Who else is planning on swapping tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've been borrowing a friends Mark 25 in anticipation of getting my JP2C. The 25 sounds very brittle and sterile which leads me to think that if I swapped tubes to new old stock tubes I could get a sweeter sound. I have a matched quad of winged 6L6 tubes and new old stock preamp tubes just waiting for my new amp. Knowing I will void the warranty doesn't bother me as I can probably sell the amp without too much of a loss if I don't like it.

I'll give it a go before dropping in new tubes. I have specific tubes I like with my Mesa's, but I'm also a advocate of the "If you love how it sounds already, don't f%#* with it" mentality... :mrgreen:

If the Mark V25 you are playing sounds "very brittle and sterile" you need to replace the tubes NOW. Not with NOS, just normal Mesa replacements. That amp is far from brittle and sterile with stock tubes that aren't worn out.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
If the Mark V25 you are playing sounds "very brittle and sterile" you need to replace the tubes NOW. Not with NOS, just normal Mesa replacements. That amp is far from brittle and sterile with stock tubes that aren't worn out.

I believe it could be a matter of perspective. If you're coming from the world of big-tube vintage Marks, a modern EL84 Mark is likely to sound brittle and sterile to you. Vintage Mesas have more warmth and character than the modern ones, and EL84 amps tend to sound thinner or smaller when compared to their big brothers.

Purely based on the net samples so far, the JP2C seems to sound somewhat similar to modern Mesas, i.e. somewhat colder and more sterile than vintage Mesas. If modern tubes are the culprit, NOS tubes could be the perfect answer that helps you capture the vintage IIc+ feel.

The OP said the V25 was brittle and sterile, but that he was already planning new tubes for the JP2C that he didn't even have yet. Nothing wrong with planning out new tubes for the new amp, although I always get a bit of amusement when I read about someone wanting to change something they haven't tried yet, but...

I've had my V25 for well over a year now and never once thought it was brittle or sterile. I've played it with at least 5 types of speakers, different guitars, pedals... I've seen tons of owners or guys who've tried them give reviews here and at The Gear Page, and never once heard "brittle and sterile." But, I also just got a Mark V and I love both of these amps! So actually you may be right. I've heard about 2000 times in this forum how much better the old ones are than these, and I LOVE these two amps. So yeah, it must be perspective. :mrgreen:

If I buy the JP-2C the first thing I'm gonna do is put in nos chinese 12ax7's and Groove Tubes 6L6 R's. I've been using these tubes in my c+ since the early 90's. There's a sweetness to the chinese 12ax7's that I like. I also like feel of the Groove Tubes. Nice warm, round tone.

Silverwulf said:
I'll give it a go before dropping in new tubes. I have specific tubes I like with my Mesa's, but I'm also a advocate of the "If you love how it sounds already, don't f%#* with it" mentality... :mrgreen:

Well, that lasted maybe an hour before the stock tubes came out for me... :mrgreen:

Quote:
I got to try one today and didn't care for it. Overdrive Was too "grainy" or a little "ratty" for my taste. Plus I felt it was difficult to dial in medium to lower gain dirt that was pleasing. It seemed more like an all or nothing amp distortion wise. Was actually quite relieved that my MKV is in no danger of being replaced...

This is the way I would describe JJ preamp tubes, which come as stock in mesa amps. The perfect sound seems like it is a small gain knob twist away. Yet the smallest turn gets it into too much gain (or too little the other way). And no Mesa amp can withstand the avalanche of gain that comes in. Swap out the preamp tubes for chinese, problem solved. Chinese preamp tubes seems like one huge sweet spot all over the dial in comparison to jjs.

It's good to see we're not alone.

Silverwulf said:
Silverwulf said:

Well, that lasted maybe an hour before the stock tubes came out for me... :mrgreen:
If you don't mind me asking, did you replace power , preamp or both . What did you replace them with ? Last question did you find the replacements to be an improvement? Thanks

Markedman said:
Quote:
I got to try one today and didn't care for it. Overdrive Was too "grainy" or a little "ratty" for my taste. Plus I felt it was difficult to dial in medium to lower gain dirt that was pleasing. It seemed more like an all or nothing amp distortion wise. Was actually quite relieved that my MKV is in no danger of being replaced...

