It's here

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_5699.JPG

Serial number 290, looks like.

So far, it's great. I can tell what people mean by "big sound".

Cleans are great, channel three with gain and presence pulled and in shred mode does indeed sound like a Mark III to my ears.

I love this thing already.

I think I'm pretty much going to sell all of my other amps at this point, except the V:25 for gigging and one of the rectifiers.

Done with my Mark III now, I'm pretty sure.

Congratulations! I am very excited about this amp the feature set makes it my dream boogie!
Thanks for posting some clips hope your having fun! Somewhere in my "nearish" future......

Features aside, tell us about that tone!! How do you think it compares to the mark v lead channel? Or a c+ lead channel? Do you think it's just the output transformer that's making the jp2c sound or does it sound like mesa did some more tweaking? Again, features aside, would you think it's fair to say that the mark v is like a simul 2c+ and the jp2c is like a 60/100 c+? Or is there something different, or special, going on that puts the JP in a different league of tone? :p I wish I could play one, lol. Congrats!!

SamuelJ86 said:
Features aside, tell us about that tone!! How do you think it compares to the mark v lead channel? Or a c+ lead channel? Do you think it's just the output transformer that's making the jp2c sound or does it sound like mesa did some more tweaking? Again, features aside, would you think it's fair to say that the mark v is like a simul 2c+ and the jp2c is like a 60/100 c+? Or is there something different, or special, going on that puts the JP in a different league of tone? :p I wish I could play one, lol. Congrats!!

The Mark V is nothing like a 2C+, especially one with simul.

OP, congrats and thanks for the clips!

SamuelJ86 said:

First off, it's not the output transfomer that is special about the C+, it's the power transformer. And if the guy does not have a Mark V, Simul C+ and 60/100 C+ to directly compare it to, how can you get an honest opinion? I'm glad that he likes what he hears, but there is no way that he can give a truthful response to that question. :?: Clips and videos only tell part of the story, so comparing what you hear on the computer versus what you hear in front of you does not jive. That's why a C+ and a Mark III can sound so much alike on video clips and feel so much different when you actually play them.

JOEY B. said:
SamuelJ86 said:

First off, it's not the output transfomer that is special about the C+, it's the power transformer. And if the guy does not have a Mark V, Simul C+ and 60/100 C+ to directly compare it to, how can you get an honest opinion? I'm glad that he likes what he hears, but there is no way that he can give a truthful response to that question. :?: Clips and videos only tell part of the story, so comparing what you hear on the computer versus what you hear in front of you does not jive. That's why a C+ and a Mark III can sound so much alike on video clips and feel so much different when you actually play them.

I'm going to defer to Joey about this, because I've never played any of the classic C+ amplifiers.

I have owned a Mark V, a simulclass Mark III, and a Mark V:25. I've owned several 100 watt rectos and a few other Mesas as well.

All I can tell you is that I've decided to sell all of my other amps based on having the JP-2C for a day. I may buy another one of these later in the year if possible.

The feel is amazing, lead playing actually feels like the strings are looser or something. This feels like what the Mark III, Mark V, and Mark V:25 were trying for but failing to attain.

I have so much going on in my head right now I don't think I can really articulate any of this well. I kept thinking "So that's what all the fuss about the C+ was about."

I feel like I own a better C+ now than anything that was available in the past. Dedicated clean, crunch, and lead channels with phenomenal mojo on each one, and Shred mode have never been available before.

I have a Road King II, Tremoverb, Recto Reborn, Mark III, Rectoverb 25, and a Mark V:25. They're all for sale. This is what I was looking for. I mean it.

I loaded the JP-2C into an imbuya headshell tonight and took a few pictures along the way.

First off, inside the JP-2C's enclosure is a plate that shows the types of tubes at various positions in the amp. The model lists is "Mark II Super C+". Pretty neat.

Cloud2go%20Mar%2024,%202016,%2011%3A03%20PM.jpg

Secondly, here's the JP-2C sitting next to the Mark III. The JP-2C chassis is thicker than the Mark III, so the power transformer is sitting a little higher on the JP-2C (on the left), but the JP-2C's transformer definitely dwarfs the one on the Mark III.

