JP-2C and Helix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheehanje

Reaction score
Is anyone using a Helix with the JP-2C?

I used mine with the Mark V, and I'm assuming I need to set all my sends/return/output to Instrument rather than line level. Does anyone have any tips on using a processor like this with 4 Cable Method?

Is seem to get a ton of noise even with the guitar turned all the way down. A hiss. The Mark V had an FX Loop level control, the JP-2C doesn't. Should I be lowering my levels on my Helix?

Thanks in advanced - only my second day with this beast of an amp so I'll be tweaking for a while.

sheehanje said:

I used mine with the Mark V, and I'm assuming I need to set all my sends/return/output to Instrument rather than line level. Does anyone have any tips on using a processor like this with 4 Cable Method?

Is seem to get a ton of noise even with the guitar turned all the way down. A hiss. The Mark V had an FX Loop level control, the JP-2C doesn't. Should I be lowering my levels on my Helix?

Thanks in advanced - only my second day with this beast of an amp so I'll be tweaking for a while.
This is the exactly reason why after I got my JP2C I noticed just how bad the effects in my POD hd500x were. I immediately got a deal on a Fractal fx8 unit and haven't looked back once to Line6. Got my FX8 hooked up and it's completely silent, effects are world class, no tone suck at all from the amp, sounds just like plugging directly into the front of the amp.
Naturally the 4cm is really noisy. Lots of cables going everywhere and naturally a ground hum usually exists. Yes you need to set your inputs to instrument level. Not sure if the helix has a ground lift switch like the pod does but try that as well. If not the extra noise is a result of cabling/ power supply/ dirty power. Make sure your entire rig is plugged into the same outlet. If you've done all that and you still get the nasty buzz or hum look into an isolation box to rid of any ground loops.

I have this set up. I noticed a lot of noise until I unplugged the USB cable from my Helix. Now it is practically silent and I don't use any noise gates.

I would definitely plug into the same outlet as that is another big reason for noise.

Check cables, one bad cable can make a big difference.

If you need any other tips let me know.

Gekkojoe said:
I have this set up. I noticed a lot of noise until I unplugged the USB cable from my Helix. Now it is practically silent and I don't use any noise gates.

I would definitely plug into the same outlet as that is another big reason for noise.

Check cables, one bad cable can make a big difference.

If you need any other tips let me know.

Still having issues with noise - it's not like a 60Hz cycle hum - more like a buzz. it's definitely in front of the amp, I cut out the FX Loop and tried all new cables. Using a Furman Power strip with EFI/RF protection - both amp and helix in same strip.

Going to try the Helix with a different amp and see if I get the same thing. Odd thing is, I can reduce the level all the way on the output to a minimum and still get the same noise - guitar unplugged from unit. Definitely something with the send jack going to the front of the amp.

Helix just got a HUGE update to support Snapshots (think Scenes) - should make it potent for live use - change settings on blocks with no delay.

Also added a MarkIV model - which while I won't be trading my JP-2C away, should give some more flexibility for late night recording with some approximated sounds.

To really get rid of the buzzing noise, I sometimes have to use an iso transformer in the audio line from the FX device to the front input of the amp.

With my MK V 25, I use a Suhr Iso Boost with the switch set to iso (left).

This is both with the Helix and my Axe FX II in 4CM. The hum buster cables didn't totally fix it, the iso transformer did.

Something like an EbTech Hum Eliminator would work, too, as long as you're feeding it with an active, buffered signal, which you would be doing coming from a FX unit like we're discussing.

Oddly enough, using Helix in 4CM with my Dr Z Maz 18, flipping the switch to "iso" is noisier.

gtrnstuff said:
To really get rid of the buzzing noise, I sometimes have to use an iso transformer in the audio line from the FX device to the front input of the amp.

With my MK V 25, I use a Suhr Iso Boost with the switch set to iso (left).

This is both with the Helix and my Axe FX II in 4CM. The hum buster cables didn't totally fix it, the iso transformer did.

Something like an EbTech Hum Eliminator would work, too, as long as you're feeding it with an active, buffered signal, which you would be doing coming from a FX unit like we're discussing.

Oddly enough, using Helix in 4CM with my Dr Z Maz 18, flipping the switch to "iso" is noisier.

Since I did the 2.0 Update the buzz is gone. I don't know if it's something they addressed, or maybe a default changed - but couldn't be happier right now. Helix is sounding great with the jp-2c and mostly playing nice with it. I say mostly because I have to use the switches on the amp to physically assign the EQ's to Channel 2 and 3 - sometimes MIDI won't change it on the fly. Other than that everything is working the way I want it to - even the looper is sounding pretty decent.

Playing a gig this Friday - should really get to test the whole rig through all it's paces - but the last rehearsal I had it worked like a charm.

Ibanezex718 said:
sheehanje said:

This is the exactly reason why after I got my JP2C I noticed just how bad the effects in my POD hd500x were. I immediately got a deal on a Fractal fx8 unit and haven't looked back once to Line6. Got my FX8 hooked up and it's completely silent, effects are world class, no tone suck at all from the amp, sounds just like plugging directly into the front of the amp.
Naturally the 4cm is really noisy. Lots of cables going everywhere and naturally a ground hum usually exists. Yes you need to set your inputs to instrument level. Not sure if the helix has a ground lift switch like the pod does but try that as well. If not the extra noise is a result of cabling/ power supply/ dirty power. Make sure your entire rig is plugged into the same outlet. If you've done all that and you still get the nasty buzz or hum look into an isolation box to rid of any ground loops.

richb said:
Ibanezex718 said:

I'm actually not having an issue anymore. Never used a HD500x - but did have an M13. While the M13 was a decent unit, I am really happy now with the Helix. My problems went away after a firmware upgrade to the unit. Just played my first gig with it and went really well. I also have the new Line6 Relay 10 wireless - and that worked like a charm too, even though it's not very ergonomically friendly with a pedal board.

I almost bought the Axe FX8 - but decided to give the helix a try - and glad I did - it really does sound great and has absolutely the easiest built in interface I've seen on any effects unit.

Latest posts

Back