3: Drive(On)-->FX Loop-->Chorus(Off)-->Delay(On) Desired Amp Channel: {JP2C Channel3/EQ2 Active}

Where do I set the MIDI Program/CC to affect the channel changes?

Ytsejammer777 said:
I get the whole Scenes concept, but thought I remember reading that you had to somehow setup CC messages or something to get the amp to change channels when changing scenes?

So if I had:

Scene 1: Drive(On)-->FX Loop-->Chorus(Off)-->Delay(Off) Desired Amp Channel: {JP2C Channel2/EQ1 Active}
Scene 2: Drive(Off)-->FX Loop-->Chorus(On)-->Delay(On) Desired Amp Channel: {JP2C Channel1/No EQ}
Scene 3: Drive(On)-->FX Loop-->Chorus(Off)-->Delay(On) Desired Amp Channel: {JP2C Channel3/EQ2 Active}

Where do I set the MIDI Program/CC to affect the channel changes?
I do everything in the Fx8 editor.
To change ch's with the JP2C go to config then on the next window cluck the second tab on the left (midi PC)
Set your scene PC and your scene channel.
Richb

Also remember when setting up scenes SAVE
all changes to the unit.
Richb

Looks like this is an FX8/AX8 option, but doesn't appear to be available on the Axe-FX IIXL/MFC101..... bummer

Ytsejammer777 said:
Looks like this is an FX8/AX8 option, but doesn't appear to be available on the Axe-FX IIXL/MFC101..... bummer
You can most definitely still use the Axe-fx and a midi foot controller such as the MFC101. This is how John Petrucci does it. His set up is a bit more complex.

I'm sure it CAN be done somehow. But what i'm saying is that the action of changing the SCENE itself in the Axe-FX cannot by itself send a MIDI CC message. With the FX8/AX8, changing to Scene2 can also send a MIDI command. The AXE-FX IIXL cannot do that apparently.

To be clear.... I am using the Axe-FX/MFC101 successfully to change programs/amp channels when I change Presets(not Scenes) on the Axe......

From the Axe Wiki:
Additional scenes features on the FX8 and AX8

On the FX8 you can also use scenes:
to switch relay states
to send a MIDI Program Change and/or Control Change.
On the AX8 you can also use scenes:
to send a MIDI Program Change message.

It sounds like you might need a midi controller like the Mastermind GT from RJM Music Technology. With that you can send midi message to your axe fx for scene selection and also use a midi out from axe fx to your amp containing the midi message for the amp.

Latest posts

Back