Cloud2go%20Mar%2024,%202016,%2011%3A04%20PM.jpg

Lastly, here's the final result. I may go ahead and get a custom enclosure made later in the year instead, this was a tricky fit:

Cloud2go%20Mar%2024,%202016,%2011%3A03%20PM.jpg

dlpasco said:
JOEY B. said:
SamuelJ86 said:

I'm going to defer to Joey about this, because I've never played any of the classic C+ amplifiers.

I have owned a Mark V, a simulclass Mark III, and a Mark V:25. I've owned several 100 watt rectos and a few other Mesas as well.

All I can tell you is that I've decided to sell all of my other amps based on having the JP-2C for a day. I may buy another one of these later in the year if possible.

The feel is amazing, lead playing actually feels like the strings are looser or something. This feels like what the Mark III, Mark V, and Mark V:25 were trying for but failing to attain.

I have so much going on in my head right now I don't think I can really articulate any of this well. I kept thinking "So that's what all the fuss about the C+ was about."

I feel like I own a better C+ now than anything that was available in the past. Dedicated clean, crunch, and lead channels with phenomenal mojo on each one, and Shred mode have never been available before.

I have a Road King II, Tremoverb, Recto Reborn, Mark III, Rectoverb 25, and a Mark V:25. They're all for sale. This is what I was looking for. I mean it.

How about a picture of the actual board?

Power transformer, sorry. :shock: And it looks like the OP had a mark v. So it would stand to reason he has an opinion. And if he has an opinion on the c+, that would be nice to hear too. I guess I'm not communicating well enough for Joey. What I'm trying to ask is if there is something special about the jp2c or if it's got something the mark v doesn't, in terms of tone. And let me tell you why. :p. Mesa says that the V is the real deal c+. And that I should feel good and proud about it. That I should chuckle to myself when I see c+ snobs (and maybe jp2c snobs too :lol:) because the V has their amplifier, plus all those modes and options. So is the jp2c just an extra graphic eq, bigger pt(60/100), midi, and a shred mode away from the mark v's c+ mode? Or does it have its own thing going in terms of tone? Maybe a more special thing. The OP sold a mark V, so what's this thing got that the v doesn't, tone wise, and in his experienced opinion. Can he answer that honestly joe :roll:

SamuelJ86 said:
The OP sold a mark V, so what's this thing got that the v doesn't, tone wise, and in his experienced opinion. Can he answer that honestly joe :roll:

When he has had a Mark V and the JP-2C side by side for about a year, and has played both equally, then come back and give an honest opinion. Otherwise, make your choice and move on. No harm, no foul.

SamuelJ86 said:
Power transformer, sorry. :shock: And it looks like the OP had a mark v. So it would stand to reason he has an opinion. And if he has an opinion on the c+, that would be nice to hear too. I guess I'm not communicating well enough for Joey. What I'm trying to ask is if there is something special about the jp2c or if it's got something the mark v doesn't, in terms of tone. And let me tell you why. :p. Mesa says that the V is the real deal c+. And that I should feel good and proud about it. That I should chuckle to myself when I see c+ snobs (and maybe jp2c snobs too :lol:) because the V has their amplifier, plus all those modes and options. So is the jp2c just an extra graphic eq, bigger pt(60/100), midi, and a shred mode away from the mark v's c+ mode? Or does it have its own thing going in terms of tone? Maybe a more special thing. The OP sold a mark V, so what's this thing got that the v doesn't, tone wise, and in his experienced opinion. Can he answer that honestly joe :roll:

If Mesa released the JP-2C as the Mark Six, and just had the JP-2C's clean channel and two lead channels and 4 6L6s and one eq and NOTHING ELSE (no shred, midi, extra eq, etc) I would buy it in a heartbeat over the Mark V.

