Effects...What are you using?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlhjr34

Reaction score
I'm about to get my JP2C tomorrow. I'm starting over with my effects setup. I'm curious as to what the majority are using. Pedals? Multi Effects unit? Rack Gear? Which ones? I'm mostly looking at modulation effects mostly. Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Tremolo etc.

Just a carbon copy delay in the loop for me. And sometimes a wah pedal out front. The amps reverb is alright. I might pick up a reverb pedal if I find one that I like. I will say I do miss the foot switchable fx loop like the V has. I don't use midi so I might have to break down and buy a cheap midi setup. I don't know the first thing about midi though, so all that midi info in the manual might as well be in Chinese lol. I can get by with just my one pedal in the loop but if I end up with anymore I may have to do a little research. Enjoy the new amp!

Up until now I've been using a line6 pod hd500x. Since getting the jp-2c I've realized just how bad the effects are from that multi-fx when played through an amp as good as the JP-2c. I have since ordered, and should receive by next weekend a Fractal Audio FX8, purely for the fx.

I have 2 different FX set-ups I use depending on the gig situation...
#1: Boss DD-7 (delay), CH-1 (chorus) and RV-5 (reverb) all going through effects loop.
#2: TC Electronics G-Major & Ground Control midi foot switcher.

Both set-ups sound good and the midi feature on the JP works great!

Those are all helpful tips. I have looked at similar options myself. I keep my effects use to mostly modulation stuff. I thought about pedals but know they can sometimes do well in a loop, and other times not so much.

The FX8 would be ideal ( I sold my AX8 to buy this amp). It's sort of out of my budget after buying this, plus the waitling list is too slow paced for my liking. The Ax8 wait was bad enough.

The G Major 2 is intriguing. I've had one before. It sounded great but like abother person said MIDI may as well be in Chinese. I tried the Ground Control Pro/ G Major 2 combo before. I suppose it checks a lot of boxes. I'll have to bite the bullet and learn Chinese (I meant MIDI). Those G Major 2 units are less than a couple of pedals in the used area of GC's site. Pedals though are intriguing and affordable. Decisions. Decisions.

Coming from a Fender background, I always found the Boogie reverb to be lacking. A Fender Tube Reverb unit or Roland 301 Space Echo sound fantastic, but they are big and bulky and not easy to find anymore.

Lately, I found the Strymon El Capistan which does an admirable job on the tape delay sounds and decent (though not surfy) reverb. I works very well with my old reliable Voodoo Labs tremolo pedal (4-knob).

This set-up gives me the best of my old Fender reverb amp + Echoplex with a Boogie lead tone

I'm using an Axe FX II XL+ via the 4CM. I'm thinking of adding a rack wah soon, when my JP2c turns up in mid July.

I used my Axe FXII in the loop of my JP2C at bandrehearsal yesterday with great results. I'm really happy with the tone I got. The amp sounds really amazing with the volumes at 10 o'clock or higher. I have used a few pedals both in front and in the loop and so far it works great.

I will test mine with 4CM and Boss GT-10. Will also use the MIDI via GT-10.

I use most of the time the GT-10 4CM with all my Mesa amps and they sound fantastic

Using guitar into decimater g string before amp od, whirlwind phaser TC flanger. thru loop TC flashback Tc corona Chourus. I may remove od's . Perhaps sell pedals and get rack unit or get Boss Es-8 to utilize midi.

MrHiwatt

Bruceta,

How did the gt 10 work in the 4 cable method? I really want to take advantage of the Jp-2c midi and prefer different chorus for dirty and clean tones. SO i am exploring my options, G-system Gt 100
or rack mount gmajor2 and midi controller.

MrHiwatt

Mrhiwatt said:
Bruceta,

How did the gt 10 work in the 4 cable method? I really want to take advantage of the Jp-2c midi and prefer different chorus for dirty and clean tones. SO i am exploring my options, G-system Gt 100
or rack mount gmajor2 and midi controller.

MrHiwatt

MrHiwatt,
It works like charm!

Straight Midi connection between GT-10 and JP-2C changes channels, activates the Shred Mode, etc., very nicely. I always hook them up with the 4-cable method.

I prefer the GT-10 over G Major or G System because for me it is much easier to use. Almost no tone compromise, if any.

I also have some Strymon, H9, and other high end pedals I combine them with the GT.

Do you think the effects of the GT-100 are as good as individual pedals? I had a GT-8 yearrs ago it worked well with jmp-1 preamp but not my JVM I had at the time

Thanks

MrHiwatt

I'm using the Line 6 Helix in 4-cable mode.

It is nice, but I am still trying to pin down the loss of tone I am getting. I am getting an overall reduction in gain, but more importantly, a slight EQ change.

I am using 10 foot cables. The Helix and the JP2C are buffered on the outputs, so the cable length really should not be an issue. I may try "high-end" cables, but I don't really think it will make much difference.

-Randy

Mrhiwatt said:
Do you think the effects of the GT-100 are as good as individual pedals? I had a GT-8 yearrs ago it worked well with jmp-1 preamp but not my JVM I had at the time

Thanks

MrHiwatt

I think the effects are very good, comparable to individual pedals, except for OD/Dist and Preamps.

Delay, Reverb, Harmonizer, Wah, Compressor, Chorus, Flanger, etc. are excellent, and I use them all.

OD/Dist and Peamps have to be external pedal units because they do sound superior and more organic, although GT-100's are usable. That's how I perceive them.

Back