JP2c not enough gain/thin sound?

Discussion area for the new (and first) Signature Model from Mesa Engineering.

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

tjt73
Bottle Rocket

Re: JP2c not enough gain/thin sound?

Post by tjt73 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 pm

Unplug everything ,check all your cables then just hook up straight in with nothing but the guitar, head and cabinet. Nothing in the effects loop. Nothing in between the guitar and the amp. If it's not tubes or a bad cable or connection ,then I'm out of easy ideas for what it could be. That would only leave some other internal issue and might need to be looked at by an amp tech.
TJ

mace
Mark III

Post by mace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:45 am

This is embarrassing but I had a similar issue for a couple days. Low gain, just lost the tone. I wondered what was going on with amp. Ended up my volume pedal was slightly cocked and lowering the input signal.

Seems your issue is different, though, since you have a V:25 to compare it to (assuming identical signal paths). Maybe the amp itself has an issue. It may be time to contact Mesa.
Rankings: #1 Mark V head, #2a TC50 combo, #2b Rectoverb 25 head

Gentso
Bottle Rocket

Post by Gentso » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm

When I first got the JP2C I was thinking the same thing. Ultimately it came down to EQ and volume. At low volume I need shred mode to get a good tone. Also at low volume I find myself turning the EQ knobs more, particularly treble, presence, and the low/high EQ sliders.

l1nk3
Bottle Rocket

Post by l1nk3 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm

I just had an interesting revelation... It appears that the gain knob on channel 1 affects the gain on channel 2 and 3. Do any of you know if this is intended?

tjt73
Bottle Rocket

Post by tjt73 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:30 am

No, the gain on channel 1 should not affect the other two channels.
TJ

l1nk3
Bottle Rocket

Post by l1nk3 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:23 am

I've already sent the amp back in for repair, although it's a shame I didn't realize that the amp had this issue when I initially purchased... Oh well :x When I get the amp back I'll update this thread with new sound clips using the same settings just for others who may be interested in the sound.