Mesa/Boogie JP-2C Mark IIC+ Amplifier Review by Sweetwater

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lord, I can't believe they did that demo with all the controls at noon. The shred demo sounded flubby as hell.

If that guy really owned a IIC+ back in the day, did he ever *play* it?

dlpasco said:
Good lord, I can't believe they did that demo with all the controls at noon. The shred demo sounded flubby as hell.

If that guy really owned a IIC+ back in the day, did he ever *play* it?

Agreed, he could have done a better job of dialing it in.

Review, demo, sales pitch, whatever...mixed feelings about this one.

To be honest, I actually like some of what I'm hearing here. There's something about those high frequencies that resembles the special character of my IIc+...but at the same time, the overall character of this new amp seems a touch more 'modern', somehow.

But yes...the demo would have been heckuva lot more useful if they had spent some time dialing it in.

Great video. I watched it a few times and I'm now more excited about this amp than ever. When I played the Mark V25 at my local dealer last week I found that it sounded best with all the knobs at noon, except the master, which in this video is at noon. I'll probably find myself shaping the the sound less with the rotary knobs than with the GEQ's anyway. The pull gain, pull presence and shred switch actually made a difference and a good difference.

Markedman said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVwseGnwUCU#t=244

New video. Amp is in stock at Hollywood Mesa.

(I've been trying to start a new thread about the Hollywood demo, but I kept getting a SQL error message.:cry: Was going to post the link in this thread instead, but you beat me to it.)

Best demo of the amp so far. Not great, but definitely better than the weird, dark tone Petrucci had in his demo, or Sweetwater's "Let's set up the controls like it's a Marshall." clip posted above. :roll:

All IMHO of course. 8)

Afraid I have to side with barryswanson on this one. Total "angry bee trapped in a glass tube" sound, esp. the more scooped (EQ2) sound. Buzzy cheap-*** dirt box emulation. I have no use for that but at least it is there for those who think it's a great sound.

...well, it seems by now that this is a fairly versatile amp, it can cover a lot ground and go from turd to diamonds. And hopefully everything in between.

LesPaul70 said:
Afraid I have to side with barryswanson on this one. Total "angry bee trapped in a glass tube" sound, esp. the more scooped (EQ2) sound. Buzzy cheap-*** dirt box emulation. I have no use for that but at least it is there for those who think it's a great sound.

...well, it seems by now that this is a fairly versatile amp, it can cover a lot ground and go from turd to diamonds. And hopefully everything in between.
+1 That video didn't nothing for me . I'm not wanting to watch any more demo videos of the JP 2C , I'd rather just wait until Thursday (according to the tracking number info) and just see for myself. As said in the above quote, some are loving what they've heard in the djent type demos but I have zero use for the tone demonstrated in that last video , to me it sounds like ....... well I'll just stop there , to each his own . To my ears the JP video I liked more than this last one by far . And the one with the flying V . I'm a mark amp fan, most of what I've seen so far doesn't seem to display that mark amp tone (imho). But in 3 - 4 days I'll know if it will work out for me, Thursday can't come quick enough.

I'm sure the Hollywood demo sounded good when he was playing it live. It just didn't come across in the recording. I don't know the first thing about how to record guitars but I do know that a room mic helps me hear what an amp really sounds like. I find that I enjoy a lot of demos on YouTube where the person just uses the mic on the camcorder. To me anyways, it just sounds more like the amp. Rob Chapman usually blends a room mic with another on the speaker and always gets good results. A little room to breath does wonders. I think that's what's missing in the Hollywood demo. Just my opinion. As for the sweet water demo, it was ok, for a sweet water demo. That guy, Mitch, is just kinda awkward. There seems to always be a weird tension with him... But seems really nice too, and does a real professional job so good on him. How bout that 7 string in the Hollywood demo!? I don't own or usually even like the looks of 7 stringers but ****, that was a stunner.

Latest posts

Back