The Mark V's C+ mode is a pale imitation of the JP-2C's channel 2, let alone 3, which can have higher gain. I prefer the JP-2C's clean over any of the Clean, Fat, or Tweed modes offered on the Mark V's clean channel.

Channel 2 on the Mark V was useless to me. Edge mode was poor without EL34s, Crunch was too tame (this was improved on the Mark V:25), and I never really got into Mark I mode.

I never really felt any love for rhythm playing with any of the modes for Channel 3 on the Mark V compared to the Mark III, and I also never got too excited about lead playing on the Mark V OR the Mark III. Honestly, Vintage mode on the dual rectifier felt like a better liquid lead to me than anything on the Mark III or V.

Everything makes more sense with the JP-2C. The clean is the right clean, I don't want any other modes for the clean channel, this is *lovely* (if you look around, you'll see posts on these forums about me struggling to find a Mesa with a clean channel I really liked). Rhythm playing feels full, percussive, edgy, and roaring. Lead playing is easy and singing.

If these were all things people liked about the IIC+, I can see what all the fuss was about.

JOEY B. said:
SamuelJ86 said:
The OP sold a mark V, so what's this thing got that the v doesn't, tone wise, and in his experienced opinion. Can he answer that honestly joe :roll:

When he has had a Mark V and the JP-2C side by side for about a year, and has played both equally, then come back and give an honest opinion. Otherwise, make your choice and move on. No harm, no foul.

Um. I don't ever want a Mark V again. That's why I got rid of it after a couple of years of fighting it. The JP-2C feels like the answer to what the Mark V was trying to be the whole time.

dlpasco said:
JOEY B. said:
SamuelJ86 said:

Howdy!

Would you say it has a more "open" or less compressed sound compared to a Mark V? Is that what you mean by "looser" feeling strings? I love my Mark V but when I play live it's always my Road King II because it's a bit more open...which to me means less compressed and a bit more "organic" sounding....and yes this gives this strings a bit more of a "loose" feel, which is why I ask.

It would be nice to have a Mark series amp that's a bit more raw and less compressed. If that is what you're getting at than I'm a bit more optimistic about trying this amp (I don't know why, I was just preparing to be disappointed).

dlpasco said:
SamuelJ86 said:

If Mesa released the JP-2C as the Mark Six, and just had the JP-2C's clean channel and two lead channels and 4 6L6s and one eq and NOTHING ELSE (no shred, midi, extra eq, etc) I would buy it in a heartbeat over the Mark V.

The Mark V's C+ mode is a pale imitation of the JP-2C's channel 2, let alone 3, which can have higher gain. I prefer the JP-2C's clean over any of the Clean, Fat, or Tweed modes offered on the Mark V's clean channel.

Channel 2 on the Mark V was useless to me. Edge mode was poor without EL34s, Crunch was too tame (this was improved on the Mark V:25), and I never really got into Mark I mode.

I never really felt any love for rhythm playing with any of the modes for Channel 3 on the Mark V compared to the Mark III, and I also never got too excited about lead playing on the Mark V OR the Mark III. Honestly, Vintage mode on the dual rectifier felt like a better liquid lead to me than anything on the Mark III or V.

Everything makes more sense with the JP-2C. The clean is the right clean, I don't want any other modes for the clean channel, this is *lovely* (if you look around, you'll see posts on these forums about me struggling to find a Mesa with a clean channel I really liked). Rhythm playing feels full, percussive, edgy, and roaring. Lead playing is easy and singing.

If these were all things people liked about the IIC+, I can see what all the fuss was about.

Hmmm...that statement sort of answers my previous question and makes me even more eager to try the JP-2C.

Edit: just noticed what you said about this clean channel. What is it you didn't like about the Mark V, or maybe rather, what is it you prefer about the clean of the JP-2C? Sorry for the inquiries, just the price one must pay to be one of the first (and publicize it :lol: )

I'm definatly a little green with envy. :mrgreen: And I love the wicker on the head. I anxious to hear how many agree with you. I hope I can play one soon. Thanks for the opinion! Even though Joey didn't think you could have one. lol :lol:

Back