video of the jp2c

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like my Mark V.

That is a lesson in how Mesa listen to their customers. That amp has all the things I've seen recently discussed on this board. 2 sets of sliders. For the preset vs sliders thread. 2 channels doing the same thing so you can get a very different lead sound to the chugga chugga sound. Big transformer...

It does sound phenomenal on that vid though. Gonna have to play one in person.

I love it. I'm really looking forward to getting one.

It certainly sounds like a Mark V, because it's in the same family. Subjectively, I thought it sounded a lot heavier, and the different "volume" ranges John mentioned are really exciting. The big Mark V has it's volume set to 7.75 or so. I suspect the Mark V:25 has one slightly higher.

On my Mark III I'm usually around 7.5 for regular stuff but definitely crank it up to 9 or so depending on what I'm playing. I'm VERY excited that the JP-2C will hit that level on channel 3.

I'm really excited for this amp, I think it looks like it's delivering on it's promises. The transformer was apparently reversed engineered from an original IIC+, it looks like they're trying really hard to duplicate the IIC+ (John's anyway) experience as accurately as possible.

I started thinking about the midi possibilities on the way home today. I'm wondering how well it will play with the Boss ES-8 switcher.

Finally, I'm still eager to hear shred mode in person. I love my Mark III and I hope that it comes close to it (with the transformer, perhaps it will surpass it).

-Daniel

I don"t get the part where he talks about the preset levels of gain. How can it be preset and then be adjustable by the pot?

barryswanson said:
I don"t get the part where he talks about the preset levels of gain. How can it be preset and then be adjustable by the pot?

On the Mark II and III there were a few different controls for setting how loud the amp was and how much gain it had. The basic controls looked like this (I may have Bass and Mid switched here)

Volume, Treble, Bass, Mid, Master Volume, Lead Drive, Lead Volume

On the clean channel:

"Volume" determined how much gain the clean channel had.
"Master volume" determined how loud the amp was.

On the lead channel:

"Volume" has a massive impact on how much gain the amp had.
"Lead drive" was a second gain stage.
"Master Volume" and "Lead Volume" were used together to determine how loud the amp was (basically the amp would be at the lowest of the two settings).

Treble also impacted the gain of both the clean and lead channel.

----

So, there is no "Volume" control on the Mark V, the Mark V:25, Mark V:35, or the JP-2C. Instead, a preset value is used. The gain knob is basically the Lead Drive knob from the Marks II and III.

So, for the first gain stage, since there's no "volume" knob setting the pre-gain stage volume, it's hard coded:

On the Mark V, it's set to about 7.75.
On the Mark V:25, to my ears, it's a little higher, high is why the amp is such a fire breather compared to it's big brother (says me, anyway).
(I don't know what it is set to on the V:35)

Apparently, on the JP-2C, it ranges from 7.75ish to the high 9 range depending on the channel and whether or not the gain control is pulled. THIS IS AWESOME.

After that, the regular gain ("lead drive") knob on channels 2 and 3 sets the final gain amount for the amp.

This may sound clear as mud but the bottom line is, this is badass. Totally badass.

I understand it is his signature amp, but I would like to hear more than an amp that just makes the JP tones.
I am sure that Petaluma will publish follow up videos exploring other areas, hopefully it will not take too long

The JP looks and sounds really awesome! I love the midi functionality on the back great new addition. I'm sure the guys at Boogie will now add this to any future amps depending on what they are.

I've not long bought a Mark V 35 Combo which is a fantastic little amp. I'd definitely be interested in trying the JP-2C. I'd consider selling my Rectoverb 25 to get one but then would I want 2 amps that are similar? Probably not.

very surprised Mesa present it as a MArkIIc , tones seems closer to the V on the video..

why buying a dearer MARK 5 ? don't get it

BlackBoxy said:
very surprised Mesa present it as a MArkIIc , tones seems closer to the V on the video..

why buying a dearer MARK 5 ? don't get it

Its because it basically is a Mk IIc+.. infact its two of them in one box with midi and a cab clone .. I think the price is perfectly reasonable for what it is.

I liked my Mark IV until I played a mark lll. Gobs of useable gain before compression, that"s the difference. I played a Mark V and didn't like the feel of that amp either. When I recently tried the Mark25 I was more than impressed with open tone it had, it could breathe fire like my Mark lll but the whole 25 watt thing meant it probably would have let me down when it mattered most. (Old Peavey nightmares from my youth.) I have a good feeling about this amp from the size of the transformer to the 2XGEQ to the simplicity of design. Best Amp Ever in initial features, game changer, there's nothing like it on the market.

gpuma said:
I understand it is his signature amp, but I would like to hear more than an amp that just makes the JP tones.
I am sure that Petaluma will publish follow up videos exploring other areas, hopefully it will not take too long
I can dial in my C+ to sound fairly close to the lead tone in demo video. However thats not the tone I use, I set it to sound more Santana ish . My assumption is I should be able to get that tone from the JP 2C. But gpuma makes a great point . Would love to hear what other tones this amp is capable of . What if It won't replacate the tone I use like a vintage C+ . As its been pointed out in some of the threads about the JP 2C , This is JP'S idea of what a C+ should sound like. I guess the only reason I'm pondering this, I was going to order one Monday morning. Maybe I'm caught up in the hype but I also like the way this amp gives you the option of switching between the 3 channels which is much more live performance friendly. Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing. Guess I'll sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning. If I decide to go for it I don't want to wait forever for it to show up and I suspect Monday morning will be very busy at Mesa after the release of the demo video.

