What do you prefer? Shred vs od or nothing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia76

Reaction score
Hello
Just curious
Do you use shred mode for your high gain tones?
Or an OD pedal?
Or just the amp itself?

I find that I need either an OD or Shred engaged to have a percussive tone.
Maybe Petrucci has a much stronger pick attack....

I just go with the amps gain alone, usually channel 2 pulled. I do run hotter pups in all my guitars tho and I’m sure that makes a difference.

Depends. Lately more shred than not. I've been running the treble low, 11 o'clock, presence pushed in but high, like 3-4 o'clock and that gets the gain up. Ch2 gain at 10-11 o'clock pushed, ch3 at 4 o'clock pushed, master at 10 o'clock, (if you can hear me 'it's too loud'") I'd prefer the master at around 11:30 but "that's TOOOOOO loud, whaaaaaaa......!" . The EV speaker(s) I use mellow the amp considerably.
Shred depends on song when I play live, it's on when I practice at home but sometimes with the song I'm playing live I don't want shred.

Mmmmmmm, shred good!

Nothing... and turn up the volume. The shred mode can be a little over the top depending on tubes and pups. Petrucci uses an od pedal with his fyi.

I've used a recto for years before owning the JP2C, and I wen through a ton of ODs years ago looking for the right one for the recto. I settled on the Grid Slammer, as I felt it was a bit darker and had a bit more midrange growl to it than a classic tubescreamer. On the JP2C, I've been using the Grid Slammer with the red channel for rhythms, and the yellow channel with the shred mode for leads. I get a little darker rhythm sound and a little sharper lead sound, plus I almost always lean toward using the more aggressive channel on Mesas for rhythm and the yellow channel for leads. It works perfectly on the JP2C for me just like on my 3 channel recto.

Here's a vid I did recently and it has two channels of JP2C for the rhythm guitars with a grid slammer, and the lead is the yellow channel with shred mode. I have the gain knob pulled on both channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTuGfl_oY0

Markedman said:
Depends. Lately more shred than not. I've been running the treble low, 11 o'clock, presence pushed in but high, like 3-4 o'clock and that gets the gain up. Ch2 gain at 10-11 o'clock pushed, ch3 at 4 o'clock pushed, master at 10 o'clock, (if you can hear me 'it's too loud'") I'd prefer the master at around 11:30 but "that's TOOOOOO loud, whaaaaaaa......!" . The EV speaker(s) I use mellow the amp considerably.
Shred depends on song when I play live, it's on when I practice at home but sometimes with the song I'm playing live I don't want shred.

Mmmmmmm, shred good!

I would agree, the EV speakers really deliver the goods considerably better than the V30 when comparing two similar 412 cabs one loaded with the EV and the other with V30. One reason I use the Vertical 212 cab in stock trim, it provides deep bottom end that remains tight and plenty of midrange and treble that seems to be well balanced when you have the amp dialed in. When I use the EV speakers, I have to drop the channel masters a bit. My OS Recto 412 that I converted over to EV is incredible. Also perfect for the Roadster and its darker tones. What is cool about the EV, you do not need to reduce the bass control all that much but you might need to do so to prevent cardiac arrest.

Back