The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:00 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hello All
I am a new JP2C owner, I come from a Mesa Quad back around and still love the quad alot, but wanted a newer Mesa. I must say so far only about an hour on it, I am still dialing in my clean channel, but the potential is blowing me away. I used the Instant Grat Settings , man channel 2 is dead on ringer for Dream Theaters images and words tone. As to everything else time will tell.
If I like it enuff I will keep it if not I will sell it and say hey I tried it. BUT so far its amazing, gonna ab it with my quad set up next week. I paired it with a custom built (by LOPO to my design drawings) vertical 2x12 with Eminence Governor speakers, in parallel at 4 ohms, its a beast.
I will say this its tweaker's dream machine, you could dial in tone for the rest of your life.

Lok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:19 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Ok , could not wait to a b these rigs, so I jumped at it to day at home.

The Quad into a BK Butler ProValve in to the custom 2x12
The JP2C into a Mesa vert 2x12 recto cab.

The cleans from the JP2C are just shinier and bit more robust, The quad one rhythm can do that clean and sounds great, but the lead portion of channel on suffers(more on that to come)
The JP2C channel two is crushingly crisp, and definitive , once again the Quad can do this with lead one, but then I loose my clean settings and to lesser extent lead two can do this sound too.
Channel three is a goto sound for leads for me with very little work, The Quad in my setup is channel one lead solo set up, with lead two being a little bit of a variation on my lead.

So far the JP2C is doing what I hoped, which is replace the Quad. The Quad rack weighs in at 103 lbs , the JP2C is a mere 45 lbs

The Quad is no slouch, with my pedal board it is just as usable. It may lack some of the definition and robustness of the sound of the JP2C, but that could be due to older tubes.
The JP2C is really easy to set up , but takes some work to fine tune. I so far only think that the JP2C's only weak point is I wish I could foot switch the mode shred on and off.

I will be testing it more and more over the next couple of weeks.

Lok

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 am 
Mark II

I might be wrong, but since the JP-2C is Midi controllable, can't you hook it up to a MIDI controller and activate SHRED that way?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:35 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Why yes you can , I am still working on my knowledge from the Quad. So I may have to school up on midi controller for this amp. Thanks for the heads up Iron, Still just getting into the JP2C in the raw, using no effects other than the built in reverb. It does an awesome Triptykon, Type O Negative, and now I am playing around with Aerosmith tone , Next up an The Eagles, then maybe a Michael Schenker Tone.

Lok