EDIT: I was unaware the amp must be ordered from a authorized dealer and not the factory. Guess I'm just living in the past

Nicklotsaguitars said:
Sounds like my Mark V.

That is a lesson in how Mesa listen to their customers. That amp has all the things I've seen recently discussed on this board. 2 sets of sliders. For the preset vs sliders thread. 2 channels doing the same thing so you can get a very different lead sound to the chugga chugga sound. Big transformer...

It does sound phenomenal on that vid though. Gonna have to play one in person.
It seems to me that mesa is only listening to JP with regards to this amp, not their costomers. it always seemed to me that mesa never wanted to reissue the 2c+. They bragged about how the circuitry was the same in the Mark v c+ mode. So for a while it looked to me like that was them putting their foot down saying, no reissue, this is just as good. But now they're using words like "even more legitimate" in describing this new JP model. What the heck does that mean? Does that mean it sounds more like a 2c+ than the V's? They promised the V's were the real deal c+ circuit, now it seems like theyre saying there's an even realer deal c+, that's actually legitimate, as if the V's are not. Sorry to sound negative on what is going to be an amazing amp but what's next mesa? A real reissue that's even more legitimate than this one?

Good point. The only thing Mesa said that was different on the V apparently is the coupling capacitor. But you do make a good point what else is different ? I wish some one would do a sticky on how to change that coupling cap from the none EQ to the EQ version on the V :mrgreen:

barryswanson said:
Good point. The only thing Mesa said that was different on the V apparently is the coupling capacitor. But you do make a good point what else is different ? I wish some one would do a sticky on how to change that coupling cap from the none EQ to the EQ version on the V :mrgreen:

Well, for one thing the IIC+ mode on the Mark V is not available on the clean channel.

It seems to me that mesa is only listening to JP with regards to this amp, not their costomers. it always seemed to me that mesa never wanted to reissue the 2c+. They bragged about how the circuitry was the same in the Mark v c+ mode. So for a while it looked to me like that was them putting their foot down saying, no reissue, this is just as good. But now they're using words like "even more legitimate" in describing this new JP model. What the heck does that mean? Does that mean it sounds more like a 2c+ than the V's? They promised the V's were the real deal c+ circuit, now it seems like theyre saying there's an even realer deal c+, that's actually legitimate, as if the V's are not. Sorry to sound negative on what is going to be an amazing amp but what's next mesa? A real reissue that's even more legitimate than this one?
Bottom line - JP will sound like JP through a twin reverb/telecaster set up, you'll sound like you through the JP2C. I'd rather have JP's input than every Dick and Harry's input. I can not wait to get my fingers on one of these beast. The Mark25 was nothing like the Mark V or IV. The Mark25 can breathe fire and I expect the JP2C will have that ability. The twin GEQ's and simplicity of design along with that monster transformer, YMMV

APEMAN said:
dlpasco said:
barryswanson said:
On the Mark V, it's set to about 7.75.
On the Mark V:25, to my ears, it's a little higher, high is why the amp is such a fire breather compared to it's big brother (says me, anyway).
(I don't know what it is set to on the V:35)

Apparently, on the JP-2C, it ranges from 7.75ish to the high 9 range depending on the channel and whether or not the gain control is pulled. THIS IS AWESOME.

Hey there, of course I don't want to start another "pre-500" threat :D but if you do the math from the schematics, the big daddy V is set to 6.0 (pot ratio is at 60%). Even if the change to EHX pre tubes made this my absolute dream amp... the change is very easy to be done and if I open her up I will shurly try it out by setting the volume to 7.75 ;)

Would be interesting to know the value of the mini markv ... can someone please have a quick look?

Thanks in advance :D

Please be certain to share how you go about this. I'm hoping that in place of that pot Mesa is using a simple voltage divider so I could put a (trimmer) pot back in LOL.

Dom

APEMAN said:
On the IIC+ mesa used a 1Meg pot, on the V they used 4 resistors R22 to R25. Two in a row forming a voltage divider with 386k and 570k (in sum 956k with a ratio of 386k/(386+570)k=0.5962) which makes 6.0 on a linear scale from 0 to 10.
Your maths are true but your linear scale assumption is wrong.
The volume pot on a IIC+ is a log taper. So to obtain the 0.6 voltage divider ratio you would have to set a 1Meg log pot to approx. 0.8 of a turn.

Latest posts

Back