What tone settings are you dialing in on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJgo

Reaction score
I spent some time with the loop pedal to come up with an initial set of killer tones for each channel. What are you guys keying in on for your tone?

- 4x12 oversize Recto cab
- EMG 81 bridge.
- Gain & presence are pushed on channel 2.
- Gain & presence are pulled on channel 3.
- Running the 8 ohm out. Tried the 4 ohm out on 60W, but IMO the attack went a little soft.
- Normal rehearsal volume
- I'd pull the bass response in the GEQ down for gigging volume, or if I used the neck pickup, to keep it from getting muddy.

file.php

My current settings are pretty close to yours GJgo. Except, I can't run the treble and 6600 slider nearly as high. Not sure if my ears are just sensitive or the gear I use?

-2x12 Recto or 4x12 traditional cabs.
-Various Dimarziop/ups: Illuminators, Tone Zone, Crunch Lab, Air Norton...
-Presence pulled on channel 2 & 3.

JP2C%20settings_zps0dneyvkb.jpg

Right on. I do prefer a bright sound.

I'm really lovin' the rhythm tone of pushing presence & running it up to around 2:00. It gets this chunky sag that just rings in your head. Check it out!

Sorry for the noob question but can someone please explain 'sag'? I just can't picture it musically. Thanks!

Usually when people talk about sag with the JP2C and c+'s they're talking about the feel of the amp, not so much the tone. The c+ has a unique feel to the strings that earned it the term sag. It's not loose though, like a lot of solid state amps can be, but it's got just a little bit of squish that makes it a joy for a lot of us to play. It's something that needs to be experienced to really understand it.

And those are some extreme treble and presence settings :shock: My ears wouldn't be able to take that. My tubes may not be able to take that.

Alright, I spent some time today exploring the Shred modes & I found the Mark III tone I was looking for. When you turn shred on I had to pull the treble knobs back to around 1:30, but I ended up leaving the presence where it was. It does also drop some low end chunk but it's fine, just gives it a different character. It's almost like a totally different amp tonally when you hit shred- so long as you dial the knobs in to match what's going on. Shred is *almost* too much with active pickups really hot on the strings! The amount of gain in this amp is insane.

I'm also dialing in GEQ1 for rhythm & GEQ2 for lead tones. I like how that is working. To me channels 2 & 3 have a different character for different styles of music, so you can set those up, and still have the 2 GEQs for rhythm & lead cuts to apply to either channel. Pretty freakin' versatile.

So I watched this video of a guy with his IIC+ where he had his GEQ inverted in a frowny-face, and his tone was KILLER. For fun I tried that on my JP today. You should really try this out.

Holy crap, in channel 1, INSANE BUTTERY TONE. Channels 2 & 3 I'd want to hear what it sounds like recorded but it's different than what you're used to, and yet legit.

Edit- today I was listening to some tracks on Appetite for Destruction, and the frowny face setup really reminds me of the tome on that album..

Latest posts

Back