This is the way I would describe JJ preamp tubes, which come as stock in mesa amps. The perfect sound seems like it is a small gain knob twist away. Yet the smallest turn gets it into too much gain (or too little the other way). And no Mesa amp can withstand the avalanche of gain that comes in. Swap out the preamp tubes for chinese, problem solved. Chinese preamp tubes seems like one huge sweet spot all over the dial in comparison to jjs.

Any idea which specific preamp tubes this person was referring to?

MY JP2C will be back from Mesa Hollywood on Tuesday with the loop updated. Going to install Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's along with Ruby Chinese HG's. This tube configuration just kills in my IIC+!

I don't think the Mark Five:25 is brittle and sterile at all.

I feel its tone very pleasant and alive.

I think brittle is the TA-30.

Markedman said:
Quote:

Everybody talk about chines tubes are best for Mark iic+ and mesa in general, but nobody says which brand of Chinese preamp tubes and where they can be found? plus for v5 and v1 what preamp brand and model are the best modern tubes for that? please don't talk about NOS preamp tubes and power tubes.

Grimsley Rose said:
MY JP2C will be back from Mesa Hollywood on Tuesday with the loop updated. Going to install Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's along with Ruby Chinese HG's. This tube configuration just kills in my IIC+!

+1

I haven't changed my powertubes yet, I kinda like the 440's. But I did install a full set of Ruby ac5 (chinese shuguang) HG preamp tubes in my JP. Pretty big difference! Especially in clarity and low end response and those annoying wha-like frequencies are gone. I also like electroharmonix (used to be Mesa stock preamp tubes before the JJ) in my Mesas. I installed a full set of these in my Mark IV last weekend. Replacing the old mesa Russian 2 labelled electroharmonix that was in there. The IV sounds great with these tubes. My old Mark V sounded it's best with these tubes also. I did try a few of my old Russian 2 tubes in the JP. Sounded good, but the tubes were old and tired so I had to get some new ones. I've heard great things about the Ruby ac5 so I deciderad to try some and so far I really like these tubes in the JP.

I have said it before and I will say it again: Get those JJ preamp tubes out of there!!!

I couldn't be bothered with replacing tubes yesterday. I fired the amp up when I got home and played it for a half hour and let it cool down, then I threw in quad of matched winged C tubes matched for Mesa that I had been saving specifically for the JP2C. I played it for a half hour with the replacement tubes and then I took them out and threw the Mesa tubes back in, I let it warm up played it for half a minute or less before I let it cool down so I could throw the Russian tubes back in. I haven't messed with the preamp tubes yet. Was it a huge change changing power tubes? Yes, massive! Mesa tubes were brittle with very low power and fizzy sounding compared to the winged C tubes.

If the JP2C really is what mesa says it is (a reissue), then those 440's are not doing the amp any favors. The originals were built around the best tubes available at the time and today's tubes generally suck. I could not belive the difference 415's made in mine. I knew it would help but it made the amp drastically better.

It's about time that thing showed up for you! Enjoy it! :mrgreen:

maybe you need to look at some other components of the signal chain.
What speaker(s) are you playing through, for instance? What type of guitar?
I have been playing mesas for decades and never encountered one yet that sounded "brittle" or "sterile" in my opinion... but after all, this is a HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE thing.
you should be able to set that amp to sound good even if the output tubes are practically worn out.

In the video we're making I will include the tube swapping so everyone can have a reference as to what happens when you actually put good tubes in verses the crap Mesa puts in the amp.

I bought two pairs of Mesa labeled STR-415 tubes. Are these safe to use in the amp because they're already matched by Mesa?

Also, how are the tube pairs handled by the amp? Are they AABB or ABBA? if